Debating an altruistic gesture

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys,

I’m trying to decide on selling my AxeFxII or giving it to a friends son.

Years ago my friend would come to my shows and bring his young son once and awhile. He really wanted to be a guitarist and I taught him a few tricks on Cliffs of Dover and Always With Me. His dad said he learned to play both of them flawlessly.

The kid knew I graduated from Berklee and when he turned 18 he went to Berklee.
He graduates soon.

I’ll never have any kids so this is as close as I will ever get to having someone follow in my footsteps.

I’ve got a new AxeFxIII so my old II and mfc101 are just gathering dust.

Only things I’m considering is that my II is serial number 8 and was hand assembled and signed my Cliff.

I’m also in a hugely expensive legal battle since my wife died. Can’t talk about it now, but I will soon.

So, what do you think? Sell it for some short term survival money or a random act of kindness and let the universe look out for me?

I'm so sorry for your legal fight, and I wish you the best of luck with that.

I believe in karma, and I do think sending out kind gestures into the universe matters deeply; I would vote to give the unit to your friend's son. You may not see the kindness reflected to you in the way you expect, but it may happen in one form or another regardless.

Truly best of luck in getting through this.

The only question I would ask is:
If you give it to your friend's son and he flips it to get something else, would that bother you?

Personally, if I knew I'd never use it again and had someone like that in my life, I'd sell it and buy him an FM9. If it sold for more than the FM9 cost, you're money ahead. If not, you've gifted him the latest in modeling technology and something that will continue to grow with him.

If you're looking to "keep it in the family" give it to his dad with instructions it's not to be sold. He can then let his son use it.

Really no wrong answer here though, go with your gut.

In my experience heartfelt gestures last longer than money. That said,
I have been desperate before in life and didn't always heed that advice.

The fact that you are thinking about it says a lot. :)

Sorry, you have been saddled with being intertwined with shitty people. I hope all that
resolves itself in the best possible way.

There is no right answer! Sell it for cash or give it as a gift to someone you love ...
Either way, it won't make you a better person, you know that just coming here shows us that you are a good person!
Personally, giving something that is important to us to someone important to us is worth so much more. The money flies quickly but the symbolism of your gesture, whatever it does, will remain etched in his memory. !

If you gift it away, I recommend give it freely with no strings, expectations, pressure or checking up ("hey, are you using that gift I gave you?"). It models unconditional generosity.

At most you might request that if he does let it go (even selling it) that it go to someone whom would appreciate it or who he feels good about giving it to.

Last edited:
There are many for sale now. Sorry for mounting legal bills but I would give it if he wants it, would use it and appreciate it . If not the gesture is moot I guess.

Back
Top Bottom