Deftones-tones! Quantum JMP1/Brit Pre and OH G12K00 Dzl

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
I'm a huge Deftones fan and this band has had a huge influence on me as a musician.
I've always loved the guitar tones on their albums.
The guitar tones have always felt kind of elusive to me for some reason.
Small nuances in the guitar tones like modulation and maybe delay make the guitar tones sound modern and unique.
Once I even bought a JMP-1 because I wanted 'that' sound but I sold it because obviously just that pre-amp wasn't going to get me there.

So a few days ago I was listening to tracks from the 'Around The Fur' and 'White Pony' albums and I was loving the guitar tones as always.
I thought this was a good opportunity to make some tones and write a Deftones-ish kinda tune to showcase them.
I think they turned out pretty good.
It's not an exact copy of those tones of course but it gives a good overall Deftones type of tone.

For the left guitar I used the Brit Pre amp model and for the right side the JMP-1 OD2 model.
Both sounded cool so I thought I'd just record this demo with the 2 of them together.
You might get more accurate results if you use one of them only and double that.

I used the Ownhammer DZL pack with the G12K100 speakers.
Stef supposedly used K100's on those albums and they just sounded the most accurate to my ears.
I used my EMG equipped ESP but for the 2 albums I mentioned he used passive pickups.
So that's also a factor that could make the sounds a little different.
If you want it to sound a bit more phasey you can try to add some subtle en slow chorus.

Also, I was very lucky to have the Slate Drums Terry Date expansion which features the actual snare from the White Pony album.

I hope you enjoy this one, I wonder if you think the tones are accurate?

Guitarjon, never fails to amaze! Snare's right up there bud!

So let me get this straight,

Different amps on both sides? (Are those within axe fx, or have to be purchased externally?)

Plus the "Ownhammer's" set of Cabinets? (It will be my first ever purchase for external cabinets)

Different amps on both sides? (Are those within axe fx, or have to be purchased externally?)
Both amp models are in the Axe-Fx II (and AX8) already. You can't buy third party amp models for Fractal hardware. Only third party impulse responses.

Plus the "Ownhammer's" set of Cabinets? (It will be my first ever purchase for external cabinets)
These you'll have to buy from OwnHammer.

Sound is really thick on the Def Leopard tribute and well, for lack of any other description....bad ass! Phil Collen is a great guitar player. He may not be the most technical, but he kills on everything he plays!

Guitarjon, never fails to amaze! Snare's right up there bud!

So let me get this straight,

Thanks!
Yeah that's the actual snare! Pretty cool huh?
Different Axe FX amp models left and right, correct!

Sounds nice! Huge, HUGE fan of Deftones my self. :) Some kind of saturation in the high mids that isn't scoop enough for the "identical" deftones feel but sounds really nice in general! Really airy wide and beefy.

Sounds nice! Huge, HUGE fan of Deftones my self. :) Some kind of saturation in the high mids that isn't scoop enough for the "identical" deftones feel but sounds really nice in general! Really airy wide and beefy.
Thanks man!
Yeah it's tough to get it exactly right.
I don't know if I'll be able to get it much closer though.
Maybe other amp models like the JVM could even do the job better.
Oh well, close enough haha

Thanks man!
Yeah it's tough to get it exactly right.
I don't know if I'll be able to get it much closer though.
Maybe other amp models like the JVM could even do the job better.
Oh well, close enough haha
Believe me it's there! I've just nerded the band so throughoutly, that i'm a nihilist to the point of dickhead hahahaha.... I'd try scooping it by some mic phase or smth underneath to kill the mids a bit more, i think Carpenter has had that kind of a "faulty" phase in the gtr's that make it a bit more signature sound for him.

Believe me it's there! I've just nerded the band so throughoutly, that i'm a nihilist to the point of dickhead hahahaha.... I'd try scooping it by some mic phase or smth underneath to kill the mids a bit more, i think Carpenter has had that kind of a "faulty" phase in the gtr's that make it a bit more signature sound for him.
I'd love a preset! ;)

Ha! I might try something out out of a curiosity but it'll be damned from the scratch, it's a hard road for sure! I'll msg you if i get something decent out (which probably isn't gonna happen ;) )

Back
Top Bottom