Dead USB... Again...

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
Programming all morning then this happens:

Ambient temp was at 96, I let it cool down now the USB connection doesn't work at all, ugh. Already sent an email to support as I'm sure it has to go back.

I hope this isn't a temperature issue as it will never survive outdoor gigs if it can't stay on in the studio. So frustrating :-(

The cooling for the FM3 is on the side right? But also I thought on the bottom there's a vent as well. Could the carpet pile be inhibiting cooling?
Like if I have my MacBook on the bed, it's going to get hot just because there's no head dissipation able to happen.

Did you get to see temperature of the device?

The air intake vents are on the side, but the exhaust port with the fan is on the bottom. When I saw the carpet, I wondered the same thing. But one would think that a carpet floor would be safe. I mean, it's just carpet!!! Did you say that the ambient temperature inside was 96 degrees? That IS kinda hot.

Air is drawn in from the side panels and exhausted out of the bottom.
This unit sitting on carpet may block the exhaust , but hard to tell ......

FM3 should be on a hard flat surface.

The air intake vents are on the side, but the exhaust port with the fan is on the bottom. When I saw the carpet, I wondered the same thing. But one would think that a carpet floor would be safe. I mean, it's just carpet!!! Did you say that the ambient temperature inside was 96 degrees? That IS kinda hot.
Yeah ambient temperature of 96 with no way to properly exhaust air could do it. I know typically on some devices USB ports get hot too.

Yep 96. Only reason I thought to check was because it was making a whizzing sound. But I agree, c'mon, it's carpet. How's this thing gonna hold up on an outdoor stage in August?

From the manual:

Page iv:
2. Keep away from sources of heat such as ducts, registers or appliances that produce heat.
Do not obstruct or cover over the side or bottom ventilation holes.

Page 119:
Ventilation: Onboard fan with side and bottom venting. WARNING: Do not block vent holes!

ENVIRONMENTAL
Operating Temperature: 32 to 122 °F (0 to 50 °C)
Storage Temperature: -22 to 167 °F (-30 to 70 °C)
Humidity: Max. 90% non-condensing

Don't use the unit on carpet. That blocks off the bottom exhaust vents. If air can't get out, heat can't get out.

I had the same issue with my last PC after I built it. I didn't immediately notice on the new case that all the fans were blowing out and the air intakes were on the bottom. My carpet was blocking it off and my PC kept doing thermal shutdowns. It has 4 big fans, so I never suspected the case. Once I put in on a board instead of directly on the carpet, it has about 1/2 inch gap at the bottom and hasn't had a thermal issue since.

Last edited:
This just looks like a software bug to me. Not related to hardware or temperature. Possibly an interaction with the preset and FM edit. I’d try starting on a blank preset with FM edit. It’s possible edit started reading all the presets too when it hit one that hung the unit.

I put a piece of wood under mine because of the carpet. did that a while ago. Bit I also think the heat is NOT the issue. I have a few issues also but they have nothing to do with the heat.
I had a white screen at boot up, sporadically, but always booted the second time.
When I installed 104 (not the beta's) it seemed to help. It did happen once after that.
I did make one change but I have no way of knowing if this made any difference. I bought an UPS with a true Sine wave technology.
I have not had the white screen since, but like I said, not sure what made the difference. I still think (but what do I know) it's software.
Mainly because 104 made it so much better (one white screen many weeks ago-none since.

I think this was a thermal issue.....Guess we all know if he checks back in after a cool down period.

Hey Brianv4, after fully cooling has the unit started functioning again, or is it still wonky?
Yes, still wonky after cooling down and no functioning USB so I can't backup presets or load FW.

A while ago I had white screen on boot up and non-functioning USB and it was repaired by Fractal. Got it back and had the mysterious white line anomaly. Now this, ugh. Could be thermal issue, maybe not. It does have airflow and 96 is within the range. Maybe not enough(?) I don't know.

I've tried booting it up on an empty preset, connecting with various cables, on my imac and macbook. Starting with it connected, then not connected, edit open, edit closed, nothing. It works fine if I don't use USB and up until this point it's worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom