Deconstructing my JCM-800 Firmware 10.02 **ONLY 10.02 ONLY**

Re: Deconstructing my JCM-800 Preset Firmware 10.02

Scott Peterson said:
AndrewSimon said:
Cool
Now we need more Drive blocks!

;)

That's a wishlist item I could definitely live with. I do fine with the filters as boosts though.

I just tried a stereo output with 2 Tape Drives... sounds great!!!!....... but it's complicated to setup.
What we really need is a "Stereo Rack Version" of the Tape Drive..... with added "hiss" level. (seriously, it adds to the magic)

;)

Thanks Scott!!!
I think there's still a lot to learn about the box and your approach is an example.
Thanks for sharing it.

Scott Peterson said:
That's a wishlist item I could definitely live with. I do fine with the filters as boosts though.

Damn Ultra owners... :lol: :lol:

The original wishlist tread: more drive blocks.

Wonderful post, Scott!

Scott Peterson said:
If you use stock IR's, then set them to Brit-412 (no Mic) and 412-30W (SM57). It's not the same thing, you lose the cab 'thump' but it sounds good.
For a bit more thump, try the R121 on the 30W, and the 57 on the Brit412 or 4x12 20W. That's my basic setup, panned hard L/R.

Scott Peterson said:
One thing I'd like to note for guys that don't play metal, when Cliff redid the power amp modeling for 9.0x firmware, there was a huge to-do about the top end. Some guys loved it; some guys did not. Cliff opened up the parameter by splitting it and noting in the firmware notes that you could roll the HF Resonance back to 2.5 for less aggressive top on the amps. A lot of guys, out of ignorance, fear of 'advanced' settings or tweaking, won't even think to change that setting. Other than metal, I set that to 2.52 almost universally (I'm not a metal player) for ALL my amp blocks
Amen to this one bro. This makes a big difference.

JWW

Scott Peterson said:
pharmd07 said:
If you don't mind me asking, why do you run your delay and reverb in parallel?

I don't like reverberated delays/delayed reverbs. When you separate them, it sounds clearer to my ear. I've always done it that way.

Never made sense until now. Thanks for the clarification (literally!)!

Awesome post. Thanks so much for the info!

Question: I noticed you still have a PEQ block in the chain, but it isn't active when I load the patch. Do you activate the PEQ block when playing live? Do you ever mess with the Global EQ?

Thanks.

Chad said:
Awesome post. Thanks so much for the info!

Question: I noticed you still have a PEQ block in the chain, but it isn't active when I load the patch. Do you activate the PEQ block when playing live? Do you ever mess with the Global EQ?

Thanks.

I do activate the PEQ live (and in recording) depending on the song, band, etc.. In my experience, a busier mix (more instruments, more vocals) needs me to be 'smaller' in the sonic spectrum - I kick it in. If it's a trio setup, I go large and hog up all the space I can. :D

I do not need to touch Global EQ unless the room is overly bright (sometimes) or dark (rarely). I've used global EQ a handful of times over the past 3 years, but far and few times.

Thank you Scott! I'm one of those guys who wants to learn to do this properly, but I tend to get all wound up and anxious about doing something "wrong". I get to the point where I start second guessing my ears out of fear... Your post helped alleviate a lot of that. I've worked for countless hours on my presets and most people that hear them live think they're great, but I still get worked up over it.

Thanks Scott, nicely done!

IMO it in no way replaces a real pre or tape, but it certainly adds some mojo which is cool. Everyone should also try the same concept with the FET Boost as it does similarly cool things as well. Go ahead and try replacing the diode with one of the tubes, cool stuff there too. As to the compression it causes, you can control that to some degree by how hard you hit the front of it, so you can hit it lightly and use something behind it to bring the gain back up if need be.

Enjoy...

Scott,
Thanks for taking the time to share this, it was very helpful.

HUGE thanks for taking the time and effort to share this information with us, Scott. I am still an Axe newbie, and there is a lot of great info you shared here for those of us who are truly interested in learning how to use this amazing tool to craft our dream tones. Class act, my friend

Corey

Glad it's informative to folks. That's the idea.

Here's a little taste of something that's to come next week AFTER I gig test it, but it's really cool so I thought I'd drop it. Here's a post I just did on TGP:
I like what the Tape Drive did at the end of the signal chain in all of my testing of current presets. I do want to try it post cab / pre time based stuff to see if it makes a difference (for my uses).
I could see a clean patch and using one drive upfront. I've also tested a little with using a NULL FILTER approach (I guess all I'm doing is boosting the signal being fed into the amp?) and that has added a lot, but it does boost the volume a lot on semi-dirty patches (not sure if there is a control on the filter I should be tweaking to be able to adjust the volume levels accordingly).
So, between using the Tape Drive in the back, some creative use of filters and of course your volume/tone controls it's possible to get a lot of mileage out of one patch -- of course the Standard can hold 384 patches :D
I have so much yet to try... I haven't even tested the Bassman patch on the AxeFX.
Here's a little taste of what's to come:

Instead of the "Null" filter type, try a "Peaking" centered around 1250Hz @ a 0.75Q at +3db. I have Filter3 (Ultra only) set up this way pre amp block.

Another STACKABLE idea is to use the High Frequency Shelving type in the filter block; try Filter1 as a 158Hz @ a 1.20 Q at +2db AND Filter2 as a 120Hz @ 1.20Q +2db filter - both before your amp block. Now stack up Drive1 (as the tape drive) with Filter1 & Filter2. Try different variations of them.

For a solo boost, try this: Filter4 (Ultra Only) at 1500Hz @ a 0.75Q at +3db and put this block AFTER your amp/cab.

And that's why I am happy I have an Ultra, because once you start stacking/mixing/matching these across most any preset *AND* add your guitar's volume knob and picking dynamics... you have almost endless shades of making things overdrive a bit more (or less) and create all sorts of dynamic fun.

Not gig tested yet, but that's how I'm rolling right now.

If you've got the tools, and find ways to use them... have at it!!

If you have Standard, I'd try maybe one filter before and one after your amp/cab blocks; just see what you like. The post amp one is awesome, though I need to check it live. It's perceived as a perfect lead 'bump' without all the lowend mud and high end hash that a null filter (aka "across the board BOOST") adds. Also allows you to pop up your levels without clipping your physical outputs.

Having fun yet? I am. :D

Scott, you mentioned slightly offset panning two cab models, but then you run into a DRIVE block at the end of the chain... this sums to mono as you probably know.

Thinking of the subject of using an EQ before and after your amp, one is reminded of good old amptone.com ("Since 1997" and I won't say anything more...)

Matman - you are correct. Does it still sum to mono if I bypass it?

And EQ before/after your amp? I remember guys like Stryper and other bands (Icon, if you know who they are) doing that in the 80's very - VERY - effectively. I've messed around with it on my 'BigHair' preset, though I don't use it very often. Hmm, maybe I need to revisit that now.... ;) :D

gittarzann said:
Scott Peterson said:
and other bands (Icon, if you know who they are) :D

You are a Rock and Roll Maniac!

I freaking LOVE Icon; that was perhaps one of my favorite bands back then.. though nobody else (seemingly) in Michigan where I live had any idea who they heck they were.

I still like to jam "Night of the Crime" for my fill of 80's 'drama' metal.

WOW, that is a LOT of great information!

THANKS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom