Day 21..(Output 1/Output 2 sends)

Randy Alanis

Inspired
Happy (belated) Independence Day to those of us in The U.S!

as I start week 3 of fiddling around with my AX8 (New to fractal, anything with amp/cab sims) I've arrived to a point where I'm happy at home & rehearsal for the time being sound wise..& am getting an understanding of AX8-Edit & Frac-Pad but I'm curious...

Output 1 has XLR L & R & 2- 1/4'' Outs.
Output 2 has 2 - 1/4'' Outs.

currently I am using the Main L XLR from output 1 to go into my Powered monitor (just picked up an EV-ZLX12P to get a feel for things) before this monitor I used the Main L from output 1 to go into our PA.

my question is, moving forward because of the output 1 & output 2 volume knobs on the AX8 itself...what's the "industry standard" as far as running your outs..?

I read in the manual that the XLR outs from output 1 should go to a mixer/monitor but I've also read within this group how some folks run their output 1 to their monitor onstage & send the signal from the monitor out to the FOH....simultaneously I've also read how people send XLR L&R to the FOH & Output 2 to their on stage reference monitor....

what would you guys & gals consider the "best practice"?

(if it involves utilizing output 2) would I have to add another chain in my setup or is there a duplicate signal being sent to all outputs that only becomes enabled when something is plugged in/the corresponding knob is turned up..?

thanks in advanced!

- Randy from Texas!

There are many ways to route your signal, depending on your needs and band setup..If you always have to send a signal to FOH and another to your stage monitor, IMO the "best" way is to use output 1 XLR(s) to FOH and output 2 to your monitor, that way, you can make onstage adjustments to your monitor without affecting FOH. (Assuming you never run anything thru your FX loop, which bypasses Output 2) you also need to make sure that you are echoing Output 1 into output 2 ( in I/O menu on ax8 front panel)

There are many ways to route your signal, depending on your needs and band setup..If you always have to send a signal to FOH and another to your stage monitor, IMO the "best" way is to use output 1 XLR(s) to FOH and output 2 to your monitor, that way, you can make onstage adjustments to your monitor without affecting FOH. (Assuming you never run anything thru your FX loop, which bypasses Output 2) you also need to make sure that you are echoing Output 1 into output 2 ( in I/O menu on ax8 front panel)
I currently do not have anything in the FX loop...I did have an old school DMC wah pedal I thought about placing there to see how it would sound but I have no intention at the moment of doing so anytime soon.

when I get home I will check to make sure output 1 is being echoed onto output 2 as you mentioned.

maybe a little off topic here but, as I've been using output 1 I've noticed on occasion that the FX Clip light illuminates on the AX8...if there's nothing in the FX loop or output 2...this would just refer to the peaking occurring because of how the parameters for that preset/scene are set right..?

I currently do not have anything in the FX loop...I did have an old school DMC wah pedal I thought about placing there to see how it would sound but I have no intention at the moment of doing so anytime soon.

when I get home I will check to make sure output 1 is being echoed onto output 2 as you mentioned.

maybe a little off topic here but, as I've been using output 1 I've noticed on occasion that the FX Clip light illuminates on the AX8...if there's nothing in the FX loop or output 2...this would just refer to the peaking occurring because of how the parameters for that preset/scene are set right..?
Yes.

I have a much better feel for things now..i also upgraded to an atomic clr which made a noticeable difference to say the least :) (now to decide on a "Le Cover" or "Studio Slips" for it...

on another note, do any of you utilize a DI box before going to the FOH? (I've read some people that do) if you do, whats the benefit in this application..

thanks in advanced.

I have a much better feel for things now..i also upgraded to an atomic clr which made a noticeable difference to say the least :) (now to decide on a "Le Cover" or "Studio Slips" for it...

on another note, do any of you utilize a DI box before going to the FOH? (I've read some people that do) if you do, whats the benefit in this application..

thanks in advanced.

DI is not necessary. In I/O you can switch between Line and Microphone level output, to match the mixing console's input.

Back
Top Bottom