Deftones got Fractalized? Whaaa?!?! Yes!!!

biggness

Power User
Looks like both Steph and the bassist(sorry, I don't know the new guy's name) are both now using AxeFx's direct to PA. This is awesome news!!! Not only are Deftones the most popular(read - accessible to non-guitarists) band that is using AxeFx's now, but I am happy Steph hopped on board. I love his playing. :)

Pretty cool that they use some "stands" for the AxeFx's that look like 4x12 cabs, but upon further inspection, they are just some neat stands. lol

They got a gig at the annual meeting of plastic surgeons (2.43)? ;)

Interesting "vocal" effect BTW, like if a filter kicks in when he moves the mic away.

That definitely sounds like a board mix. It's really hard to hear how good it sounds, but it's still cool.

Does anyone now if it's an ULTRA or a II?

EDIT: I looked closer and noticed the meters weren't next to the display. It's gotta be an ULTRA.

And as a sound guy, the hi-hat mic is driving me insane...

Stephs Guitar tech came out to my house one day and bought half of my stuff I think that his name was Drew. he said he was the tech for the deftones and was about to go on tour with fleetwood mac after the new year. He was asking me why I was selling everything that I had (big monster rig) and I told I'm saving for the MFC Midi pedal. So I played my AXE FX for him, but at the time didn't seem that interested. its funny he showed me that page that was about to be released to guitar world that next month. I'm glad they made the change. I live in Peoria AZ and it's a pretty big heavy metal town, I have definitely sold a lot of stuff over the years to pros and techs. He was a really nice guy by the way, he was definately loving his life.

I would think that most touring pros that are out on the road right now are not going to change out their Ultras for '2's until after their tours are over. Makes no sense to shift something that major mid-tour.

I knew that it would eventually happen. I was so unimpressed to see that he had a guitar rig set up at first. it was only a matter of time till he got himself an Ultra. i absolutely love Deftones but that song did absolutely nothing for me at all.

Steph's rig has always blown my mind. Yeah, it sounded decent live but he was using a combination of Guitar Rig and live Amps for half of the set then switching. It seemed like an insane amount of work and gear for what he was acchieving.

I don't like the tone in the video but its not the amplification, its the fact that that song is tuned to drop poop flat haha

With that being said I'm super glad he's playing Fractal now.

He could have just used the iRig on his iPhone and been iDone with it... with regards to the video, I hate to say it but it sounded like sh*t... very "trebly" and it actually sounds like the action on his guitar is very low and it's hitting the crap out of his frets. I wish there was higher quality version available... maybe it would sound different...

Last edited:
SynFactory,

I thought the same thing on his prior rig! I saw that layout in Guitar World and thought, "Damn, I'd be afraid to move onstage if that were me!!!"

i wish they played a better song. that woulda been better... i love kim dracula. that's rad.

Dunno. The song kinda grows on me. First time I didn't recognize the structure etc., but I like the atmosphere it creates, and the drums part that's not exactly mainstream.

He is playing his 8 strings there, so a trebbly sound kinda makes sense. That being said: Mr Carpenter is a sonic wizard, and I look forward to hear what he can do with the AXE FX on record.
Funny, he always struck as a pedals kinda guy.

I wish they played Rocket skates, I think that song would demonstrate his tone better. That open pattern grooves sooo hard hhaa

Back
Top Bottom