Wish Dedicated Stutter/Glitch block

there's one of these in the presets i just put up. are you using an FC-6 or FC-12? if not, i can show you how to set it up

edit: oh, forgot to say, it's in the "panoply of glitch "preset

Awesome! No fc-6/12. If you put it up for axeIII - I only have an ax8 now but I’ll be upgrading to an FM3 as soon as possible (I jumped in this thread because I know ax3 presets transfer to FM3 and no point in wishing for ax8 stuff 👍).

ah ok. well i can explain how to do it, if you know how to set up a momentary switch as an external controller on your AX8 (or you can wait until you get your FM3 and i could send you a preset)

ok, so it's not too tricky. put a volume block in your layout after the cab and attach the switch so that switch up = volume at 10 and switch down = volume at 0. that's your dry kill bit. then put a delay block in a sidechain with mix = 100% and attach the switch to delay "hold", so when the switch goes down, hold goes on. then attach the switch to the delay level, so when the switch is on, level is at 0 and when the switch is off, level is -80. this will totally kill the delay when you lift your foot up. then attach lfo1 to delay time and make the range something like 90 to 250ms. then go to the controllers page and attach the switch to lfo run, so when the switch is on, run is off and vice versa. set the lfo to random.
so the idea is the random lfo changes the delay time when the switch is up and then stops when you hit the switch, so every time you hit the pedal, you get a different rate of stutter.
let me know how you get on

Yo, glitch being a sampler on loop where you move the start point around to grab different grains...

Has anybody tried delay block running minimum feedback but set on stack, and jacking with the time knob up around the 1ms, 5ms, 10ms range? Feedback off would give you the 1 repeat at that glitch speed but stack would keep grabbing what comes in and layering them, and would also grab and stack the motion effect of the time knob movement...put that muffin on a momentary switch with an LFO on the time knob...:openmouth:

It's too easy, digital mono set on stack, feedback 0%, time whatever size glitch you want, 75 to 100ms sounds cool...

With an empty buffer and it set on stack, hit the strings and it's glitched, roll the time knob longer and it stretches out...

Yo, glitch being a sampler on loop where you move the start point around to grab different grains...

Has anybody tried delay block running minimum feedback but set on stack, and jacking with the time knob up around the 1ms, 5ms, 10ms range? Feedback off would give you the 1 repeat at that glitch speed but stack would keep grabbing what comes in and layering them, and would also grab and stack the motion effect of the time knob movement...put that muffin on a momentary switch with an LFO on the time knob...:openmouth:

That sounds nuuuts. I’d love to grab a preset.

So! While I wait for an FM3 I grabbed an axeIII and fc6 bundle.

The glitch presets are pretty great! I’m still digging in how to change a few things. I’d like to not set to random so it’s just momentary one length. Also would be cool to have it chop downward in pitch, like a glitchy dive bomb.

But yes, thanks for these. Going to shoot you some well deserved scratch. I could never have figured these out for myself, at least not until I study the blocks more. All the stacking functionality still confuses me too but I can imagine there is a ton of potential for weirdness

I've struggled to get a good stutter effect with the AxeFX. The attacks on the AxeFX sequencer and LFO are just too slow to achieve a good trance gate slicing effect, but it helps if you set the damping on the modifier to 0ms. The other problem is the AxeFX doesn't support beat syncing to midi SPP (or at least it didn't last time I checked), which is important for an effect like this.

For me, it works best to use the sequencer or an LFO to control the Volume parameter of a Volume/Pan block, instead of using a Tremolo block. That way you can trigger the sequencer or LFO to start on the beat with the same pedal you use to turn the effect on. Otherwise, the pattern won't play in sync with the beat. The LFO Type parameter doubles as a run trigger, so attach your pedal to that in you're using an LFO. If you're using the Sequencer attach your pedal to the Run parameter.

Last edited:
Time division would need to be on a knob with a modifier if you wanted it to ratchet down through tempo divisions, otherwise it's either freerunning or you get to convert modifier % to milliseconds by ear for a given LFO depth. To get pitch shift on the tails you have to use tape delay, digital and analog delay types can't or don't or won't pitch shift the repeats in AFX3 for whatever reason. For glitch work it's actually nice for the pitch to stay the same, but there needs to be at least the capability to choose.

Also the delay block needs to have the ability to clear its buffer on bypass, if you're using a long delay time with hold or stack, you can't reset the buffer without turning everything down, letting it run out, then turning everything back up. That needs to be on a switch or as a bypass characteristic

The looper is already in there, if you move the start point close enough to the loop point, it's glitch city, down into granular synthesis. Shrink that beeotch into its own block with modifiable knobs for start and loop point, where its bypass state is always monitoring the input and engage grabs and loops the selected region of whatever was in that window, just like the hold switch on the reverbs or delays, it's already in there. Don't need but 300ms of buffer total for glitch, bread and butter is like 60ms to 150ms, but definitely needs to be time division capable.

Yes cool idea to get a Glitch or Stutter block. Like the Hexe Revolver or Count to Five for example. I have both of these. Or the Chase Bliss stuff.

Instead of cloning pedals or making variations of what we already have I would like to see more unique Fractal experimental stuff when it comes to effects. Something new and original. But I highly doubt that this is the direction Fractal will be going in. It never has been the focus of Fractal.

Last edited:
Yes cool idea to get a Glitch or Stutter block. Like the Hexe Revolver or Count to Five for example. I have both of these. Or the Chase Bliss stuff.

Instead of cloning pedals or making variations of what we already have I would like to see more unique Fractal experimental stuff when it comes to effects. Something new and original. But I highly doubt that this is the direction Fractal will be going in. It never has been the focus of Fractal.

If they make modifications to the looper block for micro sampling and stretching etc, once you add the modifiers list you can definitely get outside the box. It would be pretty sweet. A glitch pedal is the only pedal I would entertain buying if we dont get a better way to do it.

If they make modifications to the looper block for micro sampling and stretching etc, once you add the modifiers list you can definitely get outside the box. It would be pretty sweet. A glitch pedal is the only pedal I would entertain buying if we dont get a better way to do it.

In my opinion the Axe fx as it is now can never replicate those glitch pedals. Maybe with a lot of tweaking it can replicate one specific sound of a certain knob setting of the pedal. But the fun of those pedals is how they interact with the user and the randomness that is resulting. Also you can spontaneously change the way the pedal behaves in a flip of a second. That would take a lot of pre planning and tweaking in the Axe fx and that takes out all spontaneity and fun.

If there was a dedicated glitch or slice block or whatever above arguments would be less.

Last edited:
I feel like if 1 expression pedal can simultaneously control 8 modifiers, the iii can glitch with the best of them.

I feel like if 1 expression pedal can simultaneously control 8 modifiers, the iii can glitch with the best of them.

I like to use the Axe for all kind of weird effect things but still for me it's not the same and not as plug and play or fun for glitch and loopy stuff as a dedicated glitch or loop pedal like the ones I mentioned for example.

This pedal also has my attention. Although it sounds a bit too neat and polished for my taste. I am waiting for more videos.

If you put things like time and grain size etc as performance screen functions, it would functionally be similar to having a 5-knob pedal (assuming the iii is within reach)

If you put things like time and grain size etc as performance screen functions, it would functionally be similar to having a 5-knob pedal (assuming the iii is within reach)

Or grab a midi controller with lots of knobs and/or one that runs Pure Data, and good times abound.

Back
Top Bottom