Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

Yeah, I don't need no "genuine human interaction" then. I had a feeling I wasn't
missing out on much. Thanks for the confirmation. :)
lol, I'm losing track of it also - my spouse keeps telling me I better get off that stupid forum or start figuring a way to sleep in the garden shed.

must admit, the humour here does often feel like genuine human interaction - I've had lots of good smiles from many of the lighter posts here🙏, and hopefully have generated a few chuckles here and there for others:tonguewink:

must admit, the humour here does often feel like genuine human interaction - I've had lots of good smiles from many of the lighter posts here🙏, and hopefully have generated a few chuckles here and there for others:tonguewink:

Yup. Great points! It's a guitar forum. Not a neurosurgery forum. :)

I love a lot about this forum, but this kind of BS won't stand here, and won't stand with me. You suggest I should bend over and take it, and let everyone who's acting like as big a jerk they can do this kind of crap in the future? Then maybe if I'm lucky you, and I, and anyone else who might disagree with anyone else on this forum can be lambasted, rather than just be able to say, "I disagree," calmly, and just discuss things like cool people, instead of just turning childish. It's hateful. I don't want to help this forum turn into a terrible place by letting bullies act out their nature. You think it's a good idea for this forum to mirror this particular thread? I think that would be a terrible waste of an otherwise great forum.

What's next? You bring up a bug in the lastest firmware, and you're a loser? Or you suggest someone not buy a particular guitar, and you know nothing about music? You think this thread is okay, and I'm out of line for calling it out?

The responses on this thread have become completely out of line. I really don't know what it takes for disagreement of this trivial a nature to turn into attempts at attacking entire groups of people who feel differently. It's like some sort of hyper-politics. This forum can be a great place where we all come with different musical perspectives and talk about them, rather than just attacking each other.
I finished high school missing 3 teeth.

I promise you, absolutely nothing said on this thread rises to the level of bullying.

Feeling bullied and actual bullying can be a world apart. How drab of a world would it be if we placated everyone’s feelings, no matter how far removed from reality they may be? I see mostly 10 pages of adults discussing the video. If you feel someone’s attacked you personally, report that post. I dont see it.

I finished high school missing 3 teeth.

I promise you, absolutely nothing said on this thread rises to the level of bullying.

Feeling bullied and actual bullying can be a world apart. How drab of a world would it be if we placated everyone’s feelings, no matter how far removed from reality they may be? I see mostly 10 pages of adults discussing the video. If you feel someone’s attacked you personally, report that post. I dont see it.

I don't feel personally attacked, and the only kind of post I would ever report would be something crazy like criminal threats, hate speech, or something probably any of us would report. And what I wrote wasn't directed at you, Bruce. As you wrote, you provided an off ramp. And yes, bullying where you physically try to destroy someone in person is way different than bullying online, but it doesn't negate that bullying exists online. As you wrote earlier, if we disagree, let's discuss. I think that's fun, because I can always learn something. I love learning new things and having my mind changed. And it's not like the comments I'm writing against were even directed at me. The reason I feel strongly about this is because the disparaging comments were aimed at anyone who disagrees. The tactic of online bullying has the aim of silencing dissent. Here I don't understand at all, because the topic of this thread is fun, and doesn't matter at all. But I don't want to see this kind of thing spread in this forum. It' really rare to see this kind of thing here, where, instead of just talking about what we think about something having to do with guitar or music, or whatever, a whole group starts denigrating anyone who could potentially disagree.

What pisses me off is people who try to shut down conversation. Here, there's not much to say; it's just "good tone" or "bad tone", or "cool performance" or "not cool performance." Who cares? I'm not looking at fighting over Def Leppard, for god's sake, but I really love being on this forum, and if the whole forum were full of statements like, "Anyone who doesn't share my point of view is a bitter loser who's never done anything in their life," then that would kill it for me. That a lot of the way people describe Twitter. I don't go on any social media for that reason, because I love thoughtful conversation, especially where there's disagreement, but that only works when there's discussion, not blanket attacks on entire groups of people. In the case of this thread, I don't even understand the parallels between what people are arguing and the correlations they draw. Which tells me they're just angry that anyone disagrees. Again, there's not much to debate about the topic of this forum, and no, haha, I'm not asking for a bunch of people to placate my feelings or anything else about me. I grew up dirt poor and paid my own dues, which I still pay, believe me, and I have no illusions about what's "owed" to anyone, or what how much anyone gives a damn about anyone else online, or in the real world. Compassion, empathy, civility, and respect are all acts of volition. But I love the tone of this forum in general, if every thread were like this one, I wouldn't be a part of it. I'm just doing what I can to keep this a place for civility and cool discussion, which is what attracts me to this forum in the first place, and why I don't even try to participate elsewhere. I've already learned a ton from the time I've joined.

Bringing this back on track, Def Lep played live on Sirius XM 80s last night. For me, it might be different, since my work has allowed me to become friends with the band and crew, but I really enjoy hearing them play.

PS: If you like Def Leppard and similar music from that era, you may also enjoy the band "Tempt". Young guys but with a great appreciation of retro rock. @Larry Mitchell introduced me to the guitar player's dad, who owned a great studio in NYC for many years before retiring. They're currently on tour with Download supporting Tremonti, Iron Maiden, etc.

I love a handful of Def Leppard songs, but they lost me after the Hysteria album. I tried to listen, but the style changed so much at a certain point I just couldn't hang with them at all.

Funny, when that album came out I couldn't stand it as it sounded so different than their previous stuff, too "produced". But it was everywhere and I absolutely couldn't get away from it. Now when I hear those songs I love them, because it brings me back to when I was young and hated them. ;)

In the early 80s there were music fans like me that loved hard rock but were not into the more speedy metal sounds like Maiden, JP... (though those seem tame to me now). Def Leppard was a breath of fresh air for us as our 70s hard rock heros were fading a little and euro new wave was everywhere. Here's a blast from the past (83) - Forum discussions getting you down?, take Phil's advice and > > >

Last edited:
Bringing this back on track, Def Lep played live on Sirius XM 80s last night. For me, it might be different, since my work has allowed me to become friends with the band and crew, but I really enjoy hearing them play.

PS: If you like Def Leppard and similar music from that era, you may also enjoy the band "Tempt". Young guys but with a great appreciation of retro rock. @Larry Mitchell introduced me to the guitar player's dad, who owned a great studio in NYC for many years before retiring. They're currently on tour with Download supporting Tremonti, Iron Maiden, etc.

So when are the Def Leppard artist presets being released? Lol

In the early 80s there were music fans like me that loved hard rock but were not into the more speedy metal sounds like Maiden, JP (though those seem tame to me now). Def Leppard was a breath of fresh air for us as our 70s hard rock heros were fading a little and euro new wave was everywhere.
Agreed! I started college in 1983 and they played Def Leppard in the bars all the time. Much Music launched the following year in Canada and their videos were on all the time. It was hard not to become a fan of their music.

After Rick Allen's accident, I thought for sure they were done, but it's absolutely remarkable how he didn't give up and continued drumming.

Don’t really think there’s anything wrong with the tone. I do agree that the mix isn’t great. But that’s televised performances for you. What else is new?

Love the band but they stopped being interesting when Steve Clark passed.
Have to agree with this... I was a big fan as a kid and still crank it up when I hear them on the radio. Pyromania will always be the quintessential Def Leppard album in my mind with Hysteria a close 2nd. Just my opinion. I didn't care much for albums after Steve Clark passed. However, gotta hand it to them for persevering after the drummer lost his arm and then losing Steve.

Back
Top Bottom