Def Leppard Makes the Switch to the Axe-Fx III

That's great!

Wonder if they're using the JMPs in there. Interested to know what cabs they're using and the bass preset(s) as well. Are the details confidential?

This is so great, excellent promo. Congratulations to Cliff and ALL at Fractal Audio!!

I saw the show with Journey in Tampa, REALLY GREAT!!!
Matt, did you help them get all the tones matched up?
I’d really love to see the presets, with the IR’s...they really translate well to FOH.

Sounds like Vivian has a complex setup, both he and Phil sounded killer.

Isn’t Neal Schon using the Axe III as well??

You should see how cool the presets are too. It would have taken multiple units before the III. Vivian actually outputs a different effect/dry blend in-ears mix for himself vs. bandmates, plus cabs on stage, plus FOH. All with seamless switching between clean, crunch, and lead tones.
I'd love to see viv's patches. is he using Engl sims?

I need to see them live. DL is one group I have been trying to catch for 25 years, but every time they are within a doable distance for me, life (birth of a child, etc.), gets in the way.

Congrats. Very cool!!! Regarding presets and what not... it would be interesting to hear about the approach used in designing the presets. Such as grid layout, scenes, channels, etc... if everything is being done with one preset or multiple. I imagine it would be easier to discuss that type of information vs exact details of how each block is configured. Really looking forward to @ccroyalsenders upcoming video series!

One of my favorite bands growing up - always thought they were one of the best standouts in that bridge between 80's heavy metal and 80's "hair bands". Only started playing the guitar not even 10 years ago, finally got the axeii, then the iii - my favorite bands from my youth are are using Fractal and I'm learning to play their songs on the same gear - surreal times! Staggering concept of the what's packed into this amazing box.

Last edited:
IIRC the Leppard guys were both using JMP1's for a long time. The models of those are super accurate in the Axe.

One is the best live tones I've ever heard was watching him play with Last in Line at a festival we shared the bill with. LP - ENGL head and cab - SM57. Phenomenonal.

yup,. the engl artist is an amazing amp.

I saw them in Columbus a few weeks ago. Viv has a guy who's job is to step on the MJM controller to switch presets. I thought that was funny.

Makes total sense for any touring pro to use a modelling setup. Let weight to carry, consistent tone night after night, easier setup and teardown. Just happens to be the the Axe III is the best sounding of the bunch IMHO. No regrets at all on getting one! Really looking forward to using mine live.

Back
Top Bottom