Deftones Rig Rundown AXE II + MFC101

Wow very in-depth. :"Well here you see camouflage straps".
"I'm superficial, all those different guitars are just for looks".
Don't know him as a guitar player but not the most revealing interview.

Lol, that wasn't the best rig rundown I've seen...
I saw them live twice this year and the axe tones sounded quite awesome so I wonder why he isn't happy at the moment.

It seems it's just his stage sound that he is not happy with.... that and the stereo/mono thing, but that sounds more like a PA routing issue vs. AXE FX issue.... You could tell he was somewhat frustrated though... kind of funny

That is kind of funny. He doesn't seem very happy with his sound or rig at all...

This one is more interesting to me.. Alex Lifeson's Rig Rundown.

Alex Lifeson / Rush / Mark V Rig Tour - YouTube

This brings up a conversation piece (Maybe I should start a new thread so as not to hi-jack?). How much tonal difference do you think Alex gets by hauling around and maintaining that monster rig with all those amps vs. if he were to use his AXE for his amp tones instead of just his effects? What is preventing these big time players from making the full jump? I mean he already ditched his on stage cabs, so it's not a stage thump or feel thing.. I wonder what's behind that line of thought.

It seems it's just his stage sound that he is not happy with.... that and the stereo/mono thing, but that sounds more like a PA routing issue vs. AXE FX issue.... You could tell he was somewhat frustrated though... kind of funny

I think he was trying to run two amp blocks hard split L and R into his stereo 4x12 Marshall. That may be what he was dissatisfied with.

I tried that for awhile myself into a stereo Mesa cab, and was never pleased with the results. Got much better tone using just 1 amp block.

But using 2 mono cabs on stage with 2 amp blocks split L and R is a good time!!

LOL I love their music but they seem like they don't anything about the gear they use. :D Like before when they were using Guitar Rig live... I almost stopped listening to their music because of that. :D Now they have Axe-Fx's and I feel like they don't respect it as much as they should. :D

I'd like to know what he means with the stereo cabs sounding out of phase and everything.

I had this same issue when I was trying to do go stereo. I tried making it better by delaying the other side and changing the pitch a bit to make it sound like a doubled guitar basically. Then after a full day of tweaking I switched to mono and BOOM.. never went back. Stereo is just so unusable for me at least. Sure the stereo effects are great but if I'm on a stage and two different speakers are facing me then that means that I have to stay in that one position throughout the whole gig... that will not happen.

This is exactly when I imagined.... Years ago.

Gear rundown with Periphery: "here I have the Axe-fx controlled by my MFC..."
Gear rundown with Vai: "here I have the Axe-fx controlled by my MFC..."
Gear rundown with Stephen Carpenter: "here I have the Axe-fx controlled by my MFC..."
Gear rundown with James and Kirk from Metallica: "here I have the Axe-fx controlled by my MFC..."

All these guys are doing is copying my rig from years ago...

Gear rundown with Mo from PigWeed (circa 2008): "here I have the Axe-fx controlled by my FBC..."

:p

All you people whining about the fact that he's superficial about his gear, who cares? Does this really effect the quality of their music? No. Not everyone wants to be super involved with the gear side of things. Some just want something that works simply, so they can concentrate on the music. I can't understand saying you would stop listening to their music because they were using guitar rig live. Also, if you want more depth, watch the various other rig rundowns Steph has done over the last few years and add all the info together. They guy isn't gear obsessed. Get over it.

All you people whining about the fact that he's superficial about his gear, who cares? Does this really effect the quality of their music? No. Not everyone wants to be super involved with the gear side of things. Some just want something that works simply, so they can concentrate on the music. I can't understand saying you would stop listening to their music because they were using guitar rig live. Also, if you want more depth, watch the various other rig rundowns Steph has done over the last few years and add all the info together. They guy isn't gear obsessed. Get over it.

With all due respect, when someone posts a rig rundown it's usually because it's a rig rundown, not what we saw.
Personally I'm not knocking the guy cause I never heard of him. But let's face it, the people on this forum are gear geeks like myself so a video like that is nothing you would expect.

I've got to admit Fractal setups make boring Rig Rundowns. I'm a big fan of Deftones, and Carpenter, and i think he is just like a lot of guitarists. We are never satisfied with our sound. It can always sound better.

With all due respect, when someone posts a rig rundown it's usually because it's a rig rundown, not what we saw.
Personally I'm not knocking the guy cause I never heard of him. But let's face it, the people on this forum are gear geeks like myself so a video like that is nothing you would expect.

With all due respect, it's a rig rundown; he gives the rundown of his rig.

Also, people on this forum aren't the entirety of the audience for this. Do you realize how sick the majority of metal fandom is of seeing rig rundowns with the Axe FX? Go look in the comments on Youtube and elsewhere. So, if viewer expectations are the important part, and the artist is somehow responsible for making these things "entertaining," then get ready to stop seeing any with the Axe. Ooooor... we can just accept that the artists are going to do exactly what this is, an explanation of their rig. I would rather they be honest about their gear choices than have them come up with some bullshit excuse to pad out time and give the people that are more into the gear than the music something to talk about. Plus, you knnow, we should just be thankful that we live in a time when we actually get this kind of stuff at all.

Back
Top Bottom