Deadpool’s FM9 Review

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
Ok. Initial review: Holy ****. I’m in love.

I wired up and fired up the pictured rig. I’m running an XLR to TS cable from Output 1 L to the 6L6’s FX return and Output 1 R to the Stealth’s FX return. The I disabled cabinet modeling and left power amp modeling on.

I haven’t even connected it to FM9 edit yet (in fact I haven’t even installed that yet, oops). All I’ve done so far is start going through factory presets (some but not all of the scenes in each preset). I think every preset I tried (only up to 27 so far) is usable depending on what you’re playing. that’s super cool imo.

Running this through the EVH FX loops is stupid good. The setup is dead quiet. Seriously no hum, no hiss. I love playing through a real tube power amp and cab. With my old AxeFX II I tried a solid state power amp into real cabs and it just wast quite the same. With that said when I play my FM3 (loud) through the HS7s it’s also exceptional. I haven’t used the FM9 through them yet but obviously it’ll sound just as awesome. But going through the amp FX loops and real cabs just blows me away. I’m not sure I could ask for a better rig for what I want.

Interestingly I have yet to get into any dual amp presets. The ability to run dual amps is a big reason I wanted this unit to exist so I’m excited to do so. Right out of the box though I’m feeling like my initial impression from when it was announced—that the FM9 would be absolutely perfect for me—was spot on.

9EFBF150-BB1A-4EAB-9AE4-0F625F2F8FB3.jpeg

F592C760-64DD-47FA-AD06-E132EEE0969F.jpeg

Curious, why would you leave the power amp modeling on? You’re already going through a real tube power amp.
I can't speak for @Deadpool_25, but there are reasons you might want to leave the power-amp modeling running:

1) The real magic in a tube power amp comes when you're driving it into nonlinearity, and that means at or near maximum volume. Looking at his amps, I'm guessing he's not pushing them anywhere close to full volume at home. Enter Fractal's power-amp modeling.

2) Sometimes, it just sounds better when it's left on.

Curious, why would you leave the power amp modeling on? You’re already going through a real tube power amp.
I can't speak for @Deadpool_25, but there are reasons you might want to leave the power-amp modeling running:

1) The real magic in a tube power amp comes when you're driving it into nonlinearity, and that means at or near maximum volume. Looking at his amps, I'm guessing he's not pushing them anywhere close to full volume at home. Enter Fractal's power-amp modeling.

2) Sometimes, it just sounds better when it's left on.

Yeah, that. Especially the 2nd one. I haven’t been tweaking at all yet. I’m just going through factory presets. With the FM3 I found I liked to turn sag down to 0.01 on many amp models when going through an FX loop so I may eventually do something similar with the 9 (although they changed something…it’s not just the sag thing anymore right?).

Edit: Also, into the returns of the EVHs they’re wide open—none of the volume controls have any effect. Volume must be controlled with the Output 1 knob. I didn’t mess with the presence and resonance controls but those should still be active.

As much as I like my AX8 through my monitors and FRFR speakers I've never considered trying to run through my Boogie's FX return into my cab (I wasn't aware that running through the FX return was an option but it makes perfect sense as I've plugged acoustic guitars through the FX return bypassing the front end preamp with great results).

I didn't get on the list until 8-28 so I'm sure I've got some significant wait time yet. I was also curious as to what kind of speakers your are running in your cabs as well?...I use EV's in my 4x12 and have always loved them for the Boogie.

Thanks for the information and have fun!

As much as I like my AX8 through my monitors and FRFR speakers I've never considered trying to run through my Boogie's FX return into my cab (I wasn't aware that running through the FX return was an option but it makes perfect sense as I've plugged acoustic guitars through the FX return bypassing the front end preamp with great results).

I didn't get on the list until 8-28 so I'm sure I've got some significant wait time yet. I was also curious as to what kind of speakers your are running in your cabs as well?...I use EV's in my 4x12 and have always loved them for the Boogie.

Thanks for the information and have fun!
Hi. My cabs have a mix. One V30 and one Creamback 75. Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long!

You have a couple of really nice rigs there! Any plans to add any expression pedals the FM9 rig?
Actually I pulled the expression pedals off the FM3 board and put them on the floor next to the FM9. I’m just playing at home so I really only need one rig. Right now that’s the FM9 through both amps. I’m starting to look at the FM3 as potentially expendable. I love it but I’m not sure why I’d ever use that + FC6 over the FM9. I may just sell the whole FM3 rig, pedalboard and all.

Maybe.

Actually I pulled the expression pedals off the FM3 board and put them on the floor next to the FM9. I’m just playing at home so I really only need one rig. Right now that’s the FM9 through both amps. I’m starting to look at the FM3 as potentially expendable. I love it but I’m not sure why I’d ever use that + FC6 over the FM9. I may just sell the whole FM3 rig, pedalboard and all.

Maybe.
Well you have the backup rig covered Ha! I have been playing with the idea of adding an a tube amp as a backup. I have been looking at the REVV D20 or the Suhr PT15 I/R just because of the Reactive load and I/R capabilities. The money difference between these two is crazy but as far as I know they are the only ones with a reactive load system built in.

Well you have the backup rig covered Ha! I have been playing with the idea of adding an a tube amp as a backup. I have been looking at the REVV D20 or the Suhr PT15 I/R just because of the Reactive load and I/R capabilities. The money difference between these two is crazy but as far as I know they are the only ones with a reactive load system built in.
Mesa Badlander has one too. And the Diezel VHX I think. :)

But I’d say just get a good separate one (I have a Suhr RLIR; never use it if you’re interested) and use whatever amp you already have and like.

Ok. Initial review: Holy ****. I’m in love.

I wired up and fired up the pictured rig. I’m running an XLR to TS cable from Output 1 L to the 6L6’s FX return and Output 1 R to the Stealth’s FX return. The I disabled cabinet modeling and left power amp modeling on.

I haven’t even connected it to FM9 edit yet (in fact I haven’t even installed that yet, oops). All I’ve done so far is start going through factory presets (some but not all of the scenes in each preset). I think every preset I tried (only up to 27 so far) is usable depending on what you’re playing. that’s super cool imo.

Running this through the EVH FX loops is stupid good. The setup is dead quiet. Seriously no hum, no hiss. I love playing through a real tube power amp and cab. With my old AxeFX II I tried a solid state power amp into real cabs and it just wast quite the same. With that said when I play my FM3 (loud) through the HS7s it’s also exceptional. I haven’t used the FM9 through them yet but obviously it’ll sound just as awesome. But going through the amp FX loops and real cabs just blows me away. I’m not sure I could ask for a better rig for what I want.

Interestingly I have yet to get into any dual amp presets. The ability to run dual amps is a big reason I wanted this unit to exist so I’m excited to do so. Right out of the box though I’m feeling like my initial impression from when it was announced—that the FM9 would be absolutely perfect for me—was spot on.

View attachment 88933

View attachment 88934
Good review. Great
look of your FM 3 and FC 6 😎 is this a mod? Seems like the knobs have been changed and something like a white cover on it?

Back
Top Bottom