Dear Fractal Audio: A request

spyeman

The product is fantastic, much better than I had expected. I know that a couple of playing buddies, who poo-poo anything non tube will end up buying one after they hear everything the Axe can do. Congrats on your work and your product.

It's not terribly easy to learn how to use it. I think after reading the manual, looking all over the web, asking questions on the forums, looking at the presentations on YouTube, you can get the basics - how to use the presets, adjust them, use the effects, select amps and cabs, etc. But, even that's a bit of a struggle, and I'm reasonably savvy at this kind of stuff, and not scared of it.

Then there's the advanced stuff (or at least advanced for me). How to get an expression pedal going and set up for wah and volume. How to use a filter or whatever to create an automatic wah. How to program a footswitch. In my opinion, the only way to figure this out is to again hunt and peck, beg for answers, etc....I will be buying the MidiMate controller simply because there is a 10 minute tutorial on how to set it up with the Axe

My request/suggestion: Please create your own set of videos that cover a HUGE range of applications. Let us dummies see how it's done - it's really the best (and only?) way to show users how to work advanced topics. It doesn't have to be fancy - just please take the time, put it on your website, index it somehow. Hell I would probably PAY for it. Thanks, and please consider it, it will speed up the enjoyment (and remove lots of frustration) of your great product.

spyeman said:
The product is fantastic, much better than I had expected. I know that a couple of playing buddies, who poo-poo anything non tube will end up buying one after they hear everything the Axe can do. Congrats on your work and your product.

It's not terribly easy to learn how to use it. I think after reading the manual, looking all over the web, asking questions on the forums, looking at the presentations on YouTube, you can get the basics - how to use the presets, adjust them, use the effects, select amps and cabs, etc. But, even that's a bit of a struggle, and I'm reasonably savvy at this kind of stuff, and not scared of it.

Then there's the advanced stuff (or at least advanced for me). How to get an expression pedal going and set up for wah and volume. How to use a filter or whatever to create an automatic wah. How to program a footswitch. In my opinion, the only way to figure this out is to again hunt and peck, beg for answers, etc....I will be buying the MidiMate controller simply because there is a 10 minute tutorial on how to set it up with the Axe

My request/suggestion: Please create your own set of videos that cover a HUGE range of applications. Let us dummies see how it's done - it's really the best (and only?) way to show users how to work advanced topics. It doesn't have to be fancy - just please take the time, put it on your website, index it somehow. Hell I would probably PAY for it. Thanks, and please consider it, it will speed up the enjoyment (and remove lots of frustration) of your great product.

I know it is only one specific example and you were referring to more... but if you spent the same amount of effort the guys at Fractal would have to compiling all that information you could easily find several posts in the MIDI controller section detailing how to setup the various expression pedals available for wah, etc.

In fact due to the difference in expression pedals... Mission Engineering have several variations alone... IMO it would be unreasonable to expect Fractal to document all of that.

However, between the Wiki and here several members have covered a variety of combinations of expression pedal, midi controller, Axe-Fx setups. You just have to work for it. Maybe that's your point you don't want to but I think you'll find that most of here would prefer Fractal spend time giving us more functionality.

Even if you don't want to search you could just make a new post asking about the specific combination you want to try out. Somebody will help you. Somebody will also tell you to search for it but somebody will help you out.

I understand what the OP is saying, some people are a show me once tell me twice or in this case read it twice type of person. Not everyone is real savvy at wading through pages and pages of posts or reading the manuel (god for bid :lol: ) to find out how to assign an expression pedal to do a specific task wether it be Wah, Volume or something real fancy like an explanation of the advanced parameters in the amp block and how they can effect tone. Video tutorials are very relative in todays technology especially with the Axe.

