December 25th - Gift of Tone - Metallica’s Live Preset?

I’d imagine Metallica’s own presets are fairly slim, there’s not a whole lot of tonal variation going on in their set, regardless of the setlist; Clean, dirty, lead and the occasional effect Hammett might be using on “I Disappear” or something, but they’re definitely not doing a recreation of each album/era in their units.

You seem to be under the impression that the best or biggest will be saved for last. From the very beginning, they're ALL giants, and some of the biggest will up next, in what will be the middle. In fact, with even more great stuff lined up, we're now extending the run almost until New Year's.
Well, let's be honest, there's nothing better than a good old fashioned amazing Christmas present.....

Not your bro. I'd be more than happy to see them take the weekend off instead of giving us something on Christmas day.
I agree I hope they are taking a break hopefully Cliff is getting a bit of rest through the Holiday season with Gift of Tone being a focus

*Although previous experience tells me he is still working on stuff behind the scenes

I mean the biggest players left are what? Metallica, Petrucci, and Mayer?

The thing about these guys sharing their presets is I’m sure they are close variants of what they use but I’d guess they’re not exactly what they use live or on recordings just to protect “their” actual tone. I could be completely wrong but I know if I was one of them, I’d share something close to what I use or maybe an old preset that I no longer use. 😎

I mean the biggest players left are what? Metallica, Petrucci, and Mayer?

The thing about these guys sharing their presets is I’m sure they are close variants of what they use but I’d guess they’re not exactly what they use live or on recordings just to protect “their” actual tone. I could be completely wrong but I know if I was one of them, I’d share something close to what I use or maybe an old preset that I no longer use. 😎
Matt Bellamy, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton, The Edge, Alex Lifeson, Neil Schon.

Metallica is easy to do yourself. No need for their "proprietary" tones. There is nothing special going on in the tone. It is guitar, amp, some eq in the loop, cabs, occasional efx. Basic efx were delay for leads chorus on the cleans some verb in the mix. The wah wasn't really a thing in the early albums, as it is in every thing since black.

These are all the early tones up to Justice.

The MOP and Ride are very similar tones and these can be tweaked for Ride very easily. I have tried these on my Afx3 and I was able to hit these early tones easily.

I am not a fan of their stuff after Justice, so I never tried. I liked Deth Magnetic because it sounded like Garage days to me and the new Song Lux Aeturna sounds like the old days as well. I grew up listening to Kill em all through the black albums and was opening for these guys and the other biggies (before anyone knew who they were) back then.

https://imgur.io/gallery/NLyG6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom