Def Leopard High n dry tone

Anyone got a preset for this? I am mostly a high gain guy, but I have always loved the tone on this record. There seems to be a twang to it that I have no idea where it comes from. I guess I would put it in AC/DC territory, but it definately has something a little more (or less, lol). AC/DC with a twang? A long time ago, and of course it could be bullcrud, someone posted a pic of the amp they supposedly used for this record and some sound clips and it sounded exactly like the tone on the record. The owner said he is keeping the amp (tons of goop on the circuit so no idea what mods were done), but hardly ever used it as EVERYthing he played on it sounded like def leppard.

Here is one song from the record. I am hoping to mimic the rythem guitar tone.

another (classic) let it go

Pretty sure I hear a chorus in there, and I know Mutt Lange put in tons of extra guitar parts for just a measure or two.

one of the influential albums when I started playing guitar.
I heard that on the song "Bringin' on the heartache" the rhythm guitars were slightly out of tune to create the chorusing effect.

Btw - this is one of my all-time favorite albums. I used to know the whole.thing, well, except never bothered to learn the solos, so I was basically Pete Willis (yeah, he took some solos too.)
Awesome same here, although I learned most of the leads as well. However, I was pretty young and my "feel" had not developed so it was pretty lifeless. Knowing the age of those guys when this album was recorded, they both were simply fantastic guitar players with tons of feel. IMHO, feel is 99% of young guitar players are missing in their playing. Maybe Mutt just beat them until he got the tone/feel he wanted, lol.

Check Axe-Exchange - about 3-4 years ago someone did a tone match of Saturday Night, Hugh N Dry which NAILS IT. If you can't locate it, email me at tjbraverman@optonline.net and I'll try to find it.

Hey I think I found it. First found a youtube clip,

I guessed correctly on which one was original however, his tone is VERY close. youtube video listed his forum name here and then I found a thread where he posted a link to axechange. Looking at the title of the patch, Im not sure why my searches missed it. Credit goes to to forum member groovenut whom Im sure put a ton of work into this. Here is the link in axe-change .

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=420

I have been using the fractool so I will download and try in the next couple of days. Its a tone match patch, so I know that will complicate things. I think I have to ask groovenut if he is willing to share the tonematch IR? Im still kind of new at how the AX8 works in regards to tonematch stuff. I know it does not have it, but I belive there is a workaround.

Here is a 'Preset/Cab bundle based on my 'Foolin' Axe-Fx ll preset, then converted to 'AX8' format. It uses the same 'Foolin' 'Tone Match' IR. Screenshots included to show the intended block bypass states for each scene.

Scene 1.....Main Rhythm.
Scene 2.....Main Rhythm with a stronger Chorus (X)
Scene 3.....Solo (Bright)
Scene 4.....Solo (Darker with more Mids)

www.custompresets.com

Last edited:
Here is a 'Preset/Cab bundle based on my 'Foolin' Axe-Fx ll preset, then converted to 'AX8' format. It uses the same 'Foolin' 'Tone Match' IR. Screenshots included to show the intended block bypass states for each scene.

Scene 1.....Main Rhythm.
View attachment 32740 View attachment 32741 View attachment 32742 View attachment 32743

I used the fractool for groovenut translation there was a bug on the delay on the first scene. Fixed that and I see where he is going with it. Not having that tone match is not helping, lol. I tried to import yours but my ax8 says that its putting it in temporary memory to audition and if I save I will need to save cabs. At that point its a blank screen with no sound. I press save, it brings up the cab screen and when I hit save it says unable to open destination block. I am pointing it a blank spot. Tried several different ones to make sure. And tips? Would you be willing to convert that tonematch IR from groovenuts preset to a cab for me? As many have said here before, your the best and thanks. BTW, I am in Las vegas and my now wife lived in victorville for 4 years. Pretty much every other weekend I was there and in hesperia. When heading down the hill, when we passed hesperia I would always sing def leppard hysteria, drove her crazy I know the I15 corridor now very well, lol.

I used the fractool for groovenut translation there was a bug on the delay on the first scene. Fixed that and I see where he is going with it. Not having that tone match is not helping, lol. I tried to import yours but my ax8 says that its putting it in temporary memory to audition and if I save I will need to save cabs. At that point its a blank screen with no sound. I press save, it brings up the cab screen and when I hit save it says unable to open destination block. I am pointing it a blank spot. Tried several different ones to make sure. And tips? Would you be willing to convert that tonematch IR from groovenuts preset to a cab for me? As many have said here before, your the best and thanks. BTW, I am in Las vegas and my now wife lived in victorville for 4 years. Pretty much every other weekend I was there and in hesperia. When heading down the hill, when we passed hesperia I would always sing def leppard hysteria, drove her crazy I know the I15 corridor now very well, lol.
Man this preset and TM are very "aged". I dont know how well they will translate to the new FW but hey, lets see!

