decomposing foam in ATA case

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
So quick question for community, I have a ATA Anvil II keyboard case that I have had for too long and all of the foam is decomposing, was wondering if anyone else has restored similar and just looking for any shortcut/pointers as I imagine need to scrape it all out use "Goo be Gone" or similar product on the reminiscent foam then replace.

I'd probably try and get as much out as I can then use the heat gun and putty knife to see if I could get the rest. An old empty paint can works great to scrape goo into. Or a new empty paint can which is cheap at Home Depot. Probably best to avoid chemicals if at all possible and remove it mechanically. I once had to remove some indoor/outdoor carpet from a concrete porch that had been glued down for 20 years. I tried EVERYTHING from scraping, grinding, power washer and finally ended up using freaking paint stripper. Was a gooey NASTY mess to scrape off. If you use chemicals make sure they won't react with or melt whatever material your case is made of.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I've been through this, and have not found a simple/easy way.
I'd rip out as much as possible with your hands and a putty knife.
Then spray with goo-gone, let it sit for a few....then scrap again with putty knife.
Repeat the sequence.
I did it multiple days in a row. Took a while, but it will come off.

The heat will help make the glue (probably contact adhesive) soften, but it's scraping and cleaning for you. If its a consolation, you dont ave to make whats under the foam totally clean. Just remove as much of the foam as you can (preferrably all of it) and in that process, scrape the glue you can off, then clean it with something like alcohol (acetone may not treat any plastic very well), reapply contact glue to the case and the new foam, then press the new foam into place. Thansk
Pauly

The heat will help make the glue (probably contact adhesive) soften, but it's scraping and cleaning for you. If its a consolation, you dont ave to make whats under the foam totally clean. Just remove as much of the foam as you can (preferrably all of it) and in that process, scrape the glue you can off, then clean it with something like alcohol (acetone may not treat any plastic very well), reapply contact glue to the case and the new foam, then press the new foam into place. Thansk
Pauly
Thank you I appreciate your recommendations and response...

I've been through this, and have not found a simple/easy way.
I'd rip out as much as possible with your hands and a putty knife.
Then spray with goo-gone, let it sit for a few....then scrap again with putty knife.
Repeat the sequence.
I did it multiple days in a row. Took a while, but it will come off.
Thanks, I apricate your response, I kind if figured that's what I'll be doing but thought, why not ping all of the smart forum members to make sure...

I just got done doing that to an anvil guitar flight case. The foam was almost a powder. I used a 3" putty knife to scrape it out. I didn't bother trying to remove all of the old gooey adhesive. I just discovered DIYroadcases and they were awesome to deal with if you need any hardware.

I just got done doing that to an anvil guitar flight case. The foam was almost a powder. I used a 3" putty knife to scrape it out. I didn't bother trying to remove all of the old gooey adhesive. I just discovered DIYroadcases and they were awesome to deal with if you need any hardware.
cool, thanks for responding I'll add DIYRC to my short list for parts, I'm going to need replacement foam, where did you get yours from was it DYIRC?

Don’t. The moment a grain of sand gets past the foam, it’ll start chewing through the sides. A fraction of an inch later, you’ve got a hole in your case.
Thanks for your recommendation, I was looking at a company here in my area, I figured it'd only take a few minutes for someone to blast it but my case walls are plywood (Anvil II) I defiantly do not want holes in my trusty Roland keyboard case. It would look like scraping and rubbing appears to be the only way to prep the surface.

cool, thanks for responding I'll add DIYRC to my short list for parts, I'm going to need replacement foam, where did you get yours from was it DYIRC?
I already had foam from a previous project. I bought external corner casters, bumpers and a handle from them. WAY nicer to roll that flight case through airport and town thsn to carry it long distances.

How about take the heat gun directly to the surfaces that are decomposing? Heat and chemical processes made those polymers in the first place. Some heat on the surface could get it melty enough to keep from fringing and you'll get more life out of it before you have to do the inevitable (steps mentioned above).

Just don't catch it on fire.

I would attempt a solvent. Carefully
M.E.K (not MEK alternative)
..has been useful for welding ABS plastic
And stripping the backing off marine vinyl to make it super pliable. It is nasty and flammable.
But may melt the foam into something less labor intensive

How about take the heat gun directly to the surfaces that are decomposing? Heat and chemical processes made those polymers in the first place. Some heat on the surface could get it melty enough to keep from fringing and you'll get more life out of it before you have to do the inevitable (steps mentioned above).

Just don't catch it on fire.
I tried that and it started to also melt the ABS glued to the backside (and made that glue separate as well).
Stopped quickly and went back to putty knife and goo gone.

Oh, I also tried a palm sander. It got gummed up too fast to be worthwhile.

I tried that and it started to also melt the ABS glued to the backside (and made that glue separate as well).

Damn that sucks...how about trying one of these?Screenshot_20210721-220254~2.png
Or a wire brush with the goo gone?

Thanks, I'm on fence for solvents and really dont have place to use safely anyways...

Back
Top Bottom