Dead USB port

From what little info I've been able to find on the issue by searching the forum and the response I received via email, the issue might not necessarily be the external USB connector, but something going on internally with the board. To save time I was told they replaced the entire main board to get it up and running again. I will add that the unit was still functional with no performance issues and still had the ability to edit everything onboard, but for my purposes the USB capability is pretty important for editing/recording.

Last edited:
I had an HX Stomp and the thing that goes on them most often is the USB jack. It was suggested on the Line 6 forum that you use an extender like the one below to avoid wear and tear on the Stomp (or FM3)'s USB jack. Of course, that's more for a home or studio use where you might be using the editing software a lot.

Amazon product ASIN B01LPS1I2Y
Mine was a broken plastic insulator in the socket on the back of the unit. It was out or warranty so it was not cheap with shipping and repair costs. Turn around was fast and the plastic insulator in the replacement socket seems to me to be made of slightly sturdier plastic. Fortunately I was not gigging at the time. I was also lucky enough to get one of the FM9’s from the first batch. Since I am back to occasional gigging again, I decided to keep the FM3 as a backup. I also purchased the short USB extension cables to cut down on some of the plugging and unplugging directly into the socket on the back of each of the units. An unintended benefit of the short USB extension cables is that they remind me of the fragile nature of all USB connectors, so I have a tendency to be careful when connecting and disconnecting. They are very inexpensive and act as a good reminder to be careful. There are other threads on the forum addressing this issue. Just FYI.

Last edited:
It’s utterly nonsense to criticize them for using what the rest of the industry uses.

An extender is a poor substitute for the USB design committee and industry having done a lousy job defining the connectors, but it works wonders increasing the money to the industry when we have to buy two things just to avoid damage. Perhaps criticism should be pointed at the committee?

Don't see where I criticized Fractal (or anyone else) for the type of USB connector they use. Just pointed out that USB connector failure has been a long time issue with the HX Stomp (which I used for years before getting the FM3) and that the dongle add-on offers some cheap protection. I have no idea whether Fractal's had a problem with it. Actually, I'd like to see wireless editing options via Bluetooth (in addition to USB) become more prevalent.

I also purchased the short USB extension cables to cut down on some of the plugging and unplugging directly into the socket on the back of each of the units.
When adding a USB extension don't exceed the USB total passive cable length spec (5 meters or 16-ish feet) because it can lead to data or connection errors. I'd add one to my FM9 to avoid the wear and tear, but my unit is already at the end of a 15' cable, and adding an extension would put it right at the maximum.

The good thing is that my FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio pedal board so it sits a bit higher in back, about four inches, and the board extends behind the modeler helping to protect the USB cable and connector, and immediately behind that is a rack for my guitar cases, so there's no reason for me to try to walk behind it and accidentally snag the cable, and I never use USB with the unit anywhere else, so the connector has been living a pretty sheltered life. Now I need to knock on the guitar rack because it's wood.

Last edited:
Cool. What are your thoughts on suitability/stability/durability for rectangular and guitar-shaped cases of various sizes?
I have two and use them for Fender/PRS, Gibson, Martin/Taylor and my gig bags occasionally. They’re stable.

Reactions: Rex
I had the USB dead port issue on my FM3 on june, sent to repair and shipped back with the motherboard replaced. Everything was ok until today, when I found the same issue back again (only 3 months after the repair). Am I really unlucky, or is there a problem of reliability for this unit? I confess that I'm quite worried, also because on January the warranty will be expired...

Anyway, I can only say the best things on Fractal customer service (G66 in my case). Since this is the second issue, they offered me to send a brand new FM3, leave me the time to configure the new unit and send back the damaged unit at their expenses. Really top service, nothing to say...

I had an HX Stomp and the thing that goes on them most often is the USB jack. It was suggested on the Line 6 forum that you use an extender like the one below to avoid wear and tear on the Stomp (or FM3)'s USB jack. Of course, that's more for a home or studio use where you might be using the editing software a lot.

Amazon product ASIN B01LPS1I2Y
No extender pictured or linked...

Just looked at the date of this thread. @jzucker…. Everything turn out ok?

Sean Meredith-Jones

From what little info I've been able to find on the issue by searching the forum and the response I received via email, the issue might not necessarily be the external USB connector, but something going on internally with the board. To save time I was told they replaced the entire main board to get it up and running again. I will add that the unit was still functional with no performance issues and still had the ability to edit everything onboard, but for my purposes the USB capability is pretty important for editing/recording.

This scares me that they had to replace the entire board. My brother's FM3 isn't under warranty and while under my watch it went bad. Just sent in for repair, so hoping for the best...

I purchased the usb extensions for my brother, and to use with my Axe Fx III. Thanks for the recommendation @MikeSRC

After the repair, I receive an email from Fractal service suggesting to use the same power strip for the FM3 and the computer the USB cable is connected to. They Say that in rare cases, the voltage between two outlets might be different causing damages

After the repair, I receive an email from Fractal service suggesting to use the same power strip for the FM3 and the computer the USB cable is connected to. They Say that in rare cases, the voltage between two outlets might be different causing damages
Say WHAT? 😯

Always best to keep audio related gear on the same circuit, mostly for ground noise related issues (60 cycle hum etc), but sometimes for potential between the separate circuits that can be damaging to hardware.

Back
Top Bottom