• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Deciding to Sell

jw3571

Inspired
Hey, i've really enjoyed my Axe but i've recently moved and have wondered if my setup is just too much overkill for my basement/bedroom playing. I use FRFR(2 yamaha hs8). The things are just too powerful for my setup, I can barely turn them up or i turn them up 50% but then i can barely have the output knob turned on. I also find I end up just messing with presets when I play instead of just plugging in and playing, always trying to find that better sound. It's also not a very portable set up. I've also never understood why the axe sounds so much better to me through my headphones. I'm considering ditching my gear and getting a Marshall SL5 . Thoughts and opinions?

sickindian

Experienced
Im having that all the time but then i realise that i dont really have room for big fancy amp and thats why im isung axe change because i dont really find a lot of time to tweak either. I had my mesa markIV and man... it was exactly the same... one day it sounded killer but on the other day it was like youd wake up from matrix! go to the shop if you got any near round you and have a play to see if thats what you need because axe can do all of that and small speakers wont give you same headroom as large guitar cab.

MarcoB

Inspired
I think the Axe excels for bedroom playing. If you can turn it up loud, a tube amp might be hard to resist.

Krakadon

Inspired
!?! I use Axe-FX because I can't use a tube amp at home. There are already some good suggestions for gain staging. You can also get a mixer for as little as $50 for this application. You can also get smaller monitors. A pair of HS-50Ms can be had for less than $200 from ebay. I have two Mackie HR824 8" monitors and I can play my Axe-FX quiet as a mouse with excellent gain control and it takes not that much more room than typical PC 2.1 speakers.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Plenty of ways for low volume with AFX. I have mine set up in a SMALL bedroom - maybe 2 meters by 4 meters. Its upstairs in a semi detached house. I have options of either headphones, Adam A5X monitors or my Matrix amp into a 2x12 cab. All 3 options can be used quiet enough when y kids are in bed in the next bedroom, and still sound fantastic.

Recently had amp gas ... mainly for a pick up and go solution, and for a valve reference. Ive tried lots, and been tempted by a few - but I try them for an hour or so, come home to think and play my axe, which I can pretty much get to sound like the amps im trying. Really is no point in getting one unless I can really wind them up live (which Im not doing at the moment due to work), or I can find a very special amp at a steal.

Kriig

Fractal Fanatic
IMHO this is where the axe shines more than anything. Home/bedroom...

And for me also: Recording, Live, Loud, Silent, Headphones (really silent)....

If you think the axe is to pricey to keep, then that's another issue...
BTW... A 5 watt tube amp is really loud.. (Almost) Not for home use.. If your Yamaha's are to loud.. Well.. Turn down...

Muzza_Boogie

Experienced
Yeah im a room player at the mo.. playing through two 12" peavey 150 watt PA speakers. I crank the power amp and just use the axe volume pot, I fond it easy to manage and dig thr tone. My mkiii wouldn't play so nice :) ill never part with my axe unless its to upgrade.

RDH

Fractal Fanatic
Getting good tones at very low volumes is one of the big features of the Ax Fx for me ,actually the reason I gravitated toward modeling in the first place , Trying to play a tube amp at low volumes was one of my greatest frustrations , get a great tone , then have to turn it down , might as well play a kazoo! The Ax Fx sounds great at any volume!!! You have to do what works for you though! not everything works for everyone!

Booomm

Inspired
I also find I end up just messing with presets when I play instead of just plugging in and playing, always trying to find that better sound.
This is one of the 'negatives' of the Axe Fx if you will.
Obviously it's not really a negative, but having so many great sounds available can be distracting if you let it. Really that's just down to self discipline! Just pick a couple of tones that instantly work for you and stick with 'em!

cgraci

Inspired
Hey, i've really enjoyed my Axe but i've recently moved and have wondered if my setup is just too much overkill for my basement/bedroom playing. I use FRFR(2 yamaha hs8). The things are just too powerful for my setup, I can barely turn them up or i turn them up 50% but then i can barely have the output knob turned on. I also find I end up just messing with presets when I play instead of just plugging in and playing, always trying to find that better sound. It's also not a very portable set up. I've also never understood why the axe sounds so much better to me through my headphones. I'm considering ditching my gear and getting a Marshall SL5 . Thoughts and opinions?
That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard. Why don't you just sell the yamahas and play through a set of monitors. the axe will sound much better at lower volumes.

darrenw5094

Experienced
Why not buy the Marshall first and A/B it with the Fractal? Then make your mind up, you can just sell the Marshall if you still prefer the Fractal.

mtmartin71

Experienced
My thoughts? Doesn't make any sense. You get pretty much one sound out of that little amp and as others have mentioned, 5W will be LOUD as far as playing in a room. It will sound more pleasing than headphones...sure...but if volume is any concern then that amp won't do much justice. If you've got any inkling to record, the Axe is infinitely better. But, I would also agree you'd be better off to use monitors and those cost money.

rkbrock

Inspired
Tell you what. Let's trade. My ultra is stable on fw11 and I have some core sounds that dont need tweaking. Before I was constantly tweaking and not playing but now I don't have to change a thing. Lol

Seriously though I see what ur saying. All y have to do though is come up with some good core sounds and discipline yourself to play more. Then if u ever want a night of tweaking (lol) u still have all the fun at ur finger tips.

Top Bottom