DAW, sample rates

famished

Hi all ... so, I've seen the post where Cliff described why he doesn't include a sample rate converter: that software converters are as good or better in his estimation, so he's encouraging us to use our DAW converters, or something close to this effect.

OK, so, being that the case, I'm ruminating what sample rate to set my new ProTools sessions to, when I start recording again. On the one hand, I could just keep it all in 48kHz. Or, I could go in analog and record at any sample rate I like. Or I could go in 48kHz digital, and then convert to a higher sample rate.

With other instruments besides elec guitar, it might be argued that voice and drums for instance could benefit from more depth.

Any opinions or experience in this direction that someone could share? I was just surfing the Internet a bit, and found some engineers talking, and they're mostly up in the 96kHz range. They're saying it's better to record and mix up there, and then bounce down. They're reporting an improvement, vs. just recording and mixing at the lower sample rate.

EDIT: I ask this because aware that the Fractal Audio has compression and eq on board, and not wanting to finance Waves anymore if I can avoid it, having a whole session in 48kHz means I could go out to Fractal Audio for compression, eq, room tone, etc.

For me analog is OK but...

If you are serious about this get a "higher end" sound card that can accept any sample rate input and be done with it.
This way you can have your SPDIF input at 48KHZ and run your DAW at 96KHZ at the same time.

;)

Guys ... then does this, in your mind, preclude the possibility/benefits of coming back out of the DAW, to use the Fractal for eq, compression, and room tone?

Back
Top Bottom