Default output level of the Axe-Fx III is lower than the Axe-Fx II

As a side note Re: out 3 & 4, page 30 of the manual states that "Outputs 3 & 4 provide unity gain when the knob is fully clockwise".

Yes. Thanks for sharing that.

I measured Output1 XLR output against the Axe III S/PDIF signal to check it, and it is like the Axe-Fx (11:30/noon), but on the AX8 you have to turn it all the way up to get the digital signal to unity gain.. and the AxeIII is also set in I/O Audio sub-menu to +4dbv nominal output (not -10dbv like on Axe-Fx) to get there ...so it is different than both the AX8 and Axe-Fx in how that works.

EDIT: The above is no longer relevant and should be ignored.

In new firmware 5.x, I use Out1 up and output at +4db (not -10), else my signal into Apollo is too weak.

Last edited:
The default Output Level for Output 1 and 2 is -10 dBv. This was done to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. (IOW cheap stuff). Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so if using a pro-grade interface, mixer, etc. you may want to go into the Global menu and change the level to +4 dBu.

The Axe FX 3 arrived yesterday. I disconnected the XLR outs of my Axe FX 2 and connected them to Output 1 of the Axe FX 3 and noticed a loss in output signal. Of course these are two different devices, but I noticed that I have to set the Axe FX 3 to +4 and the Avid Omni interface to -10 to get a healthy signal. If both devices are at -10, or both are at +4 I lose about -14 db of output. The meters on the Axe FX 3 don't show a loss of about -14db. I apologize if I'm missing something, but I don't see any other changes to make. Is this to be expected? Thanks!

The Axe FX 3 arrived yesterday. I disconnected the XLR outs of my Axe FX 2 and connected them to Output 1 of the Axe FX 3 and noticed a loss in output signal. Of course these are two different devices, but I noticed that I have to set the Axe FX 3 to +4 and the Avid Omni interface to -10 to get a healthy signal. If both devices are at -10, or both are at +4 I lose about -14 db of output. The meters on the Axe FX 3 don't show a loss of about -14db. I apologize if I'm missing something, but I don't see any other changes to make. Is this to be expected? Thanks!
Where do you have the Out1 knob set?

With Out1 cranked all the way up and set to +4 dBu, the Axe III has enough level to drive anything hard. What else is downstream from the Axe that might be attenuating your signal?

There is nothing that can attenuate the signal in the path. I'm going XLR outs 1 from the Axe FX 3 to TRS 1&2 on on my Omni interface. I can plug in the Axe FX 2 with everything else exactly the same and there is no low signal issue.

The meters on the front of the Omni and inside of Pro Tools 12.8. Again, the Fractal Axe FX V2 does not respond this way. Here is the question, is it normal to have to set the Axe FX 3 to +4 and the interface to -10 to have the same levels as the Axe FX 2?

The meters on the front of the Omni and inside of Pro Tools 12.8. Again, the Fractal Axe FX V2 does not respond this way. Here is the question, is it normal to have to set the Axe FX 3 to +4 and the interface to -10 to have the same levels as the Axe FX 2?
No, that’s not normal. Output levels should be similar across devices. I have Axe III, Axe II and AX8 all running to a mixer, and they all have similar levels.

Is this happening across all presets, a few presets, or just one?

No, that’s not normal. Output levels should be similar across devices. I have Axe III, Axe II and AX8 all running to a mixer, and they all have similar levels.

Is this happening across all presets, a few presets, or just one?

I appreciate you responding to me. It's every preset. The concern is taking it live where they want +4 at their board or stage box inputs. Maybe they could simply turn it up, but it's one more concern at a show. I updated the firmware to 1.15 once it arrived. Everything went as expected. Utilities > Firmware shows FW 1.15, USB 1.06, FPGA 16. I need to determine if this is something that can be resolved in a firmware update or if there is a possible hardware issue.

What results do you get when connecting via TRS or TS?

It doesn't look like the Axe FX 3 has TRS outputs. The user guide states that the Humbuster outs are TRS at the Axe FX 3, then the other end of the Humbuster cable TS, so the TRS test doesn't seem possible. Am I misunderstanding?

It doesn't look like the Axe FX 3 has TRS outputs. The user guide states that the Humbuster outs are TRS at the Axe FX 3, then the other end of the Humbuster cable TS, so the TRS test doesn't seem possible. Am I misunderstanding?
You're right. But that still leaves the TS option. :)

You're right. But that still leaves the TS option. :)

No problem. Something lovely? My Avid Omni interface doesn't have unbalanced inputs for the TS test. It does have instrument inputs, but I'm not sure if this would tell me anything. The issue has been narrowed down to having to mismatch the signals to get an expected level. Don't get me wrong, when I set it this way I'm getting the richest, most violent tone I've ever had. For that I am grateful, but I need to make sure this is working as expected. So far it seems like a hardware issue, or something that could be resolved in firmware.

No problem. Something lovely? My Avid Omni interface doesn't have unbalanced inputs for the TS test. It does have instrument inputs, but I'm not sure if this would tell me anything. The issue has been narrowed down to having to mismatch the signals to get an expected level. Don't get me wrong, when I set it this way I'm getting the richest, most violent tone I've ever had. For that I am grateful, but I need to make sure this is working as expected. So far it seems like a hardware issue, or something that could be resolved in firmware.
It's probably not a firmware issue, because other people aren't experiencing it. Time to contact Fractal support.

This was completely my fault. The Axe FX 3 outputs are as expected. I have excuses on why I went down such a rabbit hole, but it doesn't matter. It was my fault entirely. A tech from Fractal called me and was incredibly sharp and patient. He created a preset for us to test, etc. I bypassed all of my recording gear, connected to a completely different system at a different studio with the Apollo Twin and signals were fine. If anyone ever has issues with levels I'll be happy to share what I know. Rex, thank you for responding to me about my phantom issue.

This was completely my fault. The Axe FX 3 outputs are as expected. I have excuses on why I went down such a rabbit hole, but it doesn't matter. It was my fault entirely. A tech from Fractal called me and was incredibly sharp and patient. He created a preset for us to test, etc. I bypassed all of my recording gear, connected to a completely different system at a different studio with the Apollo Twin and signals were fine. If anyone ever has issues with levels I'll be happy to share what I know. Rex, thank you for responding to me about my phantom issue.
I'm glad you got it sorted out. You're not a real member of the forum until you've made at least one forehead-slapping mistake. :)

Welcome to the club!

Back
Top Bottom