Decent guitar and amp?

Additional controls = additional confusion for people not used to them. Doesn't matter if they know how to use a smartphone. The guy is a beginner after all. There's a reason why even on this forum most people don't tend to mess with the deeper parameters.

The layout is pretty self explanatory - I just googled the top view. OP can show him how to dial in the sounds he may want, and past that he can experiment. It's not too complicated.

Well he came to my house yesterday. He is going to up the budget and buy a decent Ibanez hsh with floyd. I own 4 ibanez guitars: a jem7v, a js1200, a preium with hh and fixed bridge and an older rg450L. I told him the pros and cons. Told him to look at other brands too but he was adamant. I am a leftie, so letting him really test something at my place wasn’t really happening. There is an Ibanez dealer at a 10min drive so that is where he will go as soon as they open. Ampwise I told him to look at a katana or rolad cube. I owned acube once so I could say something sensible about that. He did ask me if my axe was for sale. I advised against it. I do think the katana will be complex to start with, but a normal amp will make him have to (want to) buy effects too. My final advise was: buy a good guitar and ampwise: test, test, test and only buy when you are content with the sound as it is. Do not buy and think you will tweak it later to your liking. He will let me know if he needs more advice or when he bought something. All you folks thanks for the input.
Harm

You getting a beginner an Ibanez with a floyd- is a great disservice to him

He'll never be able to ever even tune it

I played guitar 3 years before I got one- it took me a year to figure out. And after only 20 years of professional playing I learned how to block it to tune it and adjust the springs back to get it in tune.

A squier/strat copy maybe, something simple. You're basically setting him up to fail and pawn/sell his stuff for pennies on the dollar

No you misread. He is getting a decent one. He is goung to spend more money. I warned him repeatedly about this. He is 60 and stubborn.

Surely there are Ibanez guitars without a Floyd? Or is it just because his guitar hero has one too?

Surely there are Ibanez guitars without a Floyd? Or is it just because his guitar hero has one too?
His mind was made up no matter what I said. He wants Petrucci, Vai, Satch. He really really really wants the floyd even if it makes the guitar more expensive. Money is no issue he said. Money is no issue. I just want good sound. Willing to pay 3k if necessary for a guitar and good amp/ effects.

ppl keep looking at me for this: but I really pleaded for a non-trem guitar and a simple amp. The rest is all him.

Then help him find a used JP6 (which isn't a floyd) and the katana or equivalent.

I recall a story on my first forum - retired UK cop, wanted to learn guitar after years of putting it off. He had the money to buy what he wanted - a gibson LP standard and a marshall halfstack (forget what model but it was a tube head IIRC). It wasn't cheap, and he enjoyed playing through it- and did so every day.

I say good for that guy if he's getting what he wants. Not sure what all the worry is about with a Floyd. I mean, once the strings are stretched and locked down shouldn't it stay in tune rather well? Mine do. Would I advise a beginner to change strings on a Floyd, probably not.....but that's what he has friends for, right? lol Unless the guy's a total idiot he'll be fine!!! lol

Tell him to spend it on a good guitar teacher and lessons. By the time he’s done he’ll know what he needs, and why.

His mind was made up no matter what I said. He wants Petrucci, Vai, Satch. He really really really wants the floyd even if it makes the guitar more expensive. Money is no issue he said. Money is no issue. I just want good sound. Willing to pay 3k if necessary for a guitar and good amp/ effects.

ppl keep looking at me for this: but I really pleaded for a non-trem guitar and a simple amp. The rest is all him.

But I thought he said his budget was 1000 Euros or @ $1100 - $1200 USD? SO, he is actually willing to spend 3 times this much?

Now that is a cat of a different color entirely. Should be very easy to setup a rig for that cost ($3k)....

But I thought he said his budget was 1000 Euros or @ $1100 - $1200 USD? SO, he is actually willing to spend 3 times this much?

Now that is a cat of a different color entirely. Should be very easy to setup a rig for that cost ($3k)....

yup.

Fools and their money are always parted. I once wasted €2500 on a rack setup because I wanted a rack like The Edge. It wasn't until afterwards that I went hmm, maybe I should have thought this out better in advance. Find out what I really needed first instead of buying some expensive rack delays. Right now the only thing I still have is the actual 19" rack, a 12 HE unit that currently forms my home stereo rig.

As someone once wrote in a fan fic I've read, wisdom either comes fast through pain or slow with experience. Always try to chose the latter. And wherever possible always try to listen to those who already have experience and wisdom. You'd think by now a guy his age would have learned that lesson.

Certainly nothing wrong with being careful with one’s money, but if he has the means, I’d say he’s earned the right to blow his wad on whatever he might choose for a rig.:p

So he has an acoustic guitar already? Why not learn to play a bit with a teacher or internet teacher. You know, lern some chords, learn a few erasy songs. Learn how to TUNE the guitar

Any beginner who has to have a particular guitar is going to quit as soon as it gets hard. So that's pretty soon. If he wanted to REALLY learn non of this would matter.

Back
Top Bottom