Wish Dedicated Stutter/Glitch block

We're in the age of glitch
stutter stuff is awesome and an incredible instrument effect

I built a stutter factory algo for the H9000 that uses 2 delay lines that loop when triggered - so the stutter is a recording (not tremolo/pan based)
Set stutter duration for left & right (Golden Ratio is killer) then..
  • Manual trigger Stutter (switch on/off)
  • Auto Stutter (set cycle frequency & hold duration)
  • Dynamic based Stutter (trigger above threshold - but am adding below threshold too)

hope they consider more glitch stuff for this Platform

Last edited:
So I've looked at the documentation and stutter appears fully achievable already and can be enhanced with a few modifiers

Would anyone be able to test the following?
  • Setup a 400ms Digital Mono Delay
  • Then apply a Switch modifier to the following parameters - use the same switch for all functions
  • Switch Off
    • Repeat Hold Off
    • Delay block Mix Level = 0%
  • Switch On
    • Repeat Hold On
    • Delay block Mix Level = 100%
Doing the above will mute your direct signal while previous audio stutters
Using digital stereo, looks like you can easily do golden ratio - set Ration to "1.61803398875"
Problem with stereo is that it goes from narrow to super wide so try different pan settings

Then you could do fun stuff with other modifiers..
  • Square LFO to auto activate on/off like the switch
  • Envelope to on/off when above threshold
  • Sequence to do pattern stutters
It might also using possible to use the switch ON/OFF to set different delay times
With digital delay mode it might result in more glitch (maybe cool?) cos I don't think it would stretch the audio but with the tape mode it would stretch the audio giving pitch based stutters

There's bound to be something I've missed since I can't test myself but interested if someone could test this

Last edited:
yeah, done all this bro

check out the presets i made available. there's some glitch stutter stuff in there. one nice trick is to attach a random modifier to the delay time, but only have it running while it's not stuttering, as it were. so every time you engage, the delay time is different. loads of cool stuff you can do.

yeah, done all this bro

check out the presets i made available. there's some glitch stutter stuff in there. one nice trick is to attach a random modifier to the delay time, but only have it running while it's not stuttering, as it were. so every time you engage, the delay time is different. loads of cool stuff you can do.

awesome - i don't have an Axe FX yet so been exploring to see if what I want to achieve can be done before acquiring...saw this feature request and lack of module and assumed not possible but seems this is well covered

@simeon is there anyway to feedback signal from a block back into a previous block, so from right to left without using in/out physical cables?
also, anyway to achieve granular fx? i didn't see any obvious way to do e.g. granular delay for example with speed fx, i.e. record at one speed, plays at another

yes, you can use the send and return blocks to route audio from anywhere to anywhere within the layout

no granular fx as such, but you can use the tape delay to play back audio at a different speed by modulating the motor speed. it's also possible to make faux granular effects by modulating volume at very fast rates. if you go to my website you can hear some examples of what i'm talking about and also check out Leon Todd's youtube channel, as he demo'ed some of the presets on there too.

yes, you can use the send and return blocks to route audio from anywhere to anywhere within the layout

no granular fx as such, but you can use the tape delay to play back audio at a different speed by modulating the motor speed. it's also possible to make faux granular effects by modulating volume at very fast rates. if you go to my website you can hear some examples of what i'm talking about and also check out Leon Todd's youtube channel, as he demo'ed some of the presets on there too.

thanks, will check them out
haha, you know i just realised I missed page 2 of this thread. must've read pg 1 and thought that was it, apologies :)

yeah, done all this bro

Where can I find it? Is it also for the Axe fx II?

Then you could do fun stuff with other modifiers..
  • Square LFO to auto activate on/off like the switch
  • Envelope to on/off when above threshold
  • Sequence to do pattern stutters
It might also using possible to use the switch ON/OFF to set different delay times
With digital delay mode it might result in more glitch (maybe cool?) cos I don't think it would stretch the audio but with the tape mode it would stretch the audio giving pitch based stutters

Well, yes and no. The transients on the sequencer steps and square LFO are pretty soft for a proper stutter effect. They simply weren't designed for that kind of thing.

Well, yes and no. The transients on the sequencer steps and square LFO are pretty soft for a proper stutter effect. They simply weren't designed for that kind of thing.

The sequencer (with damping off) and square LFO change values instantly. The softness you've noticed was likely related to the parameter being controlled, or possibly modifier damping.

For example, mute-bypassing or engaging a block does something like a 50 ms fade out/in. Delay hold does a fairly slow ramp on input gain & feedback that makes it kind of useless with time under 100 ms or so. A mixer block has unavoidable damping on its row level controls, even if modifier attack/release are zero. The last time I checked, the Vol/Pan block's volume parameter was the only thing that would respond immediately and create pops with zero damping. (The mixer block was the only one that worked for this on the Axe-FX II, while the vol/pan block had some automatic damping.)

Reactions: Rex
The sequencer (with damping off) and square LFO change values instantly. The softness you've noticed was likely related to the parameter being controlled, or possibly modifier damping.

For example, mute-bypassing or engaging a block does something like a 50 ms fade out/in. Delay hold does a fairly slow ramp on input gain & feedback that makes it kind of useless with time under 100 ms or so. A mixer block has unavoidable damping on its row level controls, even if modifier attack/release are zero. The last time I checked, the Vol/Pan block's volume parameter was the only thing that would respond immediately and create pops with zero damping. (The mixer block was the only one that worked for this on the Axe-FX II, while the vol/pan block had some automatic damping.)

Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about. This is with damping in the controller off, and the sequencer damping turned all the way down. The sequencer is controlling the Vol/Pan block volume. Using the mixer block gain is even softer. I've never been able to get a decent trance gate or stutter in the AxeFX, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about. This is with damping in the controller off, and the sequencer damping turned all the way down. The sequencer is controlling the Vol/Pan block volume. Using the mixer block gain is even softer. I've never been able to get a decent trance gate or stutter in the AxeFX, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Sorry, I remembered wrong about the volume block. It was faster than other options but not instant. The fades lasted around 15 ms like in your recording. I can't think of any way to get a faster level change.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/faster-bypass-mixer-multiplexer-ramps.147609/

wow, that's a bit disappointing - in my experience, switching in the digital realm is instant and requires slew to eliminate pops and clicks and only a couple milliseconds are needed to smooth transitions so they're purposefully slowing this down!

On H9000, using Square wave to change a level control resulted in too much clicking so adding slew module between the LFO and the control sorted that out.
So this param really needs to be exposed

@GlennO Since the modifiers are just changing the ON/OFF for the Delay hold option, you could use the LFO to control that and use the Envelope to control that switch as well...but as you guys say it's disappointing you can't use super short stutter settings

For stuttering of upcoming audio, then surely the Trem block should give that?

It's disappointing receiving parameters can't be modified more instantly but this should be an easy enough fix?
Kinda means simulating granular is out of the question if you can't modify param super quick

hmm, do I get the Axe FX...

I would still get the Axe fx @macgee just be aware that a second piece of gear may be required if glitch is your bread and butter.

I was considering a zoia or cooperfx, but I'm gonna wait until it's a need not a want.

Granular? Thats a whole other matter. I’m happy with the granularizer I wrote for Omnisphere but I don’t see how you could do anything remotely like that with an axe fx.

@Budda, I'm seriously considering but was hoping to have one box to do as much as possible without needing additional gear (stock arriving in EU in August apparently)

I have the Eventide H9000 and a lot of the glitch stuff is covered but sadly no granular and not sure if that will ever show up? Thankfully I can build my own algos from scratch. It also supports GEN with MAXMSP so lots of pros for that Platform.

Still, I'd like the Axe FX to be able to do proper glitch (needs instant modifiers) to use with the Axe amps & algos and without convoluted workflows - seems at least some stuff is achievable and will only know by testing

With the rate of development with the Platform and with the industry being currently massive on Glitch/Granular I'd hope that some dedicated functionality should be on the horizon?

i would say, design your own stutter fx on the 9000, or get some dedicated glitch pedals. lots about. for granular, you can't beat plugins. i have my laptop set up with a whole bunch of em. did you go listen to the sound examples on my website? it'll give you a good idea of what's possible at the moment.

exactly. ideally, we could do with a new block that's a cross between a delay and the looper. no need for the looper controls, just a stack/hold with the ability to modify start and end times, as you say. more than one read head and you could get into granular territory, but it would be very cpu intensive.

@simeon

firstly thanks for your feedback while i make my purchase decision. and thanks for pointing me to your site, i got a decent impression of the boxes capability. i’m wondering, some of the effects had some clicking artefacts, was that because of the source?

regarding some of your other posts, i’m curious, why you mention CPU? think I saw another post where you mentioned something about cpu referencing Cliff and to rather use external tool.. is there a philosophy on the axe about cpu?

in zoia world, you build till you run out of cpu and same in Eventide H9000 with vsig.
i built a pseudo granular sampler for the H9000 using the same sampler used for the looper. on a single arm core was able to run 8x loopers each with their own multi tap(8) and with a bunch of other complexity adjusting looper record speed then change playback speeds with modulating filters, and finally a stereo delay etc and I can still keep going.
aren’t these keystone dsp’s more capable than the arm processors?

thanks

not really sure what you're asking. you can just keep adding stuff into a preset until you can't add any more. simple as that. there's no "philosophy". remember that half of the dsp in the axe is devoted to running the amp modelling. sounds like the H9000 is a great tool. i doubt the axe can compete in terms of flexibility and power. that's not really what it's about. different platform...it's about having the most accurate amp models and the fx compliment that. i think many of your questions would be answered if you actually got your hands on a unit. there is a 15 day returns policy if you don't like it.

@simeon , I didn't know that applied in EU - further searching shows G66 in EU has a money back guarantee, awesome!

i was referring to this post of yours in looper-requests - page-2#post-1879613
couldn't direct link to it for some reason

so i was more questioning the dev philosophy around DSP utilisation.
e.g. would Fractal develop a very DSP heavy block?
so an amp, comp, drive and then this new DSP heavy block would max the dsp.
Actually are there any current examples like that?

there’s not a lot of places to go to for new and modern studio quality rack effects gear that's frequently updated, Axe FX & H9000 afaik
i picked the H9000 instead of the Axe FX in 2018, think I recall a premium charge for the Axe at the time, maybe being just released!

Back
Top Bottom