Wish Dedicated Stutter/Glitch block

A sequencer running at a really fast rate with 64 steps attached to any volume parameter could do glitch stuff...dude can you attach a modifier to resolution or tempo?? You could ramp it up or down with a control pedal

...plus you could attach that sequencer pattern to as many knobs as you want in varying amounts and ranges, or backwards.

The sequencer is a good thought for a work around but probly tedious to get working. I’ll have to give it a try. The glitch thing has gotten popular and would be cool to be able to cop different meters within a single passage. Would be a cool addition.

If you programmed a sequence pattern you like, attached an ADSR to both run and resolution (or tempo), you could have it trigger-on like the new tremolo trigger, and as ADSR decays, the resolution of the sequencer steps up or down...1/32, 1/16t, 1/16, 1/8t, 1/8..., where the pattern changes resolution while attached to gate, pitch, filter in varying amounts.

we've been asking for modifiable tempo subdivisions for ever and it would be so useful, especially for stuff like this. even simple applications, like being able to change delay subdivision with an expression pedal, so toe up = dotted 8ths and toe down = 1/4 notes. you can do this on an eventide eclipse, btw.

i have been trying to work on some glitchy stuff lately and managed to get a sort of hologram jets thing going on by flipping between two delay blocks and randomly fooling with their delay times. also a sort of red panda tensor thing, which has enveloped controlled delay holds. when the delay times are really short, syncing them isn't really an issue.

having a dedicated glitch block i think is too complicated, myself. i think it's better to have the tools available and build what you want. glitch/stutter is not a well defined "effect". better to have delay type that's happy to have it's time modified without artefacts and the ability to select between tempo subdivisions with a modifier. then you can create all kinds of different things, depending on which blocks you use and which parameters you modify.

i have been trying to work on some glitchy stuff lately and managed to get a sort of hologram jets thing going on by flipping between two delay blocks and randomly fooling with their delay times. also a sort of red panda tensor thing, which has enveloped controlled delay holds. when the delay times are really short, syncing them isn't really an issue.

Any chance you could share the preset sometime? I have 3 different glitch pedals on my board (bananana mandala, mini-glitch, and stamme[n]). Being able to take even 1 off would be so nice.

yeah, i'll chuck a couple in my bundle i'll be releasing soon. i doubt you'll be taking any pedals off your board though....

btw, i reckon you could emulate some of the stuff those three pedals do pretty easily. i'll create another couple of patches based on what i hear in the demos.

that would be so nice... even a simple non-latching stutter with no dry signal would be useful. With the ax8 I dumped everything except those and the frequout. Happy to pay for a bundle !

If we had the opportunity to modify loop start and end with a modifier or expression pedal in the looper that would be all you need. In the meantime using 2 delays and adjusting delay time (after hold) is an excellent example and at the end of one delay feed it back into the first. Would also be nice in the feedback patch if we had a Frequency Shifter. I’ve been doing guitar glitch feedback work for 25 years and it all comes down to doing things the wrong way. Look at Brian May, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, Hendrix, blah blah... These guys follow the rules? Nope...they asked “What if I did this”.

Last edited:
exactly. ideally, we could do with a new block that's a cross between a delay and the looper. no need for the looper controls, just a stack/hold with the ability to modify start and end times, as you say. more than one read head and you could get into granular territory, but it would be very cpu intensive.

A way to adjust sample time as well as stutter repeat. TBH this doesn’t have to be separated out. Maybe use expression pedal to move it latter around during stutter (that would use latching of course). Ability to select if pitch is modified when repeat length is changed during playback.

I don’t use this often but for ideas - hexe Revolver and mini glitch have some random modes that would randomize the following:
*sample length time
*stutter frequency
*when it kicks in
*how long it stays on

I can’t test this to figure out how many foot presses are going on here and can’t really follow the capture lengths, but this preset demo makes me think it wouldn’t be impossible to get there:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tape-delay-looper-fun.157909/

Also, I have an ax8 but I’ll be getting an FM3 ASAP. I’m guessing I’ll be able to get closer on the newer hardware.

Last edited:
some of that stuff can already be done with random modifiers attached to certain parameters in a delay, but we only have two lfo's, so it's a little limited and it always feels a little bit like trying to get a square peg in a round hole, because it's not the right tool for the job. still, you can have some fun with a bit of creative routing and intelligent use of modifiers.

There’s all kinds of ways to randomize buffers that most people don’t realize. LFO’s and Expression pedals are the beginning. Using sequencers and gates are a step up from that. Using tables give you absolute control over a sample. Pierre Henry pioneered working with recordings (buffers) in musical ways with Pierre Schaefer inventing the Phonogene in the 40’s. The Phonogene was the start (in the 40’s) of what we know now as sampling.

Back
Top Bottom