FM9 Deftones - My Own Summer (Ripx DeepRemix test)

Romo82

Experienced
Just burning off a bit of sunday afternoon, it was more to test RipX DeepRemix and see how well it worked but figured I'd throw some guitars on there with the FM9.

Used the Big Hair amp model in to 4x12 1960A 300W 414 cab, trying to keep to what SC was supposedly using at the time of the album (ADA MP-1) and what he'd said in interviews about gear around that time. Did use a smattering of extra reverb on the verse guitar to get it closer to the recorded sound but other than a touch of treble boost post-EQ its all fractal on the guitars, double tracked for both verse and main rhythms.

DeepRemix seems to work quite well though when you export the instrument stems to bring into DAW they seem to get a bit wishy washy and choppy, I'm guessing due to the EQ manipulation in extracting each "layer". Perfectly fine for practicing and possibly making backing tracks. I think exporting songs from RipX yields a smoother result than exporting stems and reassembling in DAW however then you dont have flexibility to adjust the instrument levels. But for making a quick backing track using the original song its pretty good IMO.

Last edited:
Here's the preset. I put it together to get a close enough tone for the first 3 albums and the scenes are labelled accordingly for the general main distorted rhythm sound on that album. The other scenes are clean tones that are a little more song specific;

Scene 1 Clean is a heavy compressed clean with a small modulation blend similar to the intro to Knife Party.

Scene 2 Clean FX is an attempt to reproduce the middle, clean break in Digital Bath where Frank has samples running in the background, its pretty cool IMO.

Scene 6 Crispy is an "edge-of-breakup" style thing that's good for the intro to Change.

I tried to use the same gear models for what was used on the recordings, as best i can research and i think it gets pretty close. The Adrenalin rhythm is probably the one I'm least happy with but I've found that sound to be pretty hard to reproduce well. The ATF and WP ones are good to my ears.

As always, tweak it to suite your gear and ears. Credit to LT for his TV Mix 7 I've used here.

Attachments

• DEFTONES V2.fasBundle
    34.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Made some tweaks to this preset for anyone interested. Got much closer sounding, especially for the Adrenaline tone i think.

Uses FW 6.00

Attachments

• DEFTONES V2.fasBundle
    34.6 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom