DAW program changes cause saved patches to sound different?

sharchik

Hey guys,

When running program changes for live switching in Pro Tools (have not tested in other DAWs) My simple patch of amp & cab sounds different after it is switched to via a program change in Pro Tools.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.31.19 PM.png

My saved patch sounds fine, a distorted rhythm sound with decent gain.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.31.56 PM.png

When the Axe Fx is set to another patch, and a Program Change is used in Pro Tools to switch to this same saved patch, the amp sounds thin and low gain.

* All the settings look identical to the saved patch I made before testing the program change.

I'm running Firmware 6.03 but the same issue was happening in 5.0 as well. I can test with 8.0 but wanted to hear your thoughts first.

Thank you!
Sam

upload the preset.

Well this is a little embarrassing, the patch changes are used for a live show of course, but I tried to recreate the loss of gain and tone by recording myself strumming while the program change took effect. And now the tone remains consistent... I'm not sure if it was the frequent restarts that got the Axe Fx running again correctly or the fact that I was recording it that fixed it. During all of these tests Axe Edit was open.

I was having trouble getting Axe Edit to connect to my Axe Fx for a moment and restarted my computer that seemed to fix the issue. I'm not sure what else it could have been and I hope no one else has this issue since I didn't necessarily solve it. I assume restarting the computer did the most help.

Thank you Chris,
Sam

Well this is a little embarrassing, the patch changes are used for a live show of course, but I tried to recreate the loss of gain and tone by recording myself strumming while the program change took effect. And now the tone remains consistent... I'm not sure if it was the frequent restarts that got the Axe Fx running again correctly or the fact that I was recording it that fixed it. During all of these tests Axe Edit was open.

I was having trouble getting Axe Edit to connect to my Axe Fx for a moment and restarted my computer that seemed to fix the issue. I'm not sure what else it could have been and I hope no one else has this issue since I didn't necessarily solve it. I assume restarting the computer did the most help.

Thank you Chris,
Sam
keep us updated.

Fractal does not accept bug reports for any firmware other than the latest. They have said so many times. Install the latest firmware and test again.

I may have had this when I started testing on the latest firmware but now I'm not sure. About to rehearse again and will test once more with the newest firmware. That's a solid mantra for them though that makes perfect sense. The guys at Fractal are great, our other guitarist has a MKII now as well :) Will update this shortly.

Pro Tools might be sending the track's pan setting as CC#10, which (unlike most synth/keyboard gear) controls input volume by default on the Axe-FX. If you can't locate a way to disable that in PT, try setting input volume to "none" at the Axe I/O: CTRL page.

Sadly enough, i recently bought an axe fx 2 xl plus and running it in fl studio to midi change de patches, and it does the same thing, did you found what you did to fix the issue?

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but you get a slight difference in tone when Axe Edit is open. I notice this if I play with a preset for a while without opening axe edit, and then once opened it gets "warmer" sounding? Its strange actually.

it's really when the DAW changes the patch, maybe that is another issue in link with the axe edit and not the DAW or midi itself?

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but you get a slight difference in tone when Axe Edit is open. I notice this if I play with a preset for a while without opening axe edit, and then once opened it gets "warmer" sounding? Its strange actually.
I have not experienced that.

Do a blind test. Get someone else to start/stop the editor while you play and can't see.

I don't think you'll find a difference because there editor running or not has no effect on the sound.

Maybe you are changing positions while you run the editor vs when you don't?

any of you guys is familiar with the original problem of this thread, thats what i have right now and i can't seem to find an answer anywhere in the forum

I run Axe FX II Ares 2.x with Pro Tools and LIVE, with and without the Editor, no PC problems?

When the Editor is running via USB at any rate, the PC's will be slower than without the Editor running, that's the only thing I've ever noticed, but again, I'm running the latest FW for Axe II.

Are you sure all of the various blocks are not passing audio while off?

Passing audio while off? I dont get what you mean, but the pc sent by midi just makes the sound « thinner » i guess i could say, i have for example a lofi rythm guitar patch, and when i change it via my midi, the signal cant even pass through the noise gate at the point that its so thin like theres no gain or anything

Passing audio while off? I dont get what you mean, but the pc sent by midi just makes the sound « thinner » i guess i could say, i have for example a lofi rythm guitar patch, and when i change it via my midi, the signal cant even pass through the noise gate at the point that its so thin like theres no gain or anything
Thanks a lot for the replies guys by the way!

You may want to run a Midi monitor and observe what midi is being transmitted. I suspect something other than just a PC is being transmitted.

I assume it will work with straight midi over USB. I've only used it in conjunction with a USB to midi adapter, but Midi OX works well.

Yes, if you're switching between the two amp/cabs, and the one that is off is still unprocessed passing audio, you might have some phase problems?

Unix-guy has the answer for checking your MIDI stream, run a MIDI Monitor and see exactly what is happening etc.

Good luck...

The only MIDI issue I've ever encountered with the Axe FX II interfacing with external software has been the below with Ableton LIVE v9.x/10.x.

The below MIDI CC data problem was created by LIVE via editing MIDI. The problem was unidentified MIDI data repeatedly being sent on the beat, which was choking the Axe and making it's Scene changes way too slow (our whole show is run via LIVE, backing tracks, teleprompter, lights, FX changes for all).

a) The problem was Breath Controller Fine (value "5") was getting sent when MIDI CC 34 value was > "0" (CC 34 is the standard Axe FX II Scene selector)?

b) I didn't have any Breath Controller crap in my MIDI files exported from Pro Tools , but LIVE created Breath Controller Fine data during editing, defaults it to "5", then repeatedly sends it every 1/4 note, and it can't shut it off in LIVE (goofy!)?

c) My problem was that the Axe FX has a Scene Mode called "Scene Revert" which was set on (so one can edit one's Scene on the fly, though the next time you call that Scene it reverts to the saved version).

d) The problem was when the above Breath Controller Fine data was received by the Axe FX on every quarter note, it was reverting it's Scene even though it had not been edited, or called, and essentially choking the Axe FX II.

e) Turning off the Axe FX's Scene Revert feature fixed it.

The mind "boggles" LOL...

I used a nice free utility called MidiView, and looped the LIVE MIDI track's output back into the computer to see what was up, and then ended up fixing the LIVE MIDI tracks in Pro Tools and re-importing to LIVE (and no longer editing Scene Controller MIDI in LIVE with regards to the Axe FX II's FX tracks).

Oh well, live and learn, then forget LOL!

Good luck...

Last edited:
Ok so i tried the midi motnitor but i didn’t knew how to make it work, but i resolved the problem by putting the channels from 1 to 3, so on channel 3 it works, if anyone have the same problem try this, i dont know what caused this on channel one tho. Thanks guys for the help

Back
Top Bottom