Wish Dedicated Pickup Tone Match block

There are quite a few variables that go into what gives a pickup it’s unique sound, as such, you can’t really simply match it with an eq curve.

Tone matching adjusts one thing to sound like another thing. You could do a tone match to make your pickups in your guitar sound more or less like another pickup in another guitar (@lqdsnddist is right, by the way — the difference between pickups is more than EQ, and Tone Match is EQ). But the resulting tone match would depend on your guitar. Start with a different guitar, and you get a different tone match. How many tone matches would Fractal have to make to be sure that your guitar and your pickups could be matched to another guitar?

Anyway, the only difference between a regular Tone Match and a pickup Tone Match is what you hook up to it. In other words, a pickup Tone Match block would be identical the Tone Match block you already have.

I think that's exactly what people said about Fractal when they started vs real amps...

Sure, but the amp modeling isn’t just changing the EQ to make one amp sound like another is it?

The circuit itself, type of tubes, amount of negative feedback, tone stack, etc etc all make an amp sound unique

Same pickup can sound very different depending how the guitar is wiring, what type of values and caps your using on the tone pot, etc. In other words, it’s not an EQ curve so you can’t tone match it, sorry.

If I remember correctly the trick in the Variax is that they use the piezo PU which is a better starting point for tone matching pickups.
That's the reason why they can also change the tuning of a single string, as the piezo has usually six separated signals.

Any other type of PU will be too much processed to to match to other PUs. I.E. if you start with a Tele single coil which has a specific tone, that tone can never become an EMG or a DiMarzio.

I would pay for having 6 Mono IR players. Then I would connect the 6 individual outputs of the Roland GK Divided Pickup to the 6 Axe-FX II inputs, to process the six strings separately. *** Roland V-Guitar with Fractal Audio quality ***

Last edited:
I would pay for having 3 Mono IR players. Then I would connect the 6 individual outputs of the Roland GK Divided Pickup to the 6 Axe-FX II inputs, to process the six strings separately. *** Roland V-Guitar with Fractal Audio quality ***

Or you could just buy another guitar with a different type of pickup installed in it ;)

Well to be fair I never said to use just EQ for this, I just used the term Tone Match block as a referance... what I'm talking is just a new effect type block that will do the trick.

I was wondering if there is a way for Fractal to do a dedicated pickup tone match block to compete with what Line 6 do in their Varias guitar models? I know users have done similar things on their own but this will be something from factory.
I have a Digitech GNX 2 that has a feature they call pickup modeling. It works great with my strat, because I like a little more beef. I hope Fractal comes up with something for this.

There is also a stomp box called a Maxz Thickener that seems to do pretty good. I don't see any reason why something like this can't be done with the Axe Fx.

Back
Top Bottom