DAW with best Included Plugins?

Rane

Experienced
Hey guys!

I've got about $300 for a new DAW. I don't have a big collection of plugins, so I want something that has a good compressors, eq, reverb, delay... etc. I've already got Ableton Live Suite, EZ Drummer 2, and Melodyne.

I'm thinking Cubase Artist 8, Logic Pro X, or maybe Studio One 3...

Any thoughts?

you on a mac or PC? if Mac, i think that Logic comes w the most instruments and synths. If you have Ableton Live, you may want to consider upgrading to their Full Suite. If on PC then maybe just get Pro Tools. it has some really nice synths and VI's.

I personally love Ableton Live and use it extensively. its Really user friendly. I am personally sick and tired of Pro Tools. I mess around in Logic X a lot too and its really got some super awesome plugins that you can use right out of the box. It also has a huge library download once you get the program installed. It also has that new Drummer plugin that is really easy to use. good luck!

Logic Pro X's compressors are excellent, I use them all the time rather than other compressor plug-ins I've collected over time. And the Space Designer and Delay Designer covers most of reverb (IR included) and delay effects. I would though invest in a good mastering plugin such as Ozone to complement any DAW concerning final home-grown mastering.

PS: Now I also use Ableton Live but that's mostly for fluid audio experimentation.

So, I went with Logic X. :)

Ableton's a great live/creative tool (I do have the Suite version), but I can't stand the way it requires that you go into session mode in order to do recording takes. There's no way to get it to automatically loop the takes without a work-around, so you're stuck with a really awkward workflow when you're trying do real recording. I bought it for doing live click/back-tracks, but it's ended up as my main DAW for the last 3 years. I'm looking forward to something different.

FWIW, don't underestimate Studio One 3 Professional. A few years back I dumped PT for S1 and have zero regrets. The feature set and stock plugs are first-class to say the least. The workflow is great. Too many features to list here. Their site, google, and youtube have vast amounts of info for those curious.

Yeah, I looked into Studio One 3. I loved the demo I downloaded. Very easy workflow. My favorite feature was the way you could have a track list on one monitor and quickly highlight tracks without having to scroll through stuff.

I think Logic just has a little more in terms of included sounds, instruments and effects. Maybe I'll give Studio One a shot next time around. :)

Logic here as well. I bought it way back when it was about $1K for the full version. Now it's $200 for an even better version! Lots of basic effects, lots of synths. I would recommend as one other user did that you pickup up Izotope Ozone for mastering - incredible tool. I also use some other Izotope plugins (Nectar 2 and Alloy 2), and a few UAD plugins (I have a UAD-2 card) to round things out.

After 20+ years using Logic I switched to Studio 1 Ver. 3. Cosmetically not quite as "pretty" as Logic, but functional way more versatile.

Joe Gilder has done about 100+ free tuts for Prosonus that are done from the perspective from a pro mixer that actually uses the software. Funny, down to earth guy with great teaching skills.

I don't think anything out there matches Logic X for plugins, samples, etc included in the base price. The value with Logic X is really incredible. And the stuff it comes with actually sounds...good. :)

It has many up sides, but its old code and is slow and inflexible in so many ways when compared to Studio One V3. I enjoyed working with Logic for many years, but I am extremely glad I switched when I see what newer code is capable of. ;)

It has many up sides, but its old code and is slow and inflexible in so many ways when compared to Studio One V3. I enjoyed working with Logic for many years, but I am extremely glad I switched when I see what newer code is capable of. ;)
How do you know it's old code? Does it smelly musty? :D

Back
Top Bottom