A lot of guys are coming from a simple tube amp and cab maybe with a pedal or two. To have something like the Axe set in front of them could be overwhelming for someone coming from such a simple setup. Setting up a midi board at least until the MFC101 comes along, assigning modifiers and setting up A/I switches can be real frustrating for most and a huge turn off to boot. So a "professionally done" Axe FX video for dummies... no offense intended would be a great idea. I guess it doesn't really have to be a "professionally" done vid ether just as long as it can be followed by a person that doesn't have any skills when it comes to working with this type of technology.

you have my vote, i came from a little simple rig myself, and for me this has been a really good learning experience, but i have to agree with the guys here there are some things i just cant figure out for example i have been having a really hard time with the axe editor and some of the features of the axe it self as far as midi goes i cant wait to get the mfc1 but for the meantime i have my GCP and having " how to " vids would really make me enjoy more my axe, don't get me wrong i love my axe but i kinda feel cheated that i cant really control all the aspects or at least a good sum of it like a lot of the guys here .... so in conclusion love my axe, just trying to learn more on how to use it a lot better.

No doubt it would be useful for many people to have those types of videos. But I don't know if it is really possible for them to be produced. In the example of midi controllers there are two pieces of equipment in play the Axe-FX and the midi controller. Who should make the video?

From the Fractal side they could show you how to go to the page to assign CC#s or expression pedals but that is only half of the equation. Is the expectation that Fractal would also show you how to setup the other side? So one for the LiquidFoot Pro and/or Jr. versions, one for the Gordius units, in my case one for the FX-1, and the others?

On the flip side... the midi controller manufacturers have documentation on how to configure the switches and pedal ports on their product but are they responsible for showing you how to setup the Axe-FX side, the TC G-Force side, the TC G-Major side, Switchblade GL side, or whatever else you want to control with the midi controller?

There is two parts to the equation. I think that is why this forum and others are so great because chances are you can find somebody that has used the combination you want to use and in most cases people are willing to help you out and post how to get things done. You even hear stories of people getting on the phone to help others out.

So no slam to the idea itself. It would be great to have that information but like I said there are two sides to the equation and does one side want to "own" the responsibility to document the other side?

Really, I think this is up to the users. For one, I'm sure they've got plenty going on without having to record walkthroughs of how to use all the features. Secondly, the Axe-FX is simply a complex piece of gear, and that naturally comes with a huge amount of learning for anyone who wants to tackle these more advanced features without prior experience of similar things. Anyone buying it should already be well aware of it before they do so, and what they're getting themselves into.

This is why we have the forum and the wiki, and some users have put little help guides up on Youtube before (I used the MidiMate one back when I got it). Yes it'd be nice if we could have "official" help, but it's really not their problem. They've told us what everything does in the manual (and we also get direct input on queries here on the forum), but it's up to us to figure out what to do with it. And that's the great thing about the Axe. There are so many possibilities with it. Take the "violin" sound someone created using the synth block. From memory, even Cliff was rather surprised when that first got posted here. To get anywhere near explaining what the Axe can potentially do would take an absurd number of videos or articles, and no doubt there are still many things in there that even Cliff himself hasn't thought of doing with it.

Things like setting up controllers and whatnot, is often going to largely depend on what gear you're using. Setting up a MidiMate is going to be a different affair to setting up a GCP, which will be different to setting up an FX-1, or whatever. They could do clip after clip showing how to set up every single possible controller out there, but the manual, forum and wiki are all quite capable of explaining the Axe side of things, and it's up to each manufacturer to explain how to use their MIDI controller.

When it comes down to it, a few busy guys at FAS, or the entire Axe-FX user community (including many VERY savvy users)... who do you think has a greater potential to create an in depth help system like this? My vote would easily go to the Axe community. Cliff might understand the inner workings of the unit better than anyone, but he's also just one guy, with his way of thinking and doing things. How many users are there who have plenty of experience with the unit, who frequently gig with it, who've created all kinds of whacky noises with it, all with their own different set ups, tastes and ways of approaching things, etc.? Again, the violin thing... I never even would have considered that it was possible to do that with the synth block, but obviously someone else DID think to try it. We're in a much better position than FAS to be able to get anywhere near covering the huge number of features and possiblities in the unit.

Whether or not we get off our arses and actually do it is again, not FAS' problem.

