DEF LEPPARD - Tonight cover video [w/ patches!]

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
What’s up dudes! ;)
So, this year marks the 25th anniversary of Adrenalize and the 30th of Hysteria, two HUGE records that still to this day remain among my personal favorites.

One of my favorite tracks off Adrenalize has always been Tonight, so I’ve decided to experiment a bit with the AxeFx and see how close I could get to that tone (on Hysteria it’s no secret they’ve used the Rockmans, but I’m not quite sure about what was used on Adrenalize).

Anyway, there are TONS of layers on the record, I think I've managed to get a pretty convincing Def Leppard-ish clean sound by stacking my sh**ty 80€ acoustic (mic’ed up with an sm57) and my electric guitar, played on the bridge pickup (a Seymour Duncan 35th Anniversary JB) using the USA Pre Clean in the AxeFx. The distorted parts were played on the Friedman BE v1. Huge amounts of delays and reverb going on here, so beware:D:D

Here’s the video

And here’s my isolated guitar track, so you can hear the AxeFx tones by themselves, both clean and distorted

Have fun with the patches (AxeFx XL+, fw Q8.02) and let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• DEF LEPPARD be100.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DEF LEPPARD clean.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 189
Dude! This totally rocks! I love the Adrenalize album. All your videos ALWAYS have great production. I would love to see a video someday of your recording process from beginning to end i.e. "all your secrets" ;) I love huge amounts of reverb and delay. Thanks for the patches! Gonna try em' out right now.

Dude! This totally rocks! I love the Adrenalize album. All your videos ALWAYS have great production. I would love to see a video someday of your recording process from beginning to end i.e. "all your secrets" ;) I love huge amounts of reverb and delay. Thanks for the patches! Gonna try em' out right now.
thanks dude! that's a good suggestion for a future video! I'll see what I can do ;)

Excellent bro. You have a knack for nailing it once again. The cleans sound great with what you did with it. Was taken back with your on spot accuracy when you double/triple your tracks.

Just listened to the isolated tracks. Wonderful dynamic with the acoustic complimenting. The swells, the textures you created, and choice of sounds were really spot on.

I could totally see George Lynch trying to steal your gear for your sound after he loots Demartini's again...lol.

Take care bro. Awesome job.

*Side note question.. with all of the attention to detail and performances, how much time does a project like this take to complete?

Last edited:
Excellent bro. You have a knack for nailing it once again. The cleans sound great with what you did with it. Was taken back with your on spot accuracy when you double/triple your tracks.

Just listened to the isolated tracks. Wonderful dynamic with the acoustic complimenting. The swells, the textures you created, and choice of sounds were really spot on.

I could totally see George Lynch trying to steal your gear for your sound after he loots Demartini's again...lol.

Take care bro. Awesome job.

*Side note question.. with all of the attention to detail and performances, how much time does a project like this take to complete?
thanks dude! let's see, creating the patches takes me about 2-3 hours, depending on how close I wanna get to the original tones, then recording, shooting the video and editing, I'd say 2-3 days in total!

Awesome. I think your biceps are also growing the better your videos get?! Progressive biceps !

Wow, ProgressiveRocco this is great and you ROC'K all the way! I will try those patches today. Love the guitar. Cheers.

EPIC! Really well done end to end.
I really dug the tones and playing. Production on this is spot on as well.

Dude that sounds kick ass,do the patches transfer well live at stage volume? Or do you have different patches for recording versus live play thanks Gary

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff!!

Hysteria was the album that got me into music and Adrenalize came out when I was really getting into guitar. So both albums are my foundation in guitar.

You really nailed the Adrenalize tone there.

IIRC Phil used the dirt channel Rockman of some sort into, into a TC Parametric into an EQ strip off an SSL desk. He also used a Randall RG80 miked up for a couple of solos. I think maybe for Tonight and Tear it Down as the tone is slightly different to some of the other solos.
He used his Jacksons, some shop bought Charvels, and a Tom Anderson tele his then wife got him. The solos of Lets get Rocked and part of White Lightning are a Les Paul on the neck pickup.

Yes, I am a Def Leppard nerd.......

Back
Top Bottom