Dean DeLeo and Stone Temple Pilots

Ventanaman

Inspired
I am a Dean DeLeo junkie and have been asked about my live tones for STP. I posted these in another thread, but thought they may be useful here as well. I found the guitar-less backing tracks on the Interwebs.

Here is a one-take recording of Crackerman. All of the guitars are AxeFx: the left channel is my DeLeo BE patch, the right channel is my STP Morgan patch with a boost in front, and the lead (one take with clams) is my DeLeo Autowah patch. I think it's close - certainly as close as Dean gets in live shows.

And here is Interstate Love Song with my Morgan patch - double-tracked. Dean recorded it with a Tele, and I used an EBMM Axis, so there will be a difference. Everything is AxeFx except for the acoustic guitar in the intro:

I hope is it satisfactory.

Last edited:
Nice! The Crakerman tone seems to lack just a wee bit of top end compared to the original, IMHO. For ILS you nailed that opening rhythm distorted tone!!

I am a Dean DeLeo junkie and have been asked about my live tones for STP. I posted these in another thread, but thought they may be useful here as well. I found the guitar-less backing tracks on the Interwebs.

Here is a one-take recording of Crackerman. All of the guitars are AxeFx: the left channel is my DeLeo BE patch, the right channel is my STP Morgan patch with a boost in front, and the lead (one take with clams) is my DeLeo Autowah patch. I think it's close - certainly as close as Dean gets in live shows.

And here is Interstate Love Song with my Morgan patch - double-tracked. Dean recorded it with a Tele, and I used an EBMM Axis, so there will be a difference. Everything is AxeFx except for the acoustic guitar in the intro:

I hope is it satisfactory.

Ok... Sounds good. But, I don't hear the clean chime in the mix. Its missing the AC30 bright tone blended with the dirty grit of a TGP-3.

Back
Top Bottom