Dear Focusrite Scarlett Users: I don't know why, but Thunderbolt doesn't like me.

zappafranco

Inspired
  • If any Scarlett 18i20 owner reads this. I would like to connect the USB C Port from my Scarlett 18i20 3d gen with the Thunderbolt 3 Port of my Mac.
    According to Focusrite this should be possible because Thunderbolt 3 is USB C and the Thunderbolt 3 port can understand USB 2.0 data.
So using the Thunderbolt 3 Port will not make the Scarlett faster or bring less latency, but it should be possible. And it would be really nice, because all my USB Ports are connected with other equipment like for example the AxeFX3 etc. But it doesn't work. I purchased an original Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable, but the Scarlett doesn't connect with my Mac. On the other hand if I use one of my four USB Ports the Scarlett connects without problem. That was the short version of my problem. Now comes the long version:
So I purchased recently the Scarlett 18i20 to record my Axefx3 via SPDIF. I had one problem with the loopback output which I could solve today thanks to the great members of this amazing forum. Before the USB-Scarlett I tested some quite expensive Thunderbolt Interfaces from Motu and Apogee. I had them for just a few hours just to send them back to Thomann. I am normally not a try-out-and-then-send-everything-back-kind-of-guy, but the thing is that on my iMac 2017/Big Sur with two thunderbolt 3 ports those interfaces were never recognized. As a fun fact I might add that before that I was messing around with some thunderbolt 3 docks on my Mac and they also never worked:oops:
On the other hand I have an old Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock which is connected via Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter with my Mac and this Dock works! I got for example an USB Hard Disk connected to the Dock and the Disk is always mounted as it should be.
I don't understand why Thunderbolt doesn't like me. At least it seems that the Scarlett 18i20 is more than enough for what I am doing. Just if I wouldn't run out of USB Ports... So being able to use the Thunderbolt Port for my dear Scarlett :) would be really nice.

I just wonder if there is something the scarlet doesn't like when you are using the thunderbolt cable... have you tried a usb-c to usb-c cable? I've experienced issues with some devices similar to what you are experiencing and it boiled down to the cable. I've got a bunch of usb-a to usb-c adapters I use for connecting usb 2/3 devices and those always seem to work great with my thunderbolt 3 ports.

As far as I know, Scarlett 18i20 is a USB device, with a USB-C socket. Using a Thunderbolt cable won’t make it work on a Thunderbolt bus.

The Thunderbolt dock provides USB as well, that’s why your hard disk works.

Ummm... I have the 18i20 3rd gen, and plug it right into one of the TB3 ports on my Mac Mini. Works perfectly without issue.

I would consider contacting Focusrite, because that should work without a hitch.

Not sure about the mac mini TB3 working ok, but the Scarlett 18i20 is indeed a USB 2.0 device. The USB 3.0 type C connector doesn't make it a thunderbolt device, and neither does it make it a USB 3.0 speed, so your connection needs to be USB 2.0 compatible. THe manual states that it is USB 2.0 over a USB C connection/connector. You can use the near zero latency monitoring available on the unit (eg no effects), but it's not going to get you to thunderbolt 2.0 or TB 3.0 low latencies for the round trip.

I use a Focusrite Clarett 4pre Thunderbolt device, which does provide the higher speed interface and lower latencies. I've also just installed a Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen and Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic. Even though its connected with USB 3.0 interface, it's clearly running at USB 2.0 data rates, and therefore USB 2.0 data rates. It is possible to reduce the buffer size to get lower latency but the round trip with effects is edging up to noticeable delay. A post above talks about "latest firmware" but as far as I am aware, the only updates are for Focusrite Control, which is software not firmware.

So your trouble isn't really a Thunderbolt issue at all, but that the device is a USB 2.0 device.

[as an aside about low latency solutions...]
My studio setup, however, is based around DANTE networking using the Focusrite PCIeR interface (seen as an ASIO device). I connect the AxeFX III using an AVIO AES to Dante interface from Audinate, and my Yamaha 01v96 mixer has a DANTE card in it as well. With this setup there is virtually no latency, and I have 128x128 channels (24 bit @ 48Khz) into/out of my DAW

I've also just installed a Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen A post above talks about "latest firmware" but as far as I am aware, the only updates are for Focusrite Control, which is software not firmware.

The updates can contain both Focusrite Control and Firmware when applicable. You can check your latest Firmware version within Focusrite Control.

Latest update is optimized for both M1 Macs AND Big Sur. I'm running an Intel MBP on Catalina, have the latest FW and it's running smoothly.

Thank you very much for all the good advice! I have installed the latest Focusrite M1 Firmware. As rossipedia said it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. It is interesting for me that he confirms that in his case it works! But as I have told you I got the impression that my Thunderbolts are really F****D UP. They almost never worked on my Mac. Maybe it's just bad luck and somehow I got a specific iMac Model with almost unusable Thunderbolt Ports.
There is a procedure to reset Thunderbolt Ports on the Mac.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
My iMac has no T2 Chip. So I followed the instructions for those Macs, but it still doesn't work.

Last edited:
Are you using the provided USB-C to USB-C cable? I’m using it with my Clarett and works like a charm on my Mac Mini (Intel), of course using the USB bus.

Does your thunderbolt station have it's own power source. I fought my thunderbolt station that did not have power for a year. The display would get flakey. Two of the USB ports never worked right. Then I bought one with power and that seemed to fix my issues.

Back
Top Bottom