Dear Cliff, USA Lead model needs your love and attention

Arsha.M.P

Dear Fractal Family

I've been using Fractal AX8 for about two years. It's a great product and I love it. But what I love most about Fractal is the passion for improvement. So here's the thing. After two years of tweaking, I think there's something wrong with the modeling of Mesa Mark IV (especially when the FAT switch is engaged). When I think about Mark IV sound, the only thing that comes to my mind is Lamb of god's guitar tone in SACRAMENT album. They captured the magic in that album.
I chose 4 sections of their guitar stems for you to listen that reveal different characteristics of this amp. There's no way to achieve these characteristics with Fractal's models. What I noticed in their tone: tight and powerful low end. The high mid is not harsh. Sweet harmonics and saturation. Solid low mid and midrange. when they play single notes on lower strings the notes poke and cut through.

If you want to test this, here are: (links in attachments)
  • Mark Morton's settings on sacrament album (for me the interesting part is presence at 10 and Pull shift)
  • Original DI track + Amp track of the song Redneck
In theory if you set up the mark IV and Fractal and then use the same power amp and cab the result should have similar behavior and character. If you have the Telegram App, message me your number and I will send you the files.

All The Best.

attachments

Stem File (sacrament guitar tone) :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/juh5ksc866tjv1n/Lamb of god - Sacrament - guitar tone.wav?dl=0

DI + Amp tracks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89e8bxhn4ncmf6g/DI and Amp.rar?dl=0

Mark Morton's settings:

mark sacrament.jpg

is it possible that have post process?
Yes. but I don't think post processing has huge impact on the character of the amp. if you listen to the DI+Amp file, the amp track is without post processing. It's almost the same. maybe a touch of compression and cutting the harsh frequencies in the high mids (that to my ears doesn't sound too harsh compared to the fractal model)

Last edited:
You're aware the AX8 Wishes & Bugs forum has been closed and the AX8 has been discontinued ? Don't expect anything to happen. Not saying it's impossible, though.

You're aware the AX8 Wishes & Bugs forum has been closed and the AX8 has been discontinued ? Don't expect anything to happen. Not saying it's impossible, though.
Yeah. But I'm addressing the modeling of Mark IV in general. I "hope" AX8 users get another firmware update, because I love this unit and I'm not going to sell it :)

Back
Top Bottom