Deadpool’s FM3 Review

Almost a year later and I still love my FM3. There are literally three things I’d add which would make it moreperfecter:
1. Dual amp capability
2. Steel String Singer type model
3. Klon or Klone model

(You can kinda dial in number 2 and 3 as is but still...)

With all that said, amp GAS still got me. I have a dual 5153 50w rig (Stealth + EL34) that has been very fun as well.

Almost a year later and I still love my FM3. There are literally three things I’d add which would make it moreperfecter:
1. Dual amp capability
3. Klon or Klone model

With all that said, amp GAS still got me. I have a dual 5153 50w rig (Stealth + EL34) that has been very fun as well.
Do you have a III? If so, have you been using presets with dual amps? And if so, do you hear major improvements over presets with a single amp?

I have a III but have never built a preset with two amps. There are some that came from the factory that I like (i.e. Jim and Leo) but I like the Jim or Leo preset on the FM3 as well.

No I've never had a III. I had a II XL+ but sold it a little before the III was released. I did run dual amps on the II though. I honestly came to the forum today because I am considering just getting another FM3 to accomplish the task. Maybe crazy....idk

Great review and update, @Deadpool_25. Thanks.

I should be receiving an FM3 this week, if shipping goes as planned. Really looking forward to it.

Have you been using the FM3 in 4cm with your 5153 much? If so, how do you like it for that?

That's my main intended use for it, with my Mesa amps. But I am definitely excited about trying out the modelling, too.

(I just returned a Helix floor and I currently have an HXFX + some pedals.)

1. Dual amp capability
3. Klon or Klone model

#1 isn't likely as it's a hardware limitation. It's always possible Cliff will have a breakthrough with a more efficient algorithm freeing CPU cycles to add an additional amp block but they probably went over the existing code carefully many times already. If they added a bigger CPU it wouldn't be an FM3 so we're probably stuck with that design choice.

#3 is probably a non-starter too. The forum discussions about that particular pedal hint at some major disruptions in the force that occurred long ago and far-far away.

That leaves #2. There might not be an example available for Cliff to poke and prod, or he might feel it can be easily imitated using a different D-type amp. Or, he might be wanting additional encouragement though it's been put into the wish list many times.

These are of interest...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/more-two-rock-amps.160728/post-2041810
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...up-against-the-real-thing.157199/post-1873271
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/kemper-to-axe-fx-3.160307/post-1921994

...among others.

#1 isn't likely as it's a hardware limitation. It's always possible Cliff will have a breakthrough with a more efficient algorithm freeing CPU cycles to add an additional amp block but they probably went over the existing code carefully many times already. If they added a bigger CPU it wouldn't be an FM3 so we're probably stuck with that design choice.

#3 is probably a non-starter too. The forum discussions about that particular pedal hint at some major disruptions in the force that occurred long ago and far-far away.

That leaves #2. There might not be an example available for Cliff to poke and prod, or he might feel it can be easily imitated using a different D-type amp. Or, he might be wanting additional encouragement though it's been put into the wish list many times.

These are of interest...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/more-two-rock-amps.160728/post-2041810
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...up-against-the-real-thing.157199/post-1873271
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/kemper-to-axe-fx-3.160307/post-1921994

...among others.

The dual amp thing is really just me wanting an AxeFX III Floor model :)

I should be receiving an FM3 this week, if shipping goes as planned. Really looking forward to it.

Have you been using the FM3 in 4cm with your 5153 much? If so, how do you like it for that?

That's my main intended use for it, with my Mesa amps. But I am definitely excited about trying out the modelling, too.

I haven’t really been using it in 4CM. An early test of it straight into the fx loops made me feel like any tones I could get from my amps I could get from the FM3. That was with different amps but I’d guess it’s still true. I still plan on trying 4CM anyway though.

I'm with you on that. It'd be swell, but I'd want it to only have six switches (with closer vertical spacing to keep the same footprint) so if we add an FC-6 we're up to FC-12 territory.

I’d be totally fine with it having an FC-12 footprint. As I’ve said elsewhere...insta-purchase lol

I just set it up in 4CM with the Stealth. It’s awesome. No noise issues at all, and easy to setup using Leon’s video as a guide (although I am using an XLR to TS cable as recommended in the manual; Leon used an XLR to TRS which is specifically recommended against in the manual lol).

Works like it should. I even setup two presets like Leon did. One to use the amp, another using FM3 amp models. Again, no issues.

I just set it up in 4CM with the Stealth. It’s awesome. No noise issues at all, and easy to setup using Leon’s video as a guide (although I am using an XLR to TS cable as recommended in the manual; Leon used an XLR to TRS which is specifically recommended against in the manual lol).

Works like it should. I even setup two presets like Leon did. One to use the amp, another using FM3 amp models. Again, no issues.
Nice!

Are you using any humbuster cables?

I did some more testing with 4CM and my EVH 50w Stealth. I used two presets like Leon described in his 4CM video (again, I used XLR to TS; not XLR to TRS). Basically you setup one preset that uses the real amp’s preamp, and another preset that bypasses the real preamp and uses an amp block into the real amp’s FX loop.

The presets are very basic—just a drive block in front of the amp, delay and reverb after. This makes it super easy to a/b the real amp vs a Fractal model.

I wasn’t trying to exactly replicate the tone of the Stealth. I was trying to determine if the feel is there (actually more of a confirmation as I’ve kinda done this a bit before). The feel is definitely in there. I did tweak a few things that helped (input trim, power amp sag, maybe something else I’m forgetting) but overall it was pretty simple.

With the comfort of knowing I wasn’t sacrificing anything in terms of feel, I turned my attention to tone. I compared clean, crunch, and lead FM3 models to the amp’s green, blue, and red channels on the respectively.

The FM3’s versatility in terms of amp models, and even scratching the surface of its tweakability, actually make it superior to the Stealth’s channels. For example I really like all three channels on the Stealth but when I compare its clean channel to the Double Verb model I can get the model sounding better to me because I can more easily tweak exactly what I want even just using the amp block.

I experimented with the blue channel (which is awesome) vs the Dizzy VH4 Silver Ch 3 model and after a few minutes I was definitely liking the model more. At similar gain levels the model even cleaned up better (and the amp ain’t bad). Same result with the Plexi 100 and HBE models. Additional bonus using models—I’m not limited by the shared EQ between the green and blue channels.

I also experimented with the red channel vs some models. 5153 red, VH4, 6160 block, Recto. Same results as with the other channels. I can easily get the models sounding at least as good if not better.

Keep in mind, I love the Stealth. It’s a phenomenal amp and I could be happy with it and a few pedals. The FM3/Stealth combo is just making me happier

I’m now fully on board with the manual which states, “the 4CM is fairly intricate and has questionable benefits compared to the setup called “”Traditional Guitar Power Amp & Speakers.””

I’ll be just running a 2 cable method: guitar into FM3, Output 1 to the FX loop. Actually, that’s a lie. I’ll be using a 3 cable method. Output 1 will also go to the FX loop of my EVH 50w EL34. Because stereo. :)

I’ll be just running a 2 cable method: guitar into FM3, Output 1 to the FX loop. Actually, that’s a lie. I’ll be using a 3 cable method. Output 1 will also go to the FX loop of my EVH 50w EL34. Because stereo. :)
Your entire post was awesome, but that final line opened my eyes. I never thought to do the same with my 5150....

I updated to Cygnus and loaded the new presets. I was using my Strandberg Fusion into FM3, into Yamaha HS7s turned pretty loud. I want tk thoroughly explore all the new presets, but in about an hour I only made it through the first 18 (000-017).

Baseman presets: I’ve never really gotten along with these but damn they sound amazing. I guess now I realize why those amps are so revered?

Fender Presets: Stellar. They just sound and feel great. I love them clean but I also love them driven. I didn’t think I liked driven Fender tones so much.

Class-A 15 and Top Boost. Vox amps have always been somewhat meh for me as I tend to like either pristine cleans or fairly high gain tones, but damn these sound great. I’m really liking the way they break up.

Marshalls: Damn. That’s sound awesome. I really liked

Highpower: I think I really like this one but want to tweak it a bit. I’ll have to come back to it later.

Mark Amps: I think my favorite is the II C++. I don’t love the others so much. I might like them more if I get in and tweak a bit.

Rectos: Too thick and boomy…which is like the amps are so that’s awesome. I just engaged the drive pedal on them and they’re great. I went ahead and saved these with drives on.

Euro: This one was a big surprise. I didn’t like this preset so much in previous versions, but now it’s incredible. So much so that I could see using it regularly. There’s a long way to go through other amps though obviously.

That’s it for now. I’ll continue to work my way through the presets over the coming weeks. So far, I’m loving Cygnus and the new presets.

Back
Top Bottom