• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Deciding to Sell

rabies

IMHO this is where the axe shines more than anything. Home/bedroom...

And for me also: Recording, Live, Loud, Silent, Headphones (really silent)....

If you think the axe is to pricey to keep, then that's another issue...
BTW... A 5 watt tube amp is really loud.. (Almost) Not for home use.. If your Yamaha's are to loud.. Well.. Turn down...
+1

I was thinking of returning the AFXIIXL but it is making me practice way more often and record way more music using GarageBand. If you want to do this with the kids asleep it would be more difficult with a tube amp and you'd have to mic it (more hassle).

Also, I use a 40watt Marshall 40C DSL combo and it's pretty loud but I run it around 1-1.5 on master at home. 5 watt should be fine for home use I'd imagine. No headroom or bottom end though...

Jeff B

Inspired
Well, I'm not going to try and talk you out of selling your AFX, but I agree with many that it does lend itself to good tones at a lower volume that I can ever get from a real amp. The two main tube amps that I own and have loved over the years are my Carvin Legacy (ver.1) and my Peavey JSX.

The Carvin is just LOUD! I put that thing on 1 and it about blows the wall down, but the tone doesn't begin to shine until I get it pumped up a bit. I had to use a Hot Plate between the head and cab just to be able to use the amp in any live/home situation.

I ended up switching to the JSX due to the 3-channels and the MV that allowed me to have more control of my volume while still cranking the channel volume for tone. It does help, but it's not the perfect solution. And in both cases, while performing, I couldn't be near the amps at any generous volume without feedback and squeal, so I was always on my volume knob and had more noise/hiss-cancelling units in my rack to defeat the problems.

The AFX has solved all of that for me. I can crank LOUD and it sounds great and I get the nice feedback if necessary, but I can also turn down and still have good tones for those late night practice sessions. I can stand next to the amp in a live situation and not have all the crazy hiss/feedback of my tube amps. Also, I can run into my Yamaha HS-50's and direct to the Mac for recording. No mics and iso-cabs necessary. :) It has slimmed down my rig and made things so much more manageable as compared to what I was running. I think that if I were you, I would keep the AFX, as it's going to offer you the tone of any amp you could ever want, along with the effects and ability to run it so many different configurations, that you'll be set for whatever task you may find you need.

Up to you, but if you do sell, I wish you luck with you new Marshall and I hope it fulfills all your needs. :)

dargor

Inspired
I love my Axe trough headphones and that's the reason I got into processors. I've always lived in apartments and having an amp is not pleasant for the neighbors. I do miss my Mesa Mark III with 4x12 cab that sounded killer with little tweaking, but when loudness is an issue, the Axe will be the better equipment. And to me every tube amp no matter how small is going to sound LOUD, and if you don't crank it up you never get that sweet tone.

axel

Power User
There are definitely valid reasons for wanting a real tube amp, but playing quietly isn't one of them. Having said that, there are definitely all-tube amps that still sound great at low volumes. Some tube amps do need to be cranked up to sound good, but not all.

ptgold

Inspired
The only thing that bothers me about the AXE is that it definitely isn't a easy portable solution.....not grab and go.

Hope the AXE 3 comes in a much smaller format.

Krakadon

Inspired
Compared to what?
+1. I have my Axe-FX, a power conditioner and audio interface in a 4 unit rack with covers that latch on. I can get it in and our of my studio in just a couple of minutes and it isn't that heavy and basically any 1x12 monitor is as light as any other speaker cab and probably a lot lighter. Grabbing my Axe-FX and a powered monitor is easier than moving a half-stack and about as easy as grabbing a 1x12 combo. The only way to go smaller is with a Pod or one of the "on the floor" type products but none are remotely as good as an Axe-FX,

luke

Fractal Fanatic
The only thing that bothers me about the AXE is that it definitely isn't a easy portable solution.....not grab and go.

Hope the AXE 3 comes in a much smaller format.
I'm surprised a company hasn't come up with a stereo 2x12 cabinet with a built in rack for the modeler world.

jw3571

Inspired
Original Poster here, I'll spend more time tonight messing with settings at low volumes with some of the tips people have given on here. WHat are people's opinions on the monitors. Would it sound better getting smaller monitors and being able to crank them up more than the HS80's? Another thing that's making this tough is the basement where I play is now tiled so it seems even louder. Thanks for all of your opinions.

luke

Fractal Fanatic
You are thinking like monitors are a tube amp, they should sound the same at any volume since they are providing clean power. Am untreated room will always cause acoustical challenges, and that is why headphones may sound better, as it eliminates the environment.

jlynnb1

Fractal Fanatic
You don't have to crank monitors, they aren't tube amps. Back the master on them way down. If you have them wide open, no wonder the output on the axe is unusable. I'd set the master on the monitors at somewhere between 25 and 50%, then use the output on the Axe toget the volume you need.

It's a really simple thing to fix.

Shask

Inspired
I find the Axe to be the best low volume rig I have ever used. I think any other small amp will be frustrating to you.

As far as tweaking, I think that tends to be in your nature or not. If you were on an amp, you would probably still tweak a lot if that is in your nature. You would be thinking about what pedals to add to it, changing your guitar pickups, thinking about speaker swaps, etc.... I don't think the Axe adds tweaking anxiety, it just makes it easier without additional purchases.....

Reactions: ALE

rabies

I find the Axe to be the best low volume rig I have ever used. I think any other small amp will be frustrating to you.

As far as tweaking, I think that tends to be in your nature or not. If you were on an amp, you would probably still tweak a lot if that is in your nature. You would be thinking about what pedals to add to it, changing your guitar pickups, thinking about speaker swaps, etc.... I don't think the Axe adds tweaking anxiety, it just makes it easier without additional purchases.....
You can swap power tubes in the AFX waaaaay easier and faster and cheaper than with a tube amp. Same thing can be said for cab swaps. Easier/faster/cheaper. So yes it can make you want to spend more time tweaking/experimenting...

EJ James

Experienced
I realize everyone has their own reasons, and each person has different situations to contend with, but every time I see one of these "I'm selling my Axe" threads and read the reasons, I sometimes just can't believe what I'm reading. I mean, this thing excels at just about everything you can throw at it (if you are inclined to work with it and tweak it to your needs).

For me, you'd have to pry my Axe from my cold, dead hands. I'll never part with this thing. EVER! Well, ok, I'll part with it when it's time to upgrade to the XL or <insert version when I'm ready to drop the cash on an upgrade>. I'll say this though, I'll never be without an AxeFX again.

OMG...I think I just had a withdrawal shiver just thinking about it. LOL

Ben Randolph

Power User
I have to admit sometimes I think to myself that I really don't need 150+ amps...more like a good Fender clean and a good Marshall drive amp. But there's also the matter of the full suite of effects and the recording interface, plus with the Ownhammer IR suite I get perfectly mic'd cabs every time. If the dog starts barking while I'm recording, I don't get canine accompaniment.

I think the ideal if someone has the cash is to have a great tube amp and pedalboard plus the AxeFX and a great set of monitors. Then, you have the best of both worlds.

If I had it to do again, I might not have gotten the MFC. Being a basement player, the MFC is probably overkill for my needs.

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
I have 2 1000 w monitors 7 feet from me, output one on the axe never past 9 oclock; and Im fine. great at nearly anyvolume. much better than desktop monitors, and I have 2 equators 2 feet from me for mixing.

jw3571

Inspired
I had been turning up the monitors because I thought some people on here said if you weren't driving them they didn't sound as good and became muddy sounding.

Top Bottom