Dayum, Carol-Ann Tucana 3

That gif cannot be the last comment, god damn it!

But yeah there's plenty of amps I didn't know before I bought the axe fx!

Hey Guys,

I was the hold up on this one, getting a schematic to Cliff.

Now I can only speak for the actual amp, but my preference of speaker is a Celestion Creamback 65, though I gig these regularly with a 2x12 with Celestion T75's. Its pretty forgiving on speakers compared with some models.

The foot controller and bias monitor are two of the wonderful features of the actual amp, but are both moot in the model......unless Cliff wants to model the effects of real world mains power fluctuations from place to place, but the 'green zone' of the bias monitor is 62-65% plate idle dissipation power and it measures and compensates for plate voltage and screen power , which means the real amp runs best at a slightly cooler bias. The bias monitor just allows you to set that consistently from venue to venue regardless of the main power.

All i can say is that i want that Tucana 3 badly, man it sounds marvellous!

I love the soft attack and the squishy, chewy goodness that makes these amps sing. This is great news! If I ever own a real tube amp again, it will definitely be a Carol-Ann.

How freakin' cool is it that the owner of Carol-Ann amps is talking to the owner of Fractal and they are sharing amps that are going to make our ears very happy! YOU TWO ROCK IN EVERY ASPECT! (sorry for the screaming). Woot x infinity!!!

I usually don't get excited about real amps or amp models bc I'm more of an FX guy but that amp sounds so versatile. I think it will be perfect for my playing style. "Soon" can't come "soon" enough!!!

How freakin' cool is it that the owner of Carol-Ann amps is talking to the owner of Fractal and they are sharing amps that are going to make our ears very happy! YOU TWO ROCK IN EVERY ASPECT! (sorry for the screaming). Woot x infinity!!!

Cliff and I live in the same area, knew of each other from the same live music scene and most importantly of all, we are both classic car owners and go to the same local car shows.
I do repairs for him on any amps he kills in the process of giving you guys these models and he has advised me greatly on some of the new microcontroller features I'm including in the CA amps. He's probably forgotten more than many amp builders actually know about electronic engineering and tube amp design. We have some really interesting conversations.

Cliff and I live in the same area, knew of each other from the same live music scene and most importantly of all, we are both classic car owners and go to the same local car shows.
I do repairs for him on any amps he kills in the process of giving you guys these models and he has advised me greatly on some of the new microcontroller features I'm including in the CA amps. He's probably forgotten more than many amp builders actually know about electronic engineering and tube amp design. We have some really interesting conversations.

That is pretty awesome!

Request

Please record all conversations for posterity ;-)

Wow. How awesome. I'm a brand new AXE XL owner, and after about 10 days or so I'm already looking forward to getting another brand new amp model... for free... I mean, it's really amazing.

I am seeing very clearly just why this thing is so popular and what a great experience being a Fractal customer is. What is also amazing to me is how it seems that every company that associates with Fractal is over the top cool. Cliff and CO seem to not only redefined the future of guitar amplification, but also the entire business. Love the service and attitude of Fractal, and it seems that I have just become a fan of an amp company that I didn't really know much about before.

Can't wait for this model to hit.

It's in my best interest the models are as good as possible.
It also helps that Cliff is a close friend of mine and I trust him implicitly. He's a perfectionist, he wants the models to sound great as much as I do.
Alan, do you have an Axe-Fx and have compared the Carol Ann models to the real amps ? you as the designer of those amps probably know not only their tone but also feel and response better than anyone else. would be interesting to hear your opinion on this.

Alan, do you have an Axe-Fx and have compared the Carol Ann models to the real amps ? you as the designer of those amps probably know not only their tone but also feel and response better than anyone else. would be interesting to hear your opinion on this.

I'm being very careful with this question because the answer is different depending on application. I use an amp live and always will. I like the feel of a 50W amp and the Tucana 3 was designed for my own application, nothing can beat the actual piece a person designs for himself and his own needs. I find the Axe an awesome tool for recording and I even posted an Axe recorded clip on the CA facebook that a gentleman from France did because I was really impressed with it. If I was doing a lot of fly in gigs, I would use one live over a rental rig any day. My preference with using an Axe in live situation is through a tube power amp and cabinet, not direct to the PA. Remember this is one persons opinion based on his own needs and application.
Even I have a hard time discerning between a real amp and the emulation of the Triptik model in a good recording and in some cases I think there's a much better chance of an amateur player being able to record a track more successfully at home with the Axe than they ever could with the actual amp.
I don't subscribe to the modeling vs Tubes BS you see on forums. Both technologies are great if used correctly. They are tools not political statements.

I absolutely love this thread and I am blown away by this amp. I think if I buy a new amp this has to be it. The design is so practical too. Can't wait to test drive the model. Thanks Alan for the amp and Cliff for modeling it.

I'm being very careful with this question because the answer is different depending on application. I use an amp live and always will. I like the feel of a 50W amp and the Tucana 3 was designed for my own application, nothing can beat the actual piece a person designs for himself and his own needs. I find the Axe an awesome tool for recording and I even posted an Axe recorded clip on the CA facebook that a gentleman from France did because I was really impressed with it. If I was doing a lot of fly in gigs, I would use one live over a rental rig any day. My preference with using an Axe in live situation is through a tube power amp and cabinet, not direct to the PA. Remember this is one persons opinion based on his own needs and application.
Even I have a hard time discerning between a real amp and the emulation of the Triptik model in a good recording and in some cases I think there's a much better chance of an amateur player being able to record a track more successfully at home with the Axe than they ever could with the actual amp.
I don't subscribe to the modeling vs Tubes BS you see on forums. Both technologies are great if used correctly. They are tools not political statements.
fair enough ! and by no means I meant to put you on the spot with my question. I really should have specified the application, as this is usually what I tell people as well when being asked "does it really sound/feel/etc. like amp x/y". I've recorded many real amps in studios and totally agree with you that real amps can easily sound a lot worse in the wrong engineer's hands than the Axe...

This is so cool :) I had never heard of Carol-Ann amps prior to owning the Axe FX II. Now that I have, and played through the models extensively, Carol-Ann is on the top of my list of Amp Manufacturers if I were to go all tube. I love when the Amp makers work with Cliff, everyone wins this way!

Yeah, but you have to admit that you kind of have an unfair advantage that enables you to take the high road on that kind of subject. Most of these ridiculous arguments and stuff stem from insecurity and inferiority complexes.....I mean come on man....you make these amps....you hear them everyday.....there really isn't a plausible argument that someone could make that you can't just laugh off. It's kind of like a short fat kid telling LeBron James that he can't play basketball; it's just not going to keep him up at night. :)

Back
Top Bottom