Decapitated - Spheres of Madness [Axe Fx ii + JS Toneforge Menace]

Tyler B

Hey dudes, this last month has been very experimental in terms of blending new tones and trying out different sounding mixes. The focus has been more so on the mix than the playing itself, i smashed out the guitars in one take and didn't chop them up to avoid the Sumerian factor if i can help it. Vogg from Decapitated is an advocate for the 'jin jin jin jin' type of tone over a 'djenty' tone which is what im trying to achieve.
I still have a lot to learn in terms of mixing each instrument and their characteristics. Phase correction isn't a strong point and please excuse the ugly 4k'ish noise from the Bass guitar :D

i used this guitar tone; http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3631

For the Bass guitar tone i used the 'SV Bass' for a little focus -> TSE808 vst for more focus and drive -> JS Toneforge Menace vst (really good hi gain bass simulation)

On a second channel in my DAW (Reaper) i load up Bias and use a preset i found on Tonecloud called 'Super low Bass' for low frequency. I roll off all frequencies below 70Hz and during post processing stage i use two Waves plugins (Rbass and Maxxbass) to enhance the lower frequencies.

Im open to suggestion/ learning resources or if i can answer any questions you're more than welcome. Cheers

sounds great man - but was hoping you would break out with some insane lead part LOL real tight mix well balanced. little dry for me

the guitar tone is very after the burial haha, mixwise its not bad at all but it feels like its designed to put the guitars at the forefront (which is cool if thats the sound youre going for). but everyone has their own preferences and its definitely a tight mix no doubt.

the guitar tone is very after the burial haha, mixwise its not bad at all but it feels like its designed to put the guitars at the forefront (which is cool if thats the sound youre going for). but everyone has their own preferences and its definitely a tight mix no doubt.

Hey dude, im a big ATB fan! I used the intro from Pennyweight to tonematch their Cab sound.
You deciphered my objective pretty much spot on, guitars always at the forefront.
DL, ex- the Acacia Strain really inspired me to push the envelope with 'over the top' sounding mixes. I've still got a long way to go (and i started in 2004!) but im beginning to become more and more satisfied with each new mix i create. cheers mate.

mods, sorry for bumping an old'ish thread :)

Hey dude, im a big ATB fan! I used the intro from Pennyweight to tonematch their Cab sound.
You deciphered my objective pretty much spot on, guitars always at the forefront.
DL, ex- the Acacia Strain really inspired me to push the envelope with 'over the top' sounding mixes. I've still got a long way to go (and i started in 2004!) but im beginning to become more and more satisfied with each new mix i create. cheers mate.

mods, sorry for bumping an old'ish thread :)
Wormwood is probably my favorite super detuned guitar tone/mix. Everything just sounded absolutely crushing, keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom