Definition Control in Amp Block: Any real tube amps that have something similar?

Luca9583

Inspired
I know that the definition control shapes the high end before it hits the input of the amp block, but was wondering what exactly this is.

It sounds like it shapes the tone around the 1k area, and really tightens up the low end for very low tunings, much like an eq in front of an amp.

Also, do any of you guys know of any tube heads/preamps that have a similar vibe? I've heard clips of the Fortin Natas that seems to have a similar quality with it's Girth and Grind controls

From the V6 release notes

"Added Definition control to Amp block. This parameter allows changing the fundamental character of the amp from vintage to modern or vice-versa. Positive values increase the amount of upper overtone saturation whilst negative values reinforce lower harmonics."

If I had to guess, I would go with kisslorand's explanation though there are many other areas in an actual tube amp one could achieve similar results. Such as increasing or decreasing the cathode bypass capacitor on the first gain stage (though this achieves the result in a different manner). It's also possible to achieve similar, but fundamentally different, results by altering the capacitor in the depth (power amp negative feedback loop) circuit.

There are many ways to achieve this result in an actual tube amp.

Last edited:
I know that the definition control shapes the high end before it hits the input of the amp block, but was wondering what exactly this is.

It sounds like it shapes the tone around the 1k area, and really tightens up the low end for very low tunings, much like an eq in front of an amp.

Also, do any of you guys know of any tube heads/preamps that have a similar vibe? I've heard clips of the Fortin Natas that seems to have a similar quality with it's Girth and Grind controls

I believe the freq of the tilt eq is model dependent
My orange OR50 seems to do something similar

Now that you mention "tilt EQ", I remember Cliff going over this at Axe Fest West. I cant wait for the Advanced Parameters video to come out. It should answer a whole slew of questions people have.

According to my understanding of this parameter most amps have this type of circuit. However, it is usually fixed.

Back
Top Bottom