Deep Tweaks for the Axe-Fx III

Bman

Power User
I'm at a point where I've created a good tone, certainly suitable to anyone who hasn't been seeking it for most of his life. I've been searching the Axe III forum for the advanced tweaks but finding them has been like looking for a needle in haystack.

With the Ax8 I was able to use Cliff's tech tips and sculpt a tone that I felt was personal. I found the tweaks to be in the Character tip, Negative Feedback tweak and the PEQ mid boost before the amp tip. Also something seemed different about the FET boost that felt like a more clean boost in the AX8. It feels different in the Axe III.

From what I understand the Character parameter is not in the Ax3 but can be addressed with the input EQ, which also takes care of the PEQ mid boost.

Has there been a thread of advanced tweaks and accurate descriptions of what they do or how people have used them? I'll keep searching and book marking, taking notes. But since there hasn't been a tech note post in 2020, I'm wondering if they apply to Ax3 like they did in the other Fractal platforms. I know some of them obviously apply across the board and are helpful insights into ALL amplification and tone.

While I certainly understand the desire for a centralized resource (mebbe Hot Tips for your AF3), I would offer that the Wiki has a massive amount of assembled knowledge for free. If money is no issue, tale Cooper Carter's online class (I believe $120). I haven't taken it yet, but plan to shortly. The reviews of the class have been very positive.

While I certainly understand the desire for a centralized resource (mebbe Hot Tips for your AF3), I would offer that the Wiki has a massive amount of assembled knowledge for free. If money is no issue, tale Cooper Carter's online class (I believe $120). I haven't taken it yet, but plan to shortly. The reviews of the class have been very positive.

Great point. I'm guilty of reading the wiki and not referring back to it for things like this. I'll definitely revisit it. It's such an obvious answer and I know Yek and team put a lot into it.

I think my gameplan will be to review the items I have questions about, then I can ask more specific questions to the things I don't understand.

keep in mind that the Axe3 has had updates to improve the tone, probably stemming from all the suggestions of the previous products advanced parameters.

many are finding they don't need to adjust any advanced parameters these days, which may be why there isn't much discussion about it.

i'd say let us know what you want, and someone can get the right parameter to you. personally i don't touch a thing.

I can't recommend enough the speaker impedance curve settings in the amp block. Character was a good one on previous devices and input EQ curve does achieve similar results but speaker impedance curve sculpting is like WOW.

Anymore, seems like other than a splash of gain enhancer in the amp block, and a dash of high quality preamp in the cab block, it's all basic amp controls for me.

I can't recommend enough the speaker impedance curve settings in the amp block. Character was a good one on previous devices and input EQ curve does achieve similar results but speaker impedance curve sculpting is like WOW.

I think this is the 2nd time I've heard or really read this. Wouldn't toying with XFMR MATCH param. equate to the same thing? (I've been reading the wiki ;)). Regardless, I'm interested in what your tweak is.

I think this is the 2nd time I've heard or really read this. Wouldn't toying with XFMR MATCH param. equate to the same thing? (I've been reading the wiki ;)). Regardless, I'm interested in what your tweak is.
Not at all, the impedance curve is a whole curve, with multiple points of control. It's not an EQ, but it kind of acts like one. The Mesa EQ of parametrics, but not really, but kinda.

I've been enjoying these for a few years. The Clean to Mean is basically my goal but that was written before the Ax3 came out. And I can get it to sort of function like it did on the Ax8, I'm still finding other things that get me to 'Clean to Mean'.

Using the input boost block rather than a drive block is getting me closer. Using a neutral boost I'm able to clean up and get a sparkly clean on my single coil neck pick up. Getting good.

Waiting on Mr. Morris' tip while I dive into the wiki searching for the speaker imp. curve. Just playing around, not knowing what I'm doing hasn't resulted in any 'aha' moments.

Whoookayyy!!!! Flattening the Res Q and sliding the LF Res Freq around EQ's it in a way that using the graphic EQ OR PEQ doesn't. From tight to round is the way I can describe it. And I don't know which I prefer other than to say......'aha!'.

Back
Top Bottom