Default output level of the Axe-Fx III is lower than the Axe-Fx II

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The default Output Level for Output 1 and 2 is -10 dBv. This was done to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. (IOW cheap stuff). Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so if using a pro-grade interface, mixer, etc. you may want to go into the Global menu and change the level to +4 dBu.

The default Output Level for Output 1 and 2 is -10 dBv. This was done to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. (IOW cheap stuff). Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so if using a pro-grade interface, mixer, etc. you may want to go into the Global menu and change the level to +4 dBu.

+1 Yes, I changed from the XL+ to FX III and use Output 1 into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The first thing I had to do was go to Setup - I/O and change the Output Level for Output 1 to +4 and all was good again.

Last edited:
Good to know. Had the ax8 and III hooked up into the clr tonight and couldn’t figure out why I had to run the output knob set so much higher on the III. Switched to +4 and it’s all good now.

Ax8 still sounds great but the III feels a little more dynamic

Good to know. Had the ax8 and III hooked up into the clr tonight and couldn’t figure out why I had to run the output knob set so much higher on the III. Switched to +4 and it’s all good now.

Ax8 still sounds great but the III feels a little more dynamic

III is a little punchier. I really notice it when I A/B between the III and II (or the AX-8). If you plug into one and then plug into the other it's not as noticeable but if you use an A/B switch it's a more marked difference.

III is a little punchier. I really notice it when I A/B between the III and II (or the AX-8). If you plug into one and then plug into the other it's not as noticeable but if you use an A/B switch it's a more marked difference.
This. I couldn’t quite put my finger on what’s different but punchier is a good word. The 5153 100 watt blue is fantastic on the II and AX8 but it’s on another level in the III. Didn’t think that was possible. Kudo’s to you guys for doing it.

I couldn’t quite put my finger on what’s different but punchier is a good word. The 5153 100 watt blue is fantastic on the II and AX8 but it’s on another level in the III.

^ I have been stuck on this damn amp and the JS410 Lead Orange for 5 days now. I have finally....FINALLY found "That" sound that I've been looking for, or better yet, the sound that I didn't realize would move me so much. Small EQ sweeps up or down for backing/lead presets... done.

Take it with a grain of salt because I'm a ham-and-egg'er compared to a lot of the pro's on here, but, there is something going on that feels like that it's more than some miniscule boost or bump. I love learning what makes the magic in the magic trick, but I also love holding onto that wonder when you first see it. Iunno, still trying to figure it out but might just say F it and go with it and enjoy the ride :D

Not sure if it is just me, but the cab block seems to sound much better in the III. I don't have my AX8 anymore to compare.

I usually run the double verb for music of my cleans live and go to the IIC for a solo sound...the punch is pretty apparent when you bounce between these two models in the III...the DV just kinda bounces out of the speaker...

The punch is the first thing I noticed ,again its not huge and its a feel thing as well
I mentioned this on another forum ,the 100 watt Hi Gain heads feel a little stiffer and a little bigger more open like a big iron 100watt power section with a ton of headroom does . The 3 starts to bridge that gap of the compressed, polite perfectly tweaked studio mic'd recorded Recto and the same amp in the room next to you .

Anyway thats my opinion at this point and what I hear and feel

Thanks Cliff....great information! :)

One other question...how do I get Outputs 3 & 4 to output at the same level as I & 2 now that they (1 & 2) are at +4db?

To note: I have 3 & 4 set to copy settings from "output 1" in the I/O settings

Thanks,
D

One other question...how do I get Outputs 3 & 4 to output at the same level as I & 2 now that they (1 & 2) are at +4db?

Thanks,
D
Isn't there a 3/4 setting for +4 in I/o?

Thanks,
D

They aren't really designed for that. If you want more signal at those outputs you need to put those Output blocks in the preset and increase the Level in the block.

Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use.

Back
Top Bottom