Death-metal style clip with the 5105/Redwirez

Nolly

Inspired
Hey guys, I just knocked up a quick clip with my new Dæmoness 6-string, which has the new Bare Knuckle Aftermath bridge pickup:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Aftermath DM.mp3

Bear in mind the guitar is tuned to Eb standard!

Using the Axe-FX 5150 model for the amp sim, with Redwire IRs. The bass guitar is a custom McIntyre 5-string (used to belong to James Leach of SikTh), running through the Ampeg SVX plugin.
Drums are Superior 2.0: Metal Foundry for the cymbals and kick, with snare and toms coming from the regular Avatar kit.

Let me know what you guys think!

Oh, and here are some pics of the guitar:

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

how to play that squeel/raking type sound around 30 secs.. gorjira does this alot not really sure how to execute it.

sounds good, which redwire IRs did u use exactly?

They're just upwards harmonic rakes. Try around the 4th fret :)

The main one is the Mesa Recto cab, SM57, 3" cap edge.

how to play that squeel/raking type sound around 30 secs.. gorjira does this alot not really sure how to execute it.

There are actually a couple different ways...the most "typical" way is by using a finger on your left hand to barre (like a barre chord, but only barely touching the strings,) the highest 3 strings right over the 12th fret. (or whatever fret you wish that will produce natural harmonics) Then, rake backwards from the highest string. You're making natural harmonics, which, when using a ton of distortion and "raking" them backward, make that particular sound.

You can also use a whammy pedal, like Dimebag Darrell did in the song "Becoming".

:)

So Nolly what do your think about the bridge on your guitar?

Back when I was going to get a custom 6 string built (changed it to a 7,) I was gonna get one of those. Looks great for palm muting! Also, the builder said that it sounded great when arpeggiating chords because of increased string-to-string definition.

speedyone said:
So Nolly what do your think about the bridge on your guitar?

Back when I was going to get a custom 6 string built (changed it to a 7,) I was gonna get one of those. Looks great for palm muting! Also, the builder said that it sounded great when arpeggiating chords because of increased string-to-string definition.

The Hannes is a complete revelation, I've wanted a guitar with one for more than a year now. It's so comfortable under the palm, but perhaps more importantly really improves the sound of a guitar - you can hear just how different the tone is unplugged, and plugged in it is just so direct and punchy. A lot about the bridge sounds like marketing bullshit but it does actually translate into reality. I love the idea that it's a bridge engineered from the ground up to give optimal performance, rather than to look like what you see on most guitars.

Not bad Nolly, not bad :)

Is the pickup made of alnico V or ceramic? Sounds like a higher alnico output.

And thanks for the comment on the Hannes bridge. I was thinking of installing it in one of the Blackmachines, I will surely do so.

Cheers dudes :cool:

Chronograph said:
Not bad Nolly, not bad :)

Is the pickup made of alnico V or ceramic? Sounds like a higher alnico output.

And thanks for the comment on the Hannes bridge. I was thinking of installing it in one of the Blackmachines, I will surely do so.

It's a ceramic mag, wound at around 15k? DC. Bear in mind this clip is quad tracked so the low end might not sound quite as tight as if you heard each track solo'd.
And yes, the Hannes is awesome, unfortunately very difficult to do a neat job of retro-fitting it to a guitar though.

That's really interesting Nolly. Haven't been able to find the Aftermath on BKP's site. Ceramic is good, it has more clarity and definition than the alnico IMO.

Congrats with the new Daemoness by the way!

Chronograph said:
That's really interesting Nolly. Haven't been able to find the Aftermath on BKP's site. Ceramic is good, it has more clarity and definition than the alnico IMO.

Congrats with the new Daemoness by the way!

Thanks dude!
It doesn't have a pickup description page yet, but it's available in the shop:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/sho ... cPath=1_94

That's just for 6-strings, you'll find it under the 7 and 8-string headings as well :)

hi Nolly,

Great riff, sounds great!

I have a MM John petrucci but I don't like the bridge pickup, it sounds flat to me.
I'm interested in Bare knuckle pups.
What would be a good one, Painkiller or Aftermath for metal / djent style. Hope you can help me.
Thanks!

^^well, the Aftermath would be the best I suppose, since it's developed for just that. The Painkiller has probably less growly mids

Awesome clip, Nolly
sounds superb

Back
Top Bottom