Decisions, Decisions

Texhex

Inspired
I’m torn, really torn.I have enough money right now to buy an AX8. I already have a Helix Native setup that I use through a pair of Alto TS212s and just recently sold a HD500X that I was using 4CM into my Marshall DSL100H for effects.

I figured out how to route the Helix Native setup through my DSL100H effects loop and front of amp using my DI and Reaper and use it now to replace the HD500X for effects and it sounds phenomenal through my amp and cabs.

I’m totally torn between getting an AX8 or a Helix LT or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier that I can pickup for the same price as the modelers. I’m leaning really heavy towards the AX8 because I already have a great sounding amp and the Helix Native setup gives me all the Helix sounds I could ask for.

I don’t play out, just at home and the AX8 looks like it has everything I could ever want for amps and effects to compliment what the Helix is missing.

I’m just worried about the AX8 life cycle. With the AXE III being released, I don’t want to buy a modeler that may be replaced by a newer model in a year or so by something that makes up for the shortcomings (preceived shortcomings by me, top 3 are lack of a headphone jack, only one amp block per preset, not able to use the device as a DI) of the AX8.

I’m 99% sure I’m going to end up getting an AX8, it’s just a little nagging voice in the background telling me that something better is on the way, but something better is always on the way.

Any one know how long the AX8 is planned to be supported?

All good points. You'd just hate to drop $1000 on a product and then 12-18 months later a new piece of hardware launches for $1300-$1500 that has physical differences that you can't overcome with software. Also knowing that a replacement model would come with full Ares support out of the box. The HD500X was and still is an incredible value but if you buy one you know that it's not getting updated, the new platform is already out and established.

Knowing that FA is porting Ares over to the AX8 is reassuring. The more I look at the FA software models the more I like it compared to Line 6 and already having Helix Native, I've got the guts of what LIne 6 can do and as they update the Helix software they keep Native updated.

I think I'm really just nervous about making the jump to a new piece of gear and parting with my money. LOL!

Regardless if it was the end of the line,(which it currently is not) The AX8 is the best musical purchase I've ever made, it's ridiculous how good it is. Ive A/B'd it with a Helix ( close friends) and although they are both fantastic options, IMHO the AX8 is just better all-round.

Buy a used ax8 so you can eventually sell it without losing much money whenever a new version comes out.

Via USB the interface is line 6 monkey.
Yep, I had the XT Live for many years, as well as other Line 6 products, and know how they work. My comment was in response to the concern over future support of the AX8. Point being that people buy other effects or modelers but don't seem to let a "lack of support" influence their decision or bother them and simply use them as they are.

I don’t play out, just at home and the AX8 looks like it has everything I could ever want for amps and effects to compliment what the Helix is missing.

I’m just worried about the AX8 life cycle. With the AXE III being released, I don’t want to buy a modeler that may be replaced by a newer model in a year or so by something that makes up for the shortcomings (preceived shortcomings by me, top 3 are lack of a headphone jack, only one amp block per preset, not able to use the device as a DI) of the AX8.
It sounds like the Axe Fx II XL+ would fit your needs better as it checks off all the shortcomings you mentioned and portability is not a concern. The AX8 seems to have been designed more with live use in mind which is more than likely why any of the 'shortcomings' exist.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve been reading a ton on the FA forums. AX8 is a winner, no doubt.

There is a lot of truth to what people are saying about how great of a product the AX8 is, even if it never gets another update ever. Looking forward to plugging into one.

Thanks again.

Think about this... I have an Ultra which hasnt been updated in years and is 2 generations behind the current FA flagship. I have used Helix Native for a month and still highly prefer my Ultra any day of the week.

But I do understand the physical hardware potential update concerns. Tone and effects wise, my ultra still kicks butt and I can only imagine what the ax8 is like. Once i find work again, I may look at an ax8 (and sell my old hd500) as I love the footboard platform for playing into the pa. Suxh an easy grab and go format.

Reactions: Rex
I would buy a used ax fx II since you do not play live. the interface would be worth the difference. actually there aint any difference in price buying a used axe fx II, compared to a new AX-8.

I would buy a used ax fx II since you do not play live. the interface would be worth the difference. actually there aint any difference in price buying a used axe fx II, compared to a new AX-8.
^^^ this is super excellent advice.

Think about this... I have an Ultra which hasnt been updated in years and is 2 generations behind the current FA flagship. I have used Helix Native for a month and still highly prefer my Ultra any day of the week.

But I do understand the physical hardware potential update concerns. Tone and effects wise, my ultra still kicks butt and I can only imagine what the ax8 is like. Once i find work again, I may look at an ax8 (and sell my old hd500) as I love the footboard platform for playing into the pa. Suxh an easy grab and go format.
This.

There are people today who are still gigging and loving the Axe-FX Ultra, and it’s been out of production for 7 years. There will always be something newer and better. Why spend your money on something you already don’t like as much as the AX8?

I have the Helix and AX8. I think the AX8 is just a little better and richer sounding across the board. The Helix is an awesome device for sure and way easier to use without a computer. But the Fractal, just sounds awesome. Part of that is the stock cabs are much easier to use and much more variety. But I've done EXTENSIVE tests with aftermarket IR's and the Fractal tends to sound a little nicer out of the gate to me.

As for buying an AX8, I bought a second one a couple months ago (had the Helix and missed the tone). I'm not worried about a replacement. The resale value is going to be great because it's a great product. I sold my first one for the same as they were selling new (no idea why they don't depreciate but it was mint and free shipping so I didn't feel like I ripped them off). I just saw an Axe FX II for $1400 used today, so by that same math if you buy one today for $1100 and they make a replacement next year, maybe the price drops to $800 at the bottom end. That's not bad at all, especially for guitar tech. But you're not buying an investment, you're buying gear.

As to modeler vs amp, that's up to you...but if I had a kick ass amp and no modeler, I'd want a modeler (especially one that can double as a pedal board).

Back
Top Bottom