I don't like technical instructional videos for musical products. If the videos are to cover everything in detail, they have to be *very* long. Finding the exact information I need is time consuming and frustrating. They are always slow-paced. They drive me nuts :evil:

I've always preferred a complete, detailed, well-organized, and well-written manual instead of a video. I'm currently employed as a technical writer for an Air Force contractor. The operations manuals and technical orders for the equipment my company makes are extremely detailed. Nothing is omitted. Every aspect of every software or hardware parameter is discussed. The documents have to be written this way or we will lose our contracts. The manuals are also VERY BIG (sometimes several volumes) and expensive to create. But I've become accustomed to this level of detail.

This is a weak point (perhaps the only one) for Fractal in my opinion. Before I bought the Axe, I read the manual cover to cover several times and could not find the answers to many questions I had about the Axe's capabilities. I still have to employ trial and error for certain operations not adequately discussed in the manual. Although I think the manual is good (so many others are so much worse), I also think it could be much better.

On the other hand, Fractal would have to pay someone to spend considerable time updating it (a constant process). It would be much bigger (Eventides come with two huge manuals) than it is now. Most users would probably not read all of it. The people who need the more advanced features can usually figure them out on their own. We have the forum and technical support for assistance. And I'm sure everyone at Fractal is very busy with important tasks.

Bottom line, if Fractal ever decided to invest the resources required for such videos, I'd prefer they instead direct those resources towards an improved manual. I vote no.

I'm kind of surprised no third party has done one yet, I think it could be very useful for people who don't like manuals, reading wiki, etc. I just spent a couple hours showing the Axe to a friend and he asked the same question, if videos were available, so it could be a good opportunity for either Fractal, or someone else to do and sell for a fair price, in my opinion.

I agree with the OP. Although there is no "one right way" to do things I still find myself learning pretty basic stuff and I've had it for over half a year and I use it daily. :?

My tip would be "less is more". One amp block and one cab gets me where I need to be. Don't be afraid to change things in the amp settings. Advanced settings aren't needed for great guitar tones but sure you can wank all you want.

I have used processors for 20 years and more. But I find that this forum is better than any video could ever be. You ask and you get answers.
Works great for me. I do understand the OP though. It's hard to imagine the kind of help you get here until you really experience it-Like most of us Have!

Wow cool thread you ask one question and get very different answers.

My post was leaning towards the third party video maker, one that really understands the Axe and the various midi pedals not only from the basics but from the technical stand points as well. Keep it short and simple and one topic at a time, this way you can chapter topics and find them a lot easer. Then you could have other volumes expanding on how to's that combine different operations, linking multiple modifiers, morphing, different Midi controllers... etc. It seems that it's not for some and as I have posted some learn quicker at watching how to do something rather than reading how to do it.

Case and point... for me the manuel for the GCP does not read very well in some sections and I spent hours trying to figure out how to assign the midi channels for the A/I switches and the expression pedals. for some that really know there way around the GCP this would seem that I don't have a clue as how to read. For me the manuel was very vague on this subject. Had I seen a vid on how to do it it would have saved me hours of frustration on something, (now that I know how to) that was very simple to do and takes literally seconds to accomplish, I would have payed 15-20 dollars to see how to do this and have it on file if I ever forget how to do it. This is the frustration that I believe the OP is talking about.

You could have a whole vid just dedicated to advanced amp parameters and their operations and explanations alone all chaptered out. I look at it like this, not everyone has a background in electronics or is an amp designer and I would think it would help to have someone explain this section that has this knowledge to those that don't in able for them to be somewhat coherent in changing these parameters effectively. It's one thing to blindly tune in this area and it's another to know why or how come you would want to. When you apply this to all of the aspects of the Axe one can see that there is a need for something like this for those that are not as savvy as others with much more experience with programing a processor of this magnitude.

How about a live weekend workshop? As long as it was well structured and didn't turn into a free-for-all. May need longer than 2-3 days though, but could be broken into different levels.

A long time ago I used to be a UNIX Administrator and programmer. A lot of computer companies run intensive and structured workshops/labs, complete with manuals and hands on exercises. The Sun Microsystems courses are a good example.

I'd fly to the US for something like that. Would be something different and unique, and a good way to meet like minded Fractal Heads and swap info and tips.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom