Dealing with coil splits on the AX8

SteveD61

Inspired
I just checked the DC resistance of the pickups on my PRS and the results are for each blade position:

Front 8.4K Humbucker, 4.2K Split
Middle 4.4K Humbucker, 2.2K split
Rear 9.2K Humbucker, 4.6K split

Interested to hear different ways you guys deal with these sorts of variations. In the past I've used different presets or scenes for different guitars with humbuckers or single coils, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler way? Maybe just adding a boost?

Specifically with coil splitting, I don't have a problem with volume differences that I don't also account for with wanting a single coil tone in the first place. Yes, some overdrive drops out, but for me that's part of the point of going to single coil mode.

I would think a compressor would help your situation. Adding an overdrive might help. I don't find over all volume to be a problem though.

Resistance readings aside, I let my ears tell me what is going on. And compensating in these ways would diminish or eliminate my desire to go to single coil mode.

I will say that when I go from guitar to guitar, some presets don't sound as good. So between my Strat and my humbucker guitars I pretty much use different presets. But when it's the same pickup only split, I don't usually have a problem.

Of course, your results may vary. It all depends on why you're going to singles in the first place.

Good luck.

I used to use a couple of external pedals with my AX8 including a TC Electronics Spark boost. I would use that when I switched between humbucker and strat. The boost level, however, varied depending on the preset, so I went back to just changing the input pad. When I play my Charvel with a coil split, I am looking for those volume differences so I don't see it as a problem. If I did, I would use a Null Filter boost to level things out.

"how would you handle this with a regular amp?"

With a regular amp I'd have to change amp channels or step on a boost pedal or something similar to made it work, but the AX8 can do a lot more than a regular amp.

"I don't have a problem with volume differences"

I'm more concerned how it might affect the mix out front, because I can't tell how the guitar sits once we're playing - only at soundcheck. It would only be about 3 dB or so difference but at gig volumes that could be significant. Sure the sound guy could move a slider, but sometimes we don't have one.

What I'm thinking is to put a 3 dB boost (or whatever my ears tell me is right) using the input trim in the amp block and attach it to a "Control switch" controller and put that on a footswitch. Just ties up a footswitch that could be used for something else.

"so I went back to just changing the input pad"

I thought that had no effect on volume levels?

"It all depends on why you're going to singles in the first place."

We play a wide range of songs and some really need a clean front pickup sound

Last edited:
When playing live I use a Music Man Axis Supersport and have this very problem. My work round with the AX8 is to use a compressor on my clean sounds to even out the volume difference. It works really well. On overdrive the compressor is off as I like the variation when I’m on the coil splits. On my main crunch, heavy crunch and lead scenes on coil splits it just drops the gain, (volume stays the same) great for stones type riffs etc. If I need more I just step on my drive for that scene.

With a regular amp I'd have to change amp channels or step on a boost pedal or something similar to made it work...
I think you're onto something here. You can do those things with the AX8. In fact, Input Trim makes a very effective boost, as long as you want your preset to be dialed in exactly the same for single coils as for humbuckers. If not, there's no harm in crafting a different preset for single-coil sounds.

Back
Top Bottom