Here's the TM as a cab IR converted for AX8. Just do away with the TM block in the preset, load another Cab block, and then load up the IR.

Should be good to go :)

Attachments

• LPD Def Lep High N Dry TM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 125

Awesome, thank you! I will try it with the new IR tomorrow am. This morning I did some tweaks to the patch without the IR and think I got it a little closer. (added some compression). I can't wait to hear it with the new IR.

I noted as I tweaked that the tone was getting closer but was still missing the twang. playing a jackson sl2h. Cue lightbulb, grab 1978 explorer that looked EXACTLY like this one before I had it painted. http://users.adam.com.au/sanddll/E2 Front.jpg loaded with semour duncan tb4 in bridge. Hello twang! I had done some recording with this guitar a few years back and remember thinking "this thing sure is twangy". So for me, in this case, choice of guitar is definately a significant factor. Im thinking the players here that typically use lower gain settings are laughing at me----"duh!" well I mostly use high gain so imho the guitar choice is much less noticeable in high gain stuff.

Man this preset and TM are very "aged". I dont know how well they will translate to the new FW but hey, lets see!

Here's the TM as a cab IR converted for AX8. Just do away with the TM block in the preset, load another Cab block, and then load up the IR.

Should be good to go :)
Sorry, the AX8 only has one Cab block. That 'Tone Match' is a 'Corrective EQ' to be added to the first cab block IR.

Scene 1.....Main Rhythm.

OK........Here is my 'non-bundled' AX8 preset and the IR. Check the screenshots to see the intended block bypass states for each scene.

http://www.custompresets.com/

Last edited:
Sorry, the AX8 only has one Cab block. That 'Tone Match' is a 'Corrective EQ' to be added to the first cab block IR.
Ah I see. I was not aware of that limitation.

Let me see if I can come up with a work around.

The the AX8 have a tonematch block?

Will it read the same TM info that comes in an AxeFxII preset?

Ah I see. I was not aware of that limitation.

Let me see if I can come up with a work around.

The the AX8 have a tonematch block?

Will it read the same TM info that comes in an AxeFxII preset?
No and No......Axe-Fx ll owner here, just trying to help out my 'Fractal' brothers..;)

I have a preset that can blend the two into a new IR........:cool:

Vey cool guys I gotta check out these pre sets! I have tried many times in the past to get this tones with out success. Great album!!

OK........Here is my 'non-bundled' AX8 preset and the IR. Check the screenshots to see the intended block bypass states for each scene.
Moke, that preset reads as axe fx not ax8. Cab imports fine. I tried using the fractool on it but it comes out really jacked up (three lines of blocks from left to right, no cab blocks ect) . No worries.

I been tweaking groovenuts and even without the tone match, I think Ive go something very close. I recorded 4 guitars tracks two 75% left and two 75% right and It sound to me damn close. The guitar truly matters in this case, for giggles I tried 7 other guitars and none had the twangyness I referred to early. I will upload preset and a recording this evening or tomorrow. Mutt lange was a genius, all by itself the tone is really thin, but multitracked and in a mix, wow. However, the tone is definately NOT what the are using for leads, lol, I tried a couple and holy cow is it thin.

Ok here it is. Here are links to sound by itself and in a mix. 4 guitar tracks, 2 panned 75% right and 2 panned 75% left. Let me know what you think of the preset. Still needs a little tweaking around 10k I think. Guitar is downtuned 1 whole step. Its my motley crue guitar and with a kahler I didn't feel like retuning to standard as it is a long procedure.

In a mix

By its self (still 4 tracks)

Here is preset (uses factory AX8 cab) and bundle if you need that

Attachments

• High N Dry tone.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 168
  • High N Dry tone presetcab bundle.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 153
@bigbadorange sounds killer!! Will try it this weekend!!!!

Until then give me a clue as to how you got this tone!
In the past I just used a JCM800 with not very much gain but cranked up -but your sounds much better than anything I've gotten ,..... really good!
**I have not heard or tried any others in this thread so I'm sorry to not have commented on them too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom