dB Levels In Your Primary Listening Place??

la szum

Axe-Master
Whether a rehearsal space, studio, basement, or garage----has anyone else checked the dB levels
when you are either playing solo or with a band, mastering or mixing?

Just curious what those levels might be, and whether some constrain themselves from listening volumes
that may be considered unsafe and too high.

Thanks!! :)

When I'm playing guitar through my headphones I play at a level that I can still hear someone knocking at my front door which is about 10 feet away from where I stand. On the other hand, when I'm listenting to music on the phones, you would have to bang real hard for me yo hear you.

My rule of thumb is if I'm playing with a drummer on an acoustic kit, I'm wearing earplugs. And I never stand in direct line of fire of a singers monitor because they have a burning need to hear themselves over everything. Mix that in with a drummer on an acoustic kit and you are hitting 95+db in no time. If I'm just jamming with a bass player we're usually around 85db or below, so I generally won't plug up on those occasions.

Calibrated the sweet spot SPL in my studio so I can not exceed 80 dB while I’m mixing. When I’m mastering I go down a couple of dB. Unfortunately my previous years on stage (mainly in the 80s) with a level above 100 dB left some damages to my ears…

My rule of thumb is if I'm playing with a drummer on an acoustic kit, I'm wearing earplugs. And I never stand in direct line of fire of a singers monitor because they have a burning need to hear themselves over everything. Mix that in with a drummer on an acoustic kit and you are hitting 95+db in no time. If I'm just jamming with a bass player we're usually around 85db or below, so I generally won't plug up on those occasions.

I am religious about wearing some kind of ear protection when playing with a live drummer. I also
wear them if I am going to a show. I even put them in when I vacuum, mow the grass, or use any
kind of machinery.

85dB is the "sweet spot" from a level perspective. I don't mix at that level for very long, but it is a good reference.

this thread has me looking for a rackmount spl/rta analyzer just for the heck of it.. If anyone can recommend one I'm all ears. My rack can always use a bit more bling

I have an SPL meter in my music room and try to keep the spl at 85 db or less. Much more then that and I'll have the local constabulary at my door, especially in the summer when the house is all opened up.

OSHA limits are a pretty good frame of reference for safe exposure.

View attachment 97640

Anything north of those levels and you should probably be wearing ear protection.
Based on my own experience, using a SPL meter on my iPhone, in a room that was peaking at 111db and averaging 106db, I didn't want to go without protection for any longer than it took to get my earplugs in. The NIOSH limits are much more conservative and I'll stick with those. I can't imagine 30 minutes at 105db. Ugh!

I am religious about wearing some kind of ear protection when playing with a live drummer. I also
wear them if I am going to a show. I even put them in when I vacuum, mow the grass, or use any
kind of machinery.
Same here. If you don't have a meter and are in doubt, a good rule of thumb is that if you can't carry on a conversation with someone 3 feet away, then you need earplugs.

When mixing 80-85 Db.
Lower levels when practicing or only playing.
At rehearsal surely higher levels and live "one louder".
I tried several times ear protection at rehearsal but can't stand it.
Missing too much and feeling like I'm not in the room an beeing uncomfortable with it.
Sure be better using it but I can't.

When mixing 80-85 Db.
Lower levels when practicing or only playing.
At rehearsal surely higher levels and live "one louder".
I tried several times ear protection at rehearsal but can't stand it.
Missing too much and feeling like I'm not in the room an beeing uncomfortable with it.
Sure be better using it but I can't.
You've got to stick with it for awhile. Like anything else you can become accustomed. I hated wearing earplugs when I started flying, but before long it just became natural and "felt right".

I think the original question was about listening scenarios, not performance.

But, one piece of advice re live performances. If you use in-ears, try taking one out and balancing the level with your stage sound. I found I was playing in-ears way louder than the stage volume. Kinda defeats the protection benefit of in-ears. It sounded great turned down, but the sound is so clean, you can end up turning up too loud.

You've got to stick with it for awhile. Like anything else you can become accustomed. I hated wearing earplugs when I started flying, but before long it just became natural and "felt right".
Yes I know and tried it several times for a while. But even after months I can't stand it and feeling isolated during rehearsal.
It's not wearing earplugs itself it is the sound and isolation that is uncomfortable to me.
Had to wear earplugs for work 8 hours a day end of 80s and beginning of 90s.
That's not problem.

Back
Top Bottom