Dear Cliff

jiagap

Inspired
I have not been on the forum as much lately so I may have missed future project ideas. For what it might be worth, I wanted to throw out feelers. I have loved my AX8 immensely. I started with Fractal with the Ultra, loved it, but loved the simplicity and portability and improvements of the AX8 even more and have been using it since it came out. I need one simple floor device with several buttons. When I saw the AX8 was being abandoned and the FM3 was the new thing, I was not too tempted as I like the simplicity of easy access to 8 buttons to control effects. I am not smart or talented enough to dance and navigate the FM3 in a live situation.

After I saw the AX8 abandoned I bought a Helix for a short time. I returned it because It did not have as good of tone as my AX8. I considered the Quad Cortex but the build looks less rugged as the AX8. But now I see Fractal is still improving tones for their newer models with better software upgrades, and I am feeling I am missing out. However, I am not willing to add on an FC-12 or FC-6 making moving around and set up more complicated.

All that to say, I think you are a genius, I have loved the products I have purchased, have loved the forum, and wondering if a powerful all-in-one floor model with more footswitches than the FM3 is in the works? I would buy one in a heartbeat. I loved the layout of the HELIX with the expression pedal all-in-one. Maybe others don't, that is fine. So, for what it is worth, I am a happy customer hoping you may be working on something like this in the future - a powerful all-in-one floor unit with an expression pedal and with at least as many foot switches as the AX8. For the record, I have never had one issue with my AX8 - built like a tank! I just want the newer firmware updates which my AX8 cannot contain .........

cheers!

This has been asked many, many times. Many of the responses, including mine are that the FM3 3 Buttons perform many, many functions. I also started with the ultra and graduated thru ALL except the III. I loved my Ax8 very much and I was hesitant with the FM3.
I did finally buy it and I will never look back. I do not miss the 8 buttons at all.
I also know I could sell my FM3 very easily if something else Fractal floor model came out that enticed me.
In all honesty, 8 buttons would be it for me.
If buttons were the issue for me I would have an FC-6.

I have not been on the forum as much lately so I may have missed future project ideas. For what it might be worth, I wanted to throw out feelers. I have loved my AX8 immensely. I started with Fractal with the Ultra, loved it, but loved the simplicity and portability and improvements of the AX8 even more and have been using it since it came out. I need one simple floor device with several buttons. When I saw the AX8 was being abandoned and the FM3 was the new thing, I was not too tempted as I like the simplicity of easy access to 8 buttons to control effects. I am not smart or talented enough to dance and navigate the FM3 in a live situation.

After I saw the AX8 abandoned I bought a Helix for a short time. I returned it because It did not have as good of tone as my AX8. I considered the Quad Cortex but the build looks less rugged as the AX8. But now I see Fractal is still improving tones for their newer models with better software upgrades, and I am feeling I am missing out. However, I am not willing to add on an FC-12 or FC-6 making moving around and set up more complicated.

All that to say, I think you are a genius, I have loved the products I have purchased, have loved the forum, and wondering if a powerful all-in-one floor model with more footswitches than the FM3 is in the works? I would buy one in a heartbeat. I loved the layout of the HELIX with the expression pedal all-in-one. Maybe others don't, that is fine. So, for what it is worth, I am a happy customer hoping you may be working on something like this in the future - a powerful all-in-one floor unit with an expression pedal and with at least as many foot switches as the AX8. For the record, I have never had one issue with my AX8 - built like a tank! I just want the newer firmware updates which my AX8 cannot contain .........

cheers!
Is it really that big of a deal to just use an FM3 with an FC6? My opinion, which may be wrong, is that FAS is not going to build this unit because it wouldn't advance the state-of-the-art, but instead only steal sales from other items, already being made.

I gigged with the AX8 for several years and loved it. Sold it to fund an FM3+FC6 combo and never looked back.

At the cost of hooking up one cable, the modular setup gives you the option of taking less when you need less. The pair fit in the same bag that I used for the AX8, and don’t feel heavier to carry.

Last edited:
I too started with an AX8. Tried some of the competition and they're simply not as good

Long story but I now have a III and an FM3 with an FC6 for both units.

I really feel I have everything I need. For all the bells and whistles I have the III with the FC6, for simplicity I have the FM3 on it's own. And for the perfect balance I have the FM3 on a cab behind me with the FC6 and an EV1 on a little board in front

Just a perfect set of options and I cannot recommend switching to the FM3 - It's super impressive what you can do with the 3x buttons on their own. Remember you can have have four functions out of each switch

Long long time Fractal user here. I had an AX8 and made the upgrade to the FM3 as soon as the waiting list started.
I also own the III and an FC-6.
The FM3 is quite a bit more complicated than the AX8. There are just so many more things you can do, and worry about in the back of my mind.
Fortunately for me, our church still has 2 AX8's and my son has one as well.
I borrowed one and have been using that for the past month. I am so comfortable with it. Never had any worries about performance of the unit.
For me, having one piece of gear I can set on the floor and go, that is really nice.
Also for the record, I do/did all the software backups and upgrades on all 4 of those AX8's.
Never ever once had any problem with any of them!
The tones are still great out of the AX8's too!
I have an upcoming gig. I will be using the trusty AX8! :)

Thanks for this post, for your appreciation of our products and our company, and your kind compliments.

To add perspective, I remember when our sales team received many many emails complaining that the AX8 was "too big".

Now, we've adopted a modular approach. I believe that the FM3 -- even with an FC6 -- is still really easy to set up and travel with. One XLR cable connects the two units, and you don't need a mounted floorboard at all to enjoy great stability. Some makers are even already producing small bags or backpacks that can hold both units.

In any case, keep enjoying your AX8! I used one last week and still love it.

--
M@

Last edited:
I hear ya. I love my Axe FX 3 to death, and I've been using an AX8 for live... and because of pandemic, I saw no need on the FM3 for the time being. Now, dates are coming in, and I just sat here dialing my AX8 for some shows this week, and I totally miss some of the new effects of the newer units... so I'm faced with the same. Sell my AX8, buy FM3+FC6, or just continue with life, haha.

I'm still in the camp that keeps the AX8 for live. I'll keep playing it until Fractal makes a floor unit with more buttons, or someone catches up to Fractal in audio quality and price in a floor unit. I don't see what the big problem is really, what's so hard about taking the FM3 and putting it in a bigger box with more switches? I mean I'm sure there's a reason, but when Line 6 were put to the same question they made the Stomp XL. As I recall, they said it was so easy to do that if people wanted it, then why not.

I use my FM3 with a Harley Benton MP-100 ( relabeled Meloaudio Midi Commander) and it works fine.
Using the HB for switching scenes and cycling presets and Tap-Tempo. Other stuff I do with the 3 FM3 switches. (Effect, Looper,....)
In addition I have an Expression Pedal to control Wah or Volume and with Heel down activating Tuner.

So I think it is a good compomise using FM3 and not want to have a secons device same size.
Even it is less expensive if you are OK with the less features and missing displays.

fm3 is fantastic due to flexibility..lot of players use only three sounds with some variations and ax8 format could be too much..others need a the edge sound style and need lots of buttons..as said if you re this second type of player buy the fc6 or 12..

I use my FM3 with a Harley Benton MP-100 ( relabeled Meloaudio Midi Commander) and it works fine.
Using the HB for switching scenes and cycling presets and Tap-Tempo. Other stuff I do with the 3 FM3 switches. (Effect, Looper,....)
In addition I have an Expression Pedal to control Wah or Volume and with Heel down activating Tuner.

So I think it is a good compomise using FM3 and not want to have a secons device same size.
Even it is less expensive if you are OK with the less features and missing displays.
Hi, could help me how do you assign HB? Do you have 8 scenes?

Thanks for this post, for your appreciation of our products and our company, and your kind compliments.

To add perspective, I remember when our sales team received many many emails complaining that the AX8 was "too big".

Now, we've adopted a modular approach. I believe that the FM3 -- even with an FC6 -- is still really easy to set up and travel with. One XLR cable connects the two units, and you don't need a mounted floorboard at all to enjoy great stability. Some makers are even already producing small bags or backpacks that can hold both units.

In any case, keep enjoying your AX8! I used one last week and still love it.

--
M@
Ok..Who said that the AX8 is too big? :) I’m still on the hopeful list, of a new floor based unit that’s equal the power of the AX3.. Keeping the faith..

fm3 is fantastic due to flexibility..lot of players use only three sounds with some variations and ax8 format could be too much..others need a the edge sound style and need lots of buttons..as said if you re this second type of player buy the fc6 or 12..
Most owners of a Bugatti only go up to 120mph..

Back
Top Bottom