Default or stock settings

Wildwind

Experienced
Not sure how to express this. In my Line 6 days, the default when bringing a new amp model into a patch chose their "stock" settings (and wiping out the ones you already had) with the intent of giving users typical amp settings as starting points. I don't remember if it did that for things besides amps.

Does the Axe-Fx II have something like? Using AE? It would be helpful if a new amp or OD or whatever coud be made to drop in with "typical" settings for that unit. As it is now, for example, my existing OD settings remain no matter what block I use (with scary results at times). It would be helpful to at least get an idea of how that OD (or whatever) is typically set.

When introducing a new amp block, I've noticed an occasional position change in a bright switch, but as far as I have observed, all the other knobs stay in the same place.

Make sense?

What are typical settings though? Can you give an example of a typical setting for an amp?

No. That's what I'm after. I guess if you're asking, then that option doesn't exist other than searching presets - which I don't think will help on ODs.

Don't feel bad for asking the question. There used to be a reset feature to get the amp block back to the "default" ("typical") state, but that seems to be gone. Amp block reset - Axe-Fx II Wiki

There is a thread -- I think in shared presets -- that has recommended settings for a lot of effects including ODS. I think it may be called The Mother of All Effects (or that may be the old one).

Keen to know this too. If you reset a block, does it go back to the ideal block settings as set from Fractal? or do the knobs just go to the mid-way points?

Double tap the bypass button to reset the current selected block back to factory defaults. Not ideal settings but more of a neutral starting point. Gain and EQ controls go to halfway and advanced parameters to typical settings for that amp model.

Yeah, I thought that used to be an option long ago (I've had mine for just over three years is all).

Mr_Fender - thanks for that, will give it a try. The L6 concept was actually pretty useful at times, especially if you have no idea how certain amps or pedals are usually set (or therabouts). I've owned three Mark series Boogies - you can quickly get those knobs so out of whack you can't stand it. I would go back to the manual (or notes if I made them), find "BF Clean" or something and all was good.

A way cool feature of our units is we get to play amps we'll never own or even see. But often I'll try one and instantly un-try it, leaving me to wonder why Cliff bothered modeling something so awful. Now I do know better, but that's what raised the question.

You can also use global blocks to save your favorite block settings and then import them into new presets later.

Oh so not typical settings, but just resetting the block? OP made it seem otherwise.

New blocks and types within them set to "stock" aka good sounding settings when you insert them new onto the grid. Essentially, they default to values that sound good on their own and are also good starting points for tweaking to your liking.

Cooper, that's what I'm after. But I'm not getting that. Swap out a block and my previous settings stay the same. Or are you talking about bringing them into the grid another way? I pretty much only use AE for this stuff - is that my problem?

Thanks everyone.

I think the easiest way to do what you're looking for is what Cooper is saying. Take a blank spot on the grid, insert new amp of your choice. Voila, default settings for the amp.

some of this is inaccurate.

if you had a block in the preset with certain settings, delete the block, then simply re-add the same block again, it still has the "old" settings there. so doing that doesn't solve the OP's problem.

Chris is right - doesn't work. I deleted my original Drive 1 block completely and tried a dozen other drive blocks (included a fuzz or two). Every time my settings were the same as the deleted block. Same with amps.

Maybe on a truly blank patch this would work? I could then save the blocks and put them where I want? How do you make a truly blank patch? Use that bypass (384?)?

I have another way to do this, but it requires studying presets (including Fremen's, which I still haven't opened) and look to swipe those ideas - assuming the author is going for "normal" (for me" tones. My tones are pretty straight, nothing radical, no ambience, etc.

again, the issue is the question:

do you want "typical" settings that were curated by someone to "sound good"?

or are you asking for a way to reset the block to some sort of neutral setting?

Sorry I didn't make that clear from the start.

I am looking for the typical. As I may have stated, I simply don't know how many of these amps and pedals are supposed to sound for "common" use (I know that isn't specific...). I have no interest in a neutral setting.

some of this is inaccurate.

if you had a block in the preset with certain settings, delete the block, then simply re-add the same block again, it still has the "old" settings there. so doing that doesn't solve the OP's problem.

OK, haven't encountered that, don't swap blocks enough I guess. So then the answer for Axe edit is to use the reset option in the block tab, right?

AE has a way to do that? I should know that by now. My rig is not here right now, so I can't mess around. I don't think AE will work offline.

Yea, if you drop a new block onto the grid, you'll get default settings, but they aren't necessarily "curated" or set to "typical settings" for that amp or effect. Often they're just straight up the middle, i.e. B/M/T/Drive all set at 5. The Master Vol will reset to whatever FAS had set though.

Actually, I prefer it the way it is when switching blocks... I don't want it to reset. Let's say you've dialed in a certain Fender tone, and now you want to compare it to other Fenders, or maybe see how some other clean amp sounds *at those settings*, not back to default. When I had an HD500, this was one of the things I really didn't like... that it would reset everything each time you changed the amp.

Back
Top Bottom