• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

DAW program changes cause saved patches to sound different?

sharchik

Hey guys,

When running program changes for live switching in Pro Tools (have not tested in other DAWs) My simple patch of amp & cab sounds different after it is switched to via a program change in Pro Tools.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.31.19 PM.png

My saved patch sounds fine, a distorted rhythm sound with decent gain.

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.31.56 PM.png

When the Axe Fx is set to another patch, and a Program Change is used in Pro Tools to switch to this same saved patch, the amp sounds thin and low gain.

* All the settings look identical to the saved patch I made before testing the program change.

I'm running Firmware 6.03 but the same issue was happening in 5.0 as well. I can test with 8.0 but wanted to hear your thoughts first.

Thank you!
Sam

sharchik

upload the preset.
Well this is a little embarrassing, the patch changes are used for a live show of course, but I tried to recreate the loss of gain and tone by recording myself strumming while the program change took effect. And now the tone remains consistent... I'm not sure if it was the frequent restarts that got the Axe Fx running again correctly or the fact that I was recording it that fixed it. During all of these tests Axe Edit was open.

I was having trouble getting Axe Edit to connect to my Axe Fx for a moment and restarted my computer that seemed to fix the issue. I'm not sure what else it could have been and I hope no one else has this issue since I didn't necessarily solve it. I assume restarting the computer did the most help.

Thank you Chris,
Sam

chris

Legend!
Well this is a little embarrassing, the patch changes are used for a live show of course, but I tried to recreate the loss of gain and tone by recording myself strumming while the program change took effect. And now the tone remains consistent... I'm not sure if it was the frequent restarts that got the Axe Fx running again correctly or the fact that I was recording it that fixed it. During all of these tests Axe Edit was open.

I was having trouble getting Axe Edit to connect to my Axe Fx for a moment and restarted my computer that seemed to fix the issue. I'm not sure what else it could have been and I hope no one else has this issue since I didn't necessarily solve it. I assume restarting the computer did the most help.

Thank you Chris,
Sam
keep us updated.

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
Fractal does not accept bug reports for any firmware other than the latest. They have said so many times. Install the latest firmware and test again.

sharchik

I may have had this when I started testing on the latest firmware but now I'm not sure. About to rehearse again and will test once more with the newest firmware. That's a solid mantra for them though that makes perfect sense. The guys at Fractal are great, our other guitarist has a MKII now as well :) Will update this shortly.

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Pro Tools might be sending the track's pan setting as CC#10, which (unlike most synth/keyboard gear) controls input volume by default on the Axe-FX. If you can't locate a way to disable that in PT, try setting input volume to "none" at the Axe I/O: CTRL page.

Top Bottom