Def Leopard High n dry tone

@bigbadorange sounds killer!! Will try it this weekend!!!!

Until then give me a clue as to how you got this tone!
In the past I just used a JCM800 with not very much gain but cranked up -but your sounds much better than anything I've gotten ,..... really good!
**I have not heard or tried any others in this thread so I'm sorry to not have commented on them too.
Thanks! Off the top of my head, I don't remember, been tweaking (ha ha in the good way) tones the last few days so specifics are jumbled in my head. One perhaps unconventional thing I did (depending on how one looks at it) was that the studio engineer in me placed the compression at the end of the signal chain. Would make zero sense with physical guitar rig hardware, but if I was engineering a mix, I would compress the guitars after they were recorded so putting the compression at the end of the chain mimics that setup. LPD's base tone is excellent. I put a couple def leopard tunes on a loop (parts that isolated guitars as much as possible) and panned hard left, and panned the AX8 Hard right and tweaked to get it closer. I will do it a couple of more times and I think I can get it a little closer. But I have to face reality as well. I am trying to get the tone of IMHO the best engineer/producer combo in the world. Mike shipley (RIP) and Mutt lange

Here is some "too much internet info sharing" - I lost my virginity to Lady Strange and No No No. What could be more appropriate for an 18 year old?

Here is some "too much internet info sharing" - I lost my virginity to Lady Strange and No No No. What could be more appropriate for an 18 year old?
Awesome. Not my first but very early on......did some loving to lady stranger. Some how I remembered that as soon as I saw your post..lol.

OK........Here is my 'non-bundled' AX8 preset and the IR. Check the screenshots to see the intended block bypass states for each scene.
hi moke!! sorry to ask you this but how you load a bundled preset to the ax8? you just load the preset or have to do something else?
and in your non-bundle preset wich one is the IR? fa..fa..fa..fooling or moke's vintage leopard?
thanks for all your help:)

Last edited:
hi moke!! sorry to ask you this but how you load a bundled preset to the ax8? you just load the preset or have to do something else?
and in your non-bundle preset wich one is the IR? fa..fa..fa..fooling or moke's vintage leopard?
thanks for all your help:)
These were converted with an early version of 'FracTool' and did not convert very well. FYI, 'fa..fa..fa..foolin' is the IR and 'Moke's Vintage Leoppard' is the preset.

The Guitar Tone on High n Dry has been my "Holy Grail" of guitar tones for me,.. ... there's something about the Clarity of each note, the little bit of what I call that "Marshall Swank" over the top of it, yet it has good drive as well.... ever SO elusive! :( Let it go and Lady Strange and pretty much the rest of the album guitar tone wise is to die for that's for sure!

Mutt Lange sure knows how to record great guitar tone. I agree, HND has wicked guitar on it. I loved putting that record in and playing along - that was back in 1983!

Back
Top Bottom