Decisions....tube or solid state power amp?

csassakb

Inspired
All

I know the Matrix power amps are quite popular, but because I have a slight preference for a tube amp over a modeler, I am thinking of running the Fractal into a tube power amp, and guitar cab

Thoughts?

... but because I have a slight preference for a tube amp over a modeler...

Well, as everybody will tell you, if it sounds good to you then it is good. There are no rules.

But I don't get it.

I was a died in the wool tube fanatic a few years ago. For me it wasn't the crappy overdrive that turned me off solid state amps, it was the lack of the "feel" of the tubes. You can seriously get that feel with the Axe and the latest firmware - there's no need (IMHO) for real tubes any more.

Also, to use a tube power amp you'll probably need to turn off the power amp modelling in the Axe. That means that you won't be able to crank the MV and get power amp distortion out of the Axe, so you'll lose out on one of the biggest advantages of the Axe - power amp distortion without making your ears bleed.

Authentic or not, my Axe>Randall Rt2/50>Port City 1x12 EVM rig is flat out the most amazing thing I own. Some amps I run power amp sims on, others off.
Do I care if it doesn't sound exactly like someone else's so-and-so amp? No. It sounds great and that's all I care about.

I was happy with the Axe run full range before, but now I don't know how I could be happier.

If you are willing to trust the pre-amp valve modelling, then why not the valve power amp modelling?

Matrix all the way for me.

I found the tube power amps (Engl, Mesa, Marshall) I've tried with the Axe FX sounded better but the volume needed to achieve that sound was too much of a compromise. It was just too loud for rehearsals and the venues we were playing. I've been using the Matrix SS amp for several years with no regrets or plans to change.

I've found following product description on the Fryette website about the upcoming LXII, which seems to have been updated recently:
http://www.fryette.com/lxii-stereo-power-amp/

Is this total nonsense then?

I also noticed some people, like Yek, do prefer a tube power amp for the "natural feel" so I also am still wondering what the best solution would be.
Currently I am still using the power amp section of my triple rectifier. (I no longer use the pre amp as the Axe-Fx has taken over this duty :)).
I am planning on buying a power amp to replace the amp but am still undecided on which route to take...

I use a Carvin TS100 (with power sims on) and I think sounds better than my Matrix GT1000FX (which I then sold), which, in turn, sounded better than a Mesa 50:50 (which sounded good, but made everything sound like it was Mesa-ized).

Do you need to sound like tens or hundreds of different amps, or do you just settle on "your" couple sounds and leave it? The tube power amp could be part of what colors and makes up "your" sound, but it could end up making all of your hundreds of different amps sound more similar.

Another question to consider is, are you wanting to continue down the path of modeled amp sounds or eventually move to a real amp in the room sound? If you get a tube power amp and cab, you could eventually get a tube pre amp and just use the axe fx for effects. It works great like this. The axe fx amp sounds will still be there whenever you want to silently record or practice. Personally I don't think using the axe fx with a tube power amp and cab is its strong point. It's not bad but surprisingly it's easier to dial in an amazing sound in the axe when you can use its power amp sims and a cab sim. I think it's best to just go full modeling with frfr speakers or go full tube rack amp using just effects from the axe fx.

My vote is go tube power amp and cab and someday get a tube preamp to go with it. But I'm probably biased since that's what I do. It's bulkier than FRFR but it's a no compromise setup.

I, at one point, had a Matrix GT1000 and a Fryette Power Station.

In an A/B test the Matrix sounded a bit boomy by comparison.

The Fryette in neutral settings, all Axe settings equal, sounded better but more significantly responded better to the touch. To me it felt more alive.

Both great amps but I ended up selling the Matrix.

Buy the best of both and AB if you can. it will save you some money. So buy a Matrix (they have a trial period) and buy maybe a fryette power station or used carvin ts 100 or mesa 290. Then make your choice.

Solid state. Smaller, lighter, more durable, and you can use the phenomenal power amp modelling of the different amps in the Axe FX. It's a no brainer.

The Mesa 50/50 and then the Fryette 2/50/2 both came and went, replaced dutifully by the ever reliable Matrix GT1000FX.
It's the Axe-Fx that creates all the tone, with no further colouration required downstream. The power amp then has the simple job of making it louder. Once I'd acknowledged this, it was a no brainier.

Back
Top Bottom