Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

Although you are probably right, you may be missing the bigger picture.

Fans of most bands won’t be musicians, and most people who bounce around the grey area of musician arent even musicians. The critics of these bands won’t be musicians and rightfully so. I don’t need to be a plumber to know the guy I just hired to fix my toilet did a shit job when my toilet still isn’t flushing right. I had suggested motives of critics may be different due to peoples different life experiences and some peoples motives may be less than admirable. I still stand by that.

I have personally gigged plenty. Recorded plenty. Never toured. I feel the new album is short on hooks. Not bad, but just wanted more. That’s my opinion as a fan of the band for 30 years. Not my professional opinion. I can separate the two. No, I do not possess the ability to write, engineer or produce an album like Hysteria. I sure as shit know and appreciate what goes into it though (and it doesn’t happen in a bubble).
However, this about a video or set that sounds fine...nothing is perfect in music. I surely know what and who says what when it comes to evaluation of someone's skill. IT would be very different if it was horrible - which is it not. You do not need "pro" ears to figure it out, unfortunately.

It does seem a little strange to critique anyones tone to this degree from a sound board recording from a tv show performance posted on YouTube. You know who else has not the greatest tone from their sound board captured recordings? Metallica.

Have you been at the show? It’s absolutely crushing.

While Phil is certainly not my favorite player and I can agree with the critique of his sloppy sounding “flurry of notes” technique, the flogging of his tone is a bit much.

Although you are probably right, you may be missing the bigger picture.

Fans of most bands won’t be musicians, and most people who bounce around the grey area of musician arent even musicians. The critics of these bands won’t be musicians and rightfully so. I don’t need to be a plumber to know the guy I just hired to fix my toilet did a shit job when my toilet still isn’t flushing right. I had suggested motives of critics may be different due to peoples different life experiences and some peoples motives may be less than admirable. I still stand by that.

I have personally gigged plenty. Recorded plenty. Never toured. I feel the new album is short on hooks. Not bad, but just wanted more. That’s my opinion as a fan of the band for 30 years. Not my professional opinion. I can separate the two. No, I do not possess the ability to write, engineer or produce an album like Hysteria. I sure as shit know and appreciate what goes into it though (and it doesn’t happen in a bubble).
I understand your Point, but we are talking about "TONE" here and to be able to speak about that you must at least play an instrument to be able to critic it, so that being said I would think that everyone here must at least own a piece of Fractal gear and plays an instrument. I've played many gigs and still do, Recorded as well, but never really toured as I lived in Buenos Aires most of my latter Band years and did the Club thing there for years. Your "Plumber" scenario is fine if you are saying "I liked this Album better than this other Album", but talking about Guitar Tone is being a little too picky, unless you were actually there (in the Live performance that is), you can't really discuss Tone too much, even if you know what you are talking about. That is really my point! As far as Artist Presets, I've downloaded a few, and to be honest, the only ones that actually sound like the videos when you download them are the ones the Leon Todd shares!!!

For sure, but not from a Youtube Clip!!
Agree 100%! YouTube compression is rough even on studio tracks let alone a board mix that was most likely tuned to sound decent in the room they performed in. I cringe listening to the board mix on the videos my band did from clubs in the good old days, but even with the horrible sound it can be fun to revisit now and then for nostalgia.

Nothing like watching nightclub/bedroom players call a legendary touring band "sad" because they arent jumping around like high schoolers at a talent show the 10 millionth time theyve played a song live, you know, because they have toured 150 days a year for the last 40 years. 🤦‍♂️ Only thing better is reading them dissect some live guitar tone ddirect from the board and compare it to some other band or a tour from 25 years ago, etc. Ffs just enjoy the song, everything isnt a contest to see who plays the best or has the best sound.

Its totally fine to not like a band, a tone, whatever. But to act like there is a wrong and a right, on a completely subjective topic is just assinine. 99.9% of people would watch that video and hear music, at the end of the day isnt that what were doing here? Or are we trying to win the grammy for best gnarly guitar tone?

Ok, Dad. ;)

It does seem a little strange to critique anyones tone to this degree from a sound board recording from a tv show performance posted on YouTube. You know who else has not the greatest tone from their sound board captured recordings? Metallica.

Have you been at the show? It’s absolutely crushing.

While Phil is certainly not my favorite player and I can agree with the critique of his sloppy sounding “flurry of notes” technique, the flogging of his tone is a bit much.
His tone is awesome

I guess I am back to my original thought....but let me say it more bluntly.

Those who can't play on stage, never toured, never recorded in a studio, never made an album or many, and don't really call music their "profession" seem to be the biggest critics here. This is a business and lots of lines in the sand have to drawn.

Those that actually DO and CAN DO the previous (the real players), don't care about any of this non sense.

They sound as expected Def Leppard would, period.

I see no reason to keep nit picking "amp tone" in an already acceptable mix - esp one captured on a phone.

We also uhmmmm..... buy the music.... or used to ;).... and support these artists. They
don't exist at these levels without .... uhmmmm.... people chucking $$ and views at them.

}Besides, what is so tragic about making a subjective comment about liking or not liking
something. It is literally one of the most basic human acts that we all take part in countless
times per day. It is certainly NOT a sin to express a POV.

If someone makes toast and it is toasted a little too long can I say something, or should
I just shut the fuck up because I am not a professional baker. :)

Gosh, the way some of you are brow-beating people as somehow being inferior humans
because of a simple comment about someone else's tone or playing is worse than the
act of daring to not like something.

Excuse me while I go burn my preferences out behind the house lest they ever cause
someone to think me expressing them is the greatest tragedy to befall Internet and
humanity since the last exaggerated slight someone felt by reading a comment on
the Internet. :)

We also uhmmmm..... buy the music.... or used to ;).... and support these artists. They
don't exist at these levels without .... uhmmmm.... people chucking $$ and views at them.

}Besides, what is so tragic about making a subjective comment about liking or not liking
something. It is literally one of the most basic human acts that we all take part in countless
times per day. It is certainly NOT a sin to express a POV.

If someone makes toast and it is toasted a little too long can I say something, or should
I just shut the fuck up because I am not a professional baker. :)

Gosh, the way some of you are brow-beating people as somehow being inferior humans
because of a simple comment about someone else's tone or playing is worse than the
act of daring to not like something.

Excuse me while I go burn my preferences out behind the house lest they ever cause
someone to think me expressing them is the greatest tragedy to befall Internet and
humanity since the last exaggerated slight someone felt by reading a comment on
the Internet. :)
Actually I think it is beyond toast to be honest. I mean, let's be real then. DL, as I said, was never some extraordinary band. Not liking it is one thing - buggin and saying it is horrible is like - ok...yeah...too much time on your hands, mate...

Actually I think it is beyond toast to be honest. I mean, let's be real then. DL, as I said, was never some extraordinary band. Not liking it is one thing - buggin and saying it is horrible is like - ok...yeah...too much time on your hands, mate...
What makes a band an extraordinary band?
They've certainly sold enough.
They've survived death, dismemberment
They've been playing for many decades now.
What makes them non extraordinary? Their experience has been far from ordinary I think.

Even musically, I'd argue some of the writing is extraordinary given some of the non typical modulation in a few songs. You don't hear that from a lot of rock bands. Joe's voice is one of the best of the era.

What makes a band an extraordinary band?
They've certainly sold enough.
They've survived death, dismemberment
They've been playing for many decades now.
What makes them non extraordinary? Their experience has been far from ordinary I think.

Even musically, I'd argue some of the writing is extraordinary given some of the non typical modulation in a few songs. You don't hear that from a lot of rock bands. Joe's voice is one of the best of the era.
Maybe I should have said musically extraordinary. "popular and sales" yup. Catchy songs - for sure. I think it is again an old argument - you could put Yngwie in this band and they would more "musically extraordinary" but not the same chemistry and things would fall apart. It is all relative - they came up in a time when this worked...like the Stones did in their time or U2 or the Police, etc.

Their music is not about feats of individual talents or "guitar driven talents" - it is about basic straight ahead 80s rock. Much difference then across the pond with Van Halen I.

The difference is, they worked great as a unit and that is what made them popular - that and in 1977ish when they started it was a different world getting pushed forward...same reason why their catalogue post 80s is not so popular because the bottom fell out and that caused part of the "team" they relied on the fall apart. Maybe the writing is difference - idk...That team was the change in how records were made.

I also was more focused on folks comments on how they didn't like what they heard - and it was not the same as they remember - and again - that has to do with some of the forcing going on in the Kimmel gig. At least from my side, I really don't care and if I was going to give an opinion - I still don't care. I think they sounded fine. They sounded in the ballpark - I could argue there was no need to try to play above what you could handle - but really only the nerds are going to notice...The comment was more to as a reaction to people saying "how much gain" he used. Well yeah (possibly) made him feel he could play some of the rushed lines....all I can say is sounded fine...

My favorite album by them is On Through The Night. They had some good bits after too but not like that.
I still have one of Steve's volume pedals here at the studio.

Nah...I never met him. He was hanging in my town w a local he met in rehab. Left a bunch of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom