DAW - USB 3 vs USB 2 direct recording

GuttaLaser

Power User
Hi ppl...

I'm getting crazy with a prob in my recording sessions with my DAW.

DAW is Nuendo 4.3 running on a Win 7 64bit mobile workstation (HP 8770w CORE i7 proc - 4 physics cores and 8 logic cores - with 16Gb ram and a 7200rpm HD).
Axe FW is the latest 16.04

The prob is that randomly the DAW stop recording: the backing track still running but the recording track stop recording (the cursor go haead but no waveform... only a line... and if i hit the stop switch the cursor go back to the point where the draw of the wavwform stopped).
Randomly the prob change I get an error like "disk error: too many tracks recording" but I have only a stereo backing track and 1 stereo guitar track from the Axe
When all this happen the VST ASIO FAS driver is still ok: I can restart recording (but the problem is there again!)
Sometimes the glitch is also in the playback mode (not recording): the playback stop and for some seconds i see the running circle of the mouse cursor... than the playback restart

I googled the whole www and I sow something about something similar this prob. Checked all the advise about (power settings are all maxed out, so no suspend of HDD or USB ports!) and all the trash processes and services in Windows are stopped.
The ASIO latency in the daw is in "relaxed" mode and the USB buffer on the Axe is 1024.

Anyway... the prob is still there... and the daw is unusable!!!!! :mad:

But today I realized that (dunno why) I started linking the Axe to the USB 3.0 port instead the 2.0 port.

I need all the help from the best ppl on the planet (and they/you are all there: the best ppl always get the best gear!!!)... so... here's my questions
1) any general advice about this specific glitch in a Nuendo 4.3 daw on Win 7 64?
2) is the USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0 absolutely a "no go" way?... and if yes why? (need to know why I'm totally crazy now!!!)
3) there is something I must check on the Axe after the last 16.04 upgrade
4) there is someting wrong with the AXE USB driver (anyway are the last of the FAS site)... can the USB driver be corrupted? must I reinstall it?

please... need help... recording session with my band this w/e.... and I'm the DAW guy!!! :mask:

TNX

I have no experience with Nuendo but I use my USB 3 on my laptop with win7 64, 3rd Gen core i5, 6 Gb ram. Without issues. I use Ableton 9 mostly, but also fruity loops and goldwave for wave editing.

My problem with axe usb is that it makes most of my presets go into CPU overload and as such I've moved on to going analog out into my X32 producer and then tracking with its audio driver which does 32 in/32 out simultaneously without a hiccup over usb.

I have no experience with Nuendo but I use my USB 3 on my laptop with win7 64, 3rd Gen core i5, 6 Gb ram. Without issues. I use Ableton 9 mostly, but also fruity loops and goldwave for wave editing.

My problem with axe usb is that it makes most of my presets go into CPU overload and as such I've moved on to going analog out into my X32 producer and then tracking with its audio driver which does 32 in/32 out simultaneously without a hiccup over usb.

Humm... very interesting! good for you! :hopelessness:

I had a similar problem with cubase 7.5 on my mac using a small usb hub. Switched to another brand and everything was ok.
So if you connect thru a hub try to connect your axe directly into your computer... or try another hub brand.

I had a similar problem with cubase 7.5 on my mac using a small usb hub. Switched to another brand and everything was ok.
So if you connect thru a hub try to connect your axe directly into your computer... or try another hub brand.

no usb hub here! 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on board!

Hi ppl...

DAW is Nuendo 4.3 running on a Win 7 64bit mobile workstation (HP 8770w CORE i7 proc - 4 physics cores and 8 logic cores - with 16Gb ram and a 7200rpm HD).

The prob is that randomly the DAW stop recording: the backing track still running but the recording track stop recording (the cursor go haead but no waveform... only a line... and if i hit the stop switch the cursor go back to the point where the draw of the wavwform stopped).
Randomly the prob change I get an error like "disk error: too many tracks recording" but I have only a stereo backing track and 1 stereo guitar track from the Axe
When all this happen the VST ASIO FAS driver is still ok: I can restart recording (but the problem is there again!)
Sometimes the glitch is also in the playback mode (not recording): the playback stop and for some seconds i see the running circle of the mouse cursor... than the playback restart

I googled the whole www and I sow something about something similar this prob. Checked all the advise about (power settings are all maxed out, so no suspend of HDD or USB ports!) and all the trash processes and services in Windows are stopped.
The ASIO latency in the daw is in "relaxed" mode and the USB buffer on the Axe is 1024.

But today I realized that (dunno why) I started linking the Axe to the USB 3.0 port instead the 2.0 port.

I need all the help from the best ppl on the planet (and they/you are all there: the best ppl always get the best gear!!!)... so... here's my questions
1) any general advice about this specific glitch in a Nuendo 4.3 daw on Win 7 64?
2) is the USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0 absolutely a "no go" way?... and if yes why? (need to know why I'm totally crazy now!!!)
4) there is someting wrong with the AXE USB driver (anyway are the last of the FAS site)... can the USB driver be corrupted? must I reinstall it?

please... need help... recording session with my band this w/e.... and I'm the DAW guy!!! :mask:

TNX

Do you have IRQ conflicts between your USB and something else that's shared?

Sometimes the MoBo can be finnicky with SHARC-based systems (or vice-versa), although most i7/i5 boards aren't problematic with SHARCs. The intel boards seem to be the most stable. The 1155-type MoBo has been problematic in other SHARC-based audio systems.

Although I appreciate you wanting to have Axe-Edit open while tracking (I would do the same), it may not be entirely necessary once your patches and scenes are sorted (pre-production).

Do you have IRQ conflicts between your USB and something else that's shared?

Sometimes the MoBo can be finnicky with SHARC-based systems (or vice-versa), although most i7/i5 boards aren't problematic with SHARCs. The intel boards seem to be the most stable. The 1155-type MoBo has been problematic in other SHARC-based audio systems.

Although I appreciate you wanting to have Axe-Edit open while tracking (I would do the same), it may not be entirely necessary once your patches and scenes are sorted (pre-production).

Nope... no IRQ conflict and no Axe Edit opened!
The only change i made in the system is to update the graphic card drivers (nVidia Quadro K3000M that is an OpenGL professional 3D card with 2Gb ram).

Hi ppl...

TNX

When you are using the laptop, is it in the room with the loud sound ? Like sitting in front of or on top of an amp or speaker? I know a few cases, mac and pc where the vibration causes this on magnetic disks. I only use SSD's. Sit the laptop on some foam. I know it sounds crazy but this is more common than you think.

When you are using the laptop, is it in the room with the loud sound ? Like sitting in front of or on top of an amp or speaker? I know a few cases, mac and pc where the vibration causes this on magnetic disks. I only use SSD's. Sit the laptop on some foam. I know it sounds crazy but this is more common than you think.

yeah man... TNX... I know this prob... the accelerometer sensor that park the disk heads just in case of fall down of the notebook.
But the probs occur even at low volume... and the notebook is on a table far away from the speakers

yeah man... TNX... I know this prob... the accelerometer sensor that park the disk heads just in case of fall down of the notebook.
But the probs occur even at low volume... and the notebook is on a table far away from the speakers

I am assuming that you have already updated all of your drivers, chipset, audio, etc... I am also assuming that you have tried the AXE in all of your other USB ports and the problem is on the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports. I have had several problems using usb 3.0 and have to use the usb 2.0 ports both on my MAC and PC.

I am assuming that you have already updated all of your drivers, chipset, audio, etc... I am also assuming that you have tried the AXE in all of your other USB ports and the problem is on the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports. I have had several problems using usb 3.0 and have to use the usb 2.0 ports both on my MAC and PC.

Well I think all about drivers it's ok... i mean... the prob started at some point in the timeline while before everything was fine.
But dunno why i started to hook the usb to the usb 3.0 instead the 2.0. But now even in the 2.0 i have the stop recording prob and the "too many tracks recording" message even with 1 playback track and 1 recording track.
In the time things on the pc are changed... i mean... updated the Net Framework set... some vcredit package... all the last runtimes... the nvidia drivers of the graphic card... many progz... but i don't have a log of every change i made and i can't roll back (my mobile workstation is a video editing/3d graphic workstation and the daw it's only a little part - and not the most critical - of the whole system that is a wide DCC platform).
So i'm going in the dark searching the origin of the problem.
But I'm very interested about the problems you mentioned using the usb 3.0 vs usb 2.0 ports (PC side)... can be more specific about this point? every little thing and info can help!
TNX

Back
Top Bottom