Def leppard cleans

kevrock

Experienced
I'm coving a few hysteria songs
I was just wondering if you could put me on the right path to get that clean hysteria sound. There gain sound I think I can get but any suggestions there would help. Thanks

If I recall correctly, they used the Scholz Rockman for both the clean and dirty tones on Hysteria. No Rockman model in the Axe-Fx II as of yet. Maybe try the tube preamp model with EQ (graphic or parametric), compressor, and chorus. If I were to try and dial in that tone, that's where I'd start.

LightningBoy is the man you want to speak to. I believe that it may be no amp and no cab, but lots of modulation and reverb.

You're welcome. If you PM him I'm sure he'll help you. He's always playing Hysteria at trade shows and stuff. Always lol.

So which songs are you gonna cover? I tried to convince my cover band to do the whole album at a couple of shows this year. ..they didn't go for it, apparently their v-j's are a lil sandy...lol

I just tried a JC-120 with a dimension Chorus and it sounded pretty good. As a matter of fact I had the guitar pro file so I learned it, its pretty easy, I'm talking about Hysteria.

So which songs are you gonna cover? I tried to convince my cover band to do the whole album at a couple of shows this year. ..they didn't go for it, apparently their v-j's are a lil sandy...lol

Next they'll be stopping you from bringing scented candles to rehearsal. The whole album indeed. Do Def Leppard even do the whole album anymore? Lol

LightningBoy is the man you want to speak to. I believe that it may be no amp and no cab, but lots of modulation and reverb.

wow ! that sounds really close without having a Rockman in the Axe. now where's that guy and where are the presets for that clean tone :) ?

I would add reverb only after you've gotten the preset(s) as THICK as possible. I rarely use it on cover tones I do...unless its very present in the mix. Good luck with it!

I just tone matched a "RockMeOn" (x100). I will post the presets to Axe-Change.
It seems to me that Def Leppard were only using the device as one layer of a multi-layered clean, my guess is with real amps as well.
My Tone Match sounds like the Rockman, but it is a far cry from full-on Def Lep clean - The real Rockman is thin and noisy.

Last edited:
Get a basic gainy chain going..then add compressors at 1st position and after cab....then add chorus after each of them.

Also, put Drive block of BE before other Drive block you use - this heats up & thickens the dirty drive.

add Delay at end of chain...but very low rate, like 25 - 60, and low mix rate...this will thicken it all up a tad more.

Click & drag in AE to see where each of these all fit best in the chain. Let us know how this goes, and post a clip if ya can.

I just tone matched a clean Rockman. I will post the presets to Axe-Change.
It quickly became apparent to me that Def Leppard were only using the Rockman as one layer of a multi-layered clean.

My Tone Match sounds exactly like the Rockman, but it is a far cry from full-on Def Lep clean.

Right Matt, I guess they layered all gtr tracks A LOT more than one would imagine.
And Matt, I found your super-chorusy presets for standard/ultra to be the finest ever...forget the names, but had the Eggie amps...they were on Axe EXCHANGE back then. This is what I use for clean intro to Hysteria, w/ my Ultra.

I just tone matched a clean Rockman. I will post the presets to Axe-Change.

It quickly became apparent to me that Def Leppard were only using the Rockman as one layer of a multi-layered clean.

My Tone Match sounds exactly like the Rockman, but it is a far cry from full-on Def Lep clean - The real Rockman is thin and noisy.

M@ was that the Rockman I sent you?

IIRC, the Rockman units for DL had a single mod done, something in the input stage to reduce noise and increase bandwidth / headroom. Maybe a single op-amp replacement?

Back
Top Bottom