Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

Watched a DF concert on Axs Tv this past weekend. The show was originally aired in 2020 so it was recorded some time before that - they sounded great

I guess I am back to my original thought....but let me say it more bluntly.

Those who can't play on stage, never toured, never recorded in a studio, never made an album or many, and don't really call music their "profession" seem to be the biggest critics here. This is a business and lots of lines in the sand have to drawn.

Those that actually DO and CAN DO the previous (the real players), don't care about any of this non sense.

They sound as expected Def Leppard would, period.

I see no reason to keep nit picking "amp tone" in an already acceptable mix - esp one captured on a phone.

You like blanket statements implying a ton about those who disagree? Believe me, if you could not handle genuine-hearted criticism of a talk show performance, you would lose your minds over what anyone could imply about you based on your defense of this. That’s an ugly and hateful road you’ve begun to build.

I find disagreement a potential for better understanding on all sides of a thought. It’s weird, are you guys trying to goad some dirty fight or something? I feel like there’s some drunk guy at a bar who’s in my face trying to get me to fight him after his girlfriend just left with another dude.

I love a bunch of Def Leppard songs, and I thought this live performance was lame, and the new song sounded like a truck commercial. And you know what, if you like either the live performance or the new song, neither you nor I is a “loser;” in fact, it could be that we’re both good people, but we just disagree. You like stuff that turns my stomach, and you still can be a good person. And I guarantee I like stuff you think is lame and awful, and I’m still a good person.

But blanket attacks on those who disagree just reads like fear of judgment, like you think those of us who think anything you disagree with thinks you’re stupid, or gullible, or lack integrity, so you attack with those implications about us preemptively. People are way more complicated than that, and no one thinks you’re a creep for liking the videos.

You really think everyone whom this video turns off is jealous? You need forum members to start posted where they’ve landed on the charts to respect their opinions? Is that really how cynically you view humanity?

And you think you need to protect these guys from the meanies who don’t think the band did their best work here? They’re not five years old and you’re not their mama bear who needs to protect the vulnerable cubs.

Let me let you in on a revelation: the guys in Def Leppard have opinions too, and some of them are so different than yours, judging from your behavior in this thread, you’d probably burn them at the stake. Then whose honor would you need to defend?

I see no reason to keep nit picking "amp tone"
lol - the reason is: "that's what we do here"! I'd bet that's what Phil and Viv do - all the great players, constantly and obsessively critiquing their own tones, or asking others for their critiques - it's a reason they get to the top - relentless / never satisfied.

Yeah and all that moaning and complaining is maybe one of the reasons we don’t get any artist presets.
If I were one of them, I wouldn’t share any presets either.
thanks but no-thanks Phil - artist presets only work for the artist - pretty much established

The Steve Stevens Preset with the matching IR‘s do work pretty well for me.
If he gave me a di sample to match a given dry performance I could access, and the detailed info on his guitar + setup to go with the preset, then maybe I could get somewhere, but like so so many examples here, trading just presets to nail a sound u hear someone else make is elusive at best - but ya, doesn't mean someone else's preset won't happen to sound good to me somehow.

Last edited:
The funny thing is Phil is in Def Leppard, and we are typing onto a forum on internet!!!
I guess I am back to my original thought....but let me say it more bluntly.

Those who can't play on stage, never toured, never recorded in a studio, never made an album or many, and don't really call music their "profession" seem to be the biggest critics here. This is a business and lots of lines in the sand have to drawn.

Those that actually DO and CAN DO the previous (the real players), don't care about any of this non sense.

They sound as expected Def Leppard would, period.

I see no reason to keep nit picking "amp tone" in an already acceptable mix - esp one captured on a phone.
Although you are probably right, you may be missing the bigger picture.

Fans of most bands won’t be musicians, and most people who bounce around the grey area of musician arent even musicians. The critics of these bands won’t be musicians and rightfully so. I don’t need to be a plumber to know the guy I just hired to fix my toilet did a shit job when my toilet still isn’t flushing right. I had suggested motives of critics may be different due to peoples different life experiences and some peoples motives may be less than admirable. I still stand by that.

I have personally gigged plenty. Recorded plenty. Never toured. I feel the new album is short on hooks. Not bad, but just wanted more. That’s my opinion as a fan of the band for 30 years. Not my professional opinion. I can separate the two. No, I do not possess the ability to write, engineer or produce an album like Hysteria. I sure as shit know and appreciate what goes into it though (and it doesn’t happen in a bubble).

It's whatever works for you in the end. He likes his gained out sustainer super 3 dimarzio everything titanium steel pick tone. Leave him be, I think he (they) have earned it. Do i like it? no, would he like my tone? no.

This thread triggered me to listen to the latest album last night - normally I'm not very drawn to new music released by old bands and didn't expect to like this one given that I only still listen to the first 3 DL albums (probably because I got way too much Hysteria exposure back in the day to the point where I came to really dislike it and them). Have to say - I really liked it - not sure why exactly but I think it's because the sound is different from what I remember at the time I'd gotten really sick of hearing them so much in the 80s, but it does reflect some of the sounds I still like about the earliest records. Actually added it to my library for replay - a rareity for such bands where normally, I stick to the classic stuff - others like this I've discovered are Journey's Eclipse (have not delved into "Freedom" yet), and Europe's catalogue since 2006 which imo blows away the older stuff, which, though popular, many came to hate due to overplay.

This thread triggered me to listen to the latest album last night - normally I'm not very drawn to new music released by old bands and didn't expect to like this one given that I only still listen to the first 3 DL albums (probably because I got way too much Hysteria exposure back in the day to the point where I came to really dislike it and them). Have to say - I really liked it - not sure why exactly but I think it's because the sound is different from what I remember at the time I'd gotten really sick of hearing them so much in the 80s, but it does reflect some of the sounds I still like about the earliest records. Actually added it to my library for replay - a rareity for such bands where normally, I stick to the classic stuff - others like this I've discovered are Journey's Eclipse (have not delved into "Freedom" yet), and Europe's catalogue since 2006 which imo blows away the older stuff, which, though popular, many came to hate due to overplay.
If you liked the early lep stuff then the new stuff would definitely appeal to you more.

As far as the Journey song that came out the other day, it was really good! First hook they wrote in